Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by peanuts View Post
    now, the other question is, is 1.75" diameter pole will be strong enough for someone above 150lbs????
    O heck yeah, unless it's poorly cured or weak for some other reason. Normal bamboo is really strong. I'm about 180 and have made tripods out of 1" stuff.

Look the pieces over really well for cracks and splits. These Pier 1 poles are made to be decorative and not as structural. That's my only concern. I haven't seen them in person though. They're probably fine.

Also I have to emphasize that making your tripod too splayed puts stress on the bend. You want it to be as vertical as possible and still stable, that way you put stress on the compression of the bamboo which is much more stable. IMHO that is...

Also, I know it's not sexy but putting rubber chair tips on the ends makes it much more stable. I recently did this and was surprised how much difference it made. Would also protect the ends from cracking/splitting.
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    Quote Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
    O heck yeah, unless it's poorly cured or weak for some other reason. Normal bamboo is really strong. I'm about 180 and have made tripods out of 1" stuff.

Look the pieces over really well for cracks and splits. These Pier 1 poles are made to be decorative and not as structural. That's my only concern. I haven't seen them in person though. They're probably fine.

Also I have to emphasize that making your tripod too splayed puts stress on the bend. You want it to be as vertical as possible and still stable, that way you put stress on the compression of the bamboo which is much more stable. IMHO that is...

Also, I know it's not sexy but putting rubber chair tips on the ends makes it much more stable. I recently did this and was surprised how much difference it made. Would also protect the ends from cracking/splitting.
    that was is concern too, they are suppose to be decorative...hmmmmm by any chance do you have piere 1 in ur neck of the woods??? other retail here where i live.i haven't had any other luck in the ...
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by peanuts View Post
    that was is concern too, they are suppose to be decorative...hmmmmm by any chance do you have piere 1 in ur neck of the woods??? other retail here where i live.i haven't had any other luck in the ...
    I do and I'll try to get by there and look at them in the next couple of days.

Will report back.

So if the 1.75 and the 1 inch are strong enough, how about the 3/4 inch stuff at pier 1? Any ideas?

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KenDen View Post
    So if the 1.75 and the 1 inch are strong enough, how about the 3/4 inch stuff at pier 1? Any ideas?
    When I mentioned 1" stuff I was referring to bamboo I have harvested myself and as I think of it, it may have been a heavy 1"... maybe 1-1/4" even. I didn't measure it really.

No idea about the 3/4 they sell at Pier 1. I'll look at both if they have it at my local store. Sounds skimpy...

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Back on page 32:
    Quote Originally Posted by PDA View Post
    I am using 1/2" diameter which is plenty strong enough
    1.75" is WAAAAAAYY bigger than PDA uses and PDA reports a weight of 160+

I don't think there is much difference between "structural" bamboo and "decorative" bamboo--it's in the discretion of the user. Other than how it was cured to prevent cracks and splits--which aren't very decorative. So, pending hppyfngy's report, I'm quite optimistic. And they come in sets of three!!! How cool is that!?!?!?
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    DIY GrayCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/0* bag
    Suspension
    Cinchbuckle&hugger
    I picked some up today out of curiosity. I may have... manipulated the packaging to get the biggest and best shape pieces possible However they're actually a 4 pack, not a 3 pack which was surprising. I made sure it was the same one posted above.

Once I picked them up I started experimenting and had a friend show me the tripod lashing. However after setting it up enough to see if it would be feasible, I decided against using them. They are in fact "true" bamboo, but I just don't have enough confidence in them. After building the 2x2 stand and feeling how stable it was compared to these I opted out. I'll return them in the next few days.

Bottom line, if you've already made one out of bamboo and slept in it, you probably won't have a problem using these. For me, I can't rationalize downgrading my stability for an upgrade in ease of transport (bamboo is much lighter). Others may have a different opinion but I simply don't trust them structurally after using my 2x2 tripod.

They do look beautiful though.
    Just my .02

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    FB009: Are you SURE you got the 1.75" inch ones? The 3/4" ones come in a 4-pack. Just askin' Are they RED or BROWN?!? THANKS for shopping and posting your review!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Well, I'm sorry to report that I got to my local Pier 1 today and I was thoroughly unimpressed with the bamboo.

All of it was flimsy and probably half of the pieces had pretty much full length splits in them. Out of the thirty or forty pieces they had in stock I might have been able to pick out six that would hold up without my being worried about them. Also the red ones have this crappy shellac finish that flakes off all over the place. I had it all over my hands after handling the stuff.

I suspect that this bamboo was allowed to just air dry. Too bad. Wish I had better news...

Also went by another store called "World Market" and they had the same quality stuff.

Maybe you'll have better luck at your local store... dunno.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    wow, thank you hppy for checking it out for me....i guess back to the drawing board....bamboo on the net its waaaaay too expensive...
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

• + New Posts
  • Page 42 of 85 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast