WBBB 1.1dbl,Hennessy Exped
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    I've had a similar idea, though I didn't know what to look for. I work for a land survey company and thought those heavy duty tripods they use for holding instruments might be suitable.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretbek View Post
    Would you extend the legs and butt them above the hinge because you think that the hinge is not enough to take the load?
    Or is it more for esthetics?
    Mostly esthetics but there is a little fiddle factor getting the ends aligned above the hinge. Primarily this is with the 2 side legs which pivot separately on the 1 side of the hinge. The end leg goes to the rope stop with no problem. I don't foresee any problems with the hinge supporting my weight of 225 lbs. If I was expecting any failure it would be in the legs but I picked clear grade c fir with no knots. So far it is working beautiful and will be great for travel.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    12'x12'
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Strps cinch buckle
    Shumway, a set of legs was my first thought too. If you could find a couple of sets of legs that would extend up high enough you could drop a piece of amsteel through the center off of a toggle to hold up your ridge pole. I looked for legs, but I couldn't find a set that was getting tossed that would set up high enough. The heads were under 5'. If you find some that will work let me know the brand and model please.

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest + Eureka chrysalis
    Insulation
    WL UQ+Bag4Chrysals
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    @shumway, I saw those land survey things as well, but I decided they were too heavy and expensive. I looked at many tripods before I found the fish weighing things and honestly know nothing about fishing or it's material. Those just looked like they could work. I sent some mails to fishing equipment stores, asking how many kilo's those things can handle and explaining to them what I'm going to do with them (should be good for a laugh for them ). Thing is that they look a lot like old-dogs setup with the attachment points all the way on top. And .. Well ... I'll stop myself repeating my previous post.

When I get a response, I'll let you know. I'll also let you guys know if I persuade myself to buy a set and how it works out. Shumway, if you happen to find something better, let me know!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Kreecher, the height isn't bad but how strong is the adjustable legs. If the legs aren't fixed then you have a potential weak point. Which would suck at say 2 in the am when your sound asleep and the leg slips. Like using treking poles with a bridge hammock. I am using wood dowels. I had originally got them from the hardware store as closet rods but I had extra. just my 2, hope this helps.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    While trolling the bid box hardware stores getting material for my stand I ran across poles similar to these and thought they would make good collaspsible poles. Even thought about someway to screw them into a top fitting. Little pricy for 6 but not so much more than my set up.http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053
    There were other options like fiberglass and different lengths. This link is just an example.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest + Eureka chrysalis
    Insulation
    WL UQ+Bag4Chrysals
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Jazilla, I think I wont go for telescopic ones, but rather the tripods that you "screw" to put together and take apart. Looks something like what Olddog just posted below your post, but then in a ready made tripod. And you're right of course, telescopic legs will have the weak point of the legs potentially "sliding into eachother" whilst sleeping.There's no doubt about it, that would suck big time.

So two-parters with screw pieces it will be. I just got a mail back from one guy, saying one of his tripods handles between 50kg and 60kg (110-130lbs). Theoretically speaking, this should be enough to hold me and all my gear. There are those rated for higher weight, but they cost more.

If I do decide on getting them, it wont take me long before I do something to them to make them more aesthetically pleasing though. I like the way my pvc/broomstick one looks.

Olddog, the collapsibility is the reason I'm looking for this kind of stuff. I actually wanted to make one that looks more like yours, but then part aluminum tubing, part wood. But it'll cost me too much to do it here in Europe. Hence the hunt for cheaper alternatives.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    While trolling the bid box hardware stores getting material for my stand I ran across poles similar to these and thought they would make good collaspsible poles. Even thought about someway to screw them into a top fitting. Little pricy for 6 but not so much more than my set up.http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053
    There were other options like fiberglass and different lengths. This link is just an example.
    The collapsible feature is great for transportability.
    Do you know how much load these kinds of poles can take?

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    No idea, but I have seen painters taking a break and leaning on them.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    DIY GrayCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/0* bag
    Suspension
    Cinchbuckle&hugger
    Would conduit work for the ridgepole? My local HD doesn't carry fencing stuff, havent gotten a chance to check Lowes.

• + New Posts
  • Page 36 of 85 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast