WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by esteel View Post
    ...Tried some of the suggested ways here to put it together but it was not as stable i had hoped. Guess the cord holds much better with round wood. But after drilling holes into the top of the tripods it turned out just great....
    Nice stand and welcome to HF.

The stability issue probably just needed a little different lashing technique. If you do another one, you might try tripod lashing methods linked here.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Nice stand and welcome to HF.

The stability issue probably just needed a little different lashing technique. If you do another one, you might try tripod lashing methods linked here.
    Thanks for the welcome.

And good illustrations, thanks˛. I'll remember those when trying something new. But honestly I can rather see myself trying to reduce it to bipods as the tripods really take away a lot of space. Like a mix of the turtlelady and the oldgringo stand (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=33309). I like wood a lot more then the steel oldgringo used

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    That 3rd leg really gives this stand the stability it needs. That being said I have hung from a monopod (if there is such a word) Got the idea from Risk. One solid anchor point like a tree and the other was a 2x4 board. Board had a notch in the top to hold the suspension cord and an anchor point on the ground behind it. Also did this with a tripod of fence poles also with an anchor to a fixed point on the ground. I used to have picrures of this, I will have to look.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Well you can remove the 3rd leg if you use cross-beams like you can see in the link i gave. At least i see no problem with it. But of course it would require some screws or bolds instead of just some cord

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Well you can remove the 3rd leg if you use cross-beams like you can see in the link i gave. At least i see no problem with it. But of course it would require some screws or bolds instead of just some cord
    I agree with trying bolts and a fairly long brace at each upper connection for end-to-end rigidity.

I originally tried the "bipods w/ridgepole" design and because of my poor choice of rope and even worse lashing technique, the end to end play made it unsafe. I had to use a ratchet strap down to the deck on both ends to make it usable. I eventually switched to the tripods to get rid of the supporting straps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    This is correct and not at the same time. You can remove the 3rd leg as in gringo's stand but it is replaced with welds. The third leg gives support to a stand when cord lashing is used. If you only lashed two poles together you would get great side to side balance but front and back would be very unstable.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

gmcttr: I totally like the look of that!

Jazilla: Yeah i see your point. What i have in mind looks a lot like that picture gmcttr posted, but with two crossbars and using bolds instead of lashing for both ends of the crossbars.
    But as thats a bit more work i first tried the tripod idea and get comfortable with the hammock. I came to really like it
    Last edited by esteel; 03-23-2012 at 14:44. Reason: clarify

gmcttr i LOVE that stand! now I need to make another one

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    gmcttr: I totally like the look of that!...
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyTom View Post
    gmcttr i LOVE that stand! now I need to make another one
    Remember that as pictured, it was a complete failure without supporting straps to the ground.

Try two long angle braces on each end along with bolts and it might stand a chance. I bet it will still loosen up over time.

You would only save a small amount of space and potentially lose the rock solid stance of a correctly lashed turtlelady stand with tripods.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    You would only save a small amount of space and potentially lose the rock solid stance of a correctly lashed turtlelady stand with tripods.
    Either i have my Tripods quite wide or we have different ideas of small amount of space. In my case i think i bipods would use around 1,3m (51inches) less space and would be the difference between the stand taking up the whole length of the room or allowing me to still be able to easily open the windows in that room
    Well i'm quite sure i'll give a bipod version a try next week or so. The tripod stand however rocks for being stable and super easy to create/put-up.

• + New Posts
  • Page 51 of 85 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast