Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenderheart314 View Post
    Here is the hammock tripod i made after seeing Olddogs which was inspired by Turtlelady.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/p...ictureid=13395
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/p...ictureid=13396
    Looks like you used some of the fence rail that you mentioned. Did you use the hinges at the top? Can you get a close up of the connection? Wife commented that it looked heavy, I bet it's lighter than mine.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Deluxe Asym
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    It is heavy, but I made another tripod tonight I used 3/4" aluminum conduit for the legs. Its built the same way. No i didn't use hinges I drilled a hole all the way through the pipes and used a 3/8 bolt on the fence rail tripod and a 5/16 bolt on the 3/4 conduit tripod. Ill bring it over sometime and show it to you.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/p...ictureid=13397
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/p...ictureid=13398

Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    Looks like you used some of the fence rail that you mentioned. Did you use the hinges at the top? Can you get a close up of the connection? Wife commented that it looked heavy, I bet it's lighter than mine.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    It is heavy, but I made another tripod tonight I used 3/4" aluminum conduit for the legs. Its built the same way. No i didn't use hinges I drilled a hole all the way through the pipes and used a 3/8 bolt on the fence rail tripod and a 5/16 bolt on the 3/4 conduit tripod. Ill bring it over sometime and show it to you.

Sounds good, would love to see another mod on a great design. Will be on the Lake Wales Ridge this weekend hanging out. With plans to be home by race time.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Could not resist seeing what I could come up with. I found 6 oak trees about 4 to 5 in. at the bottom and cut them to 9 ft., lashed them at the eight ft. mark into 2 tripods. Nice and strong. Ridge is a 17 ft. poplar tree about 6in. at the butt. I talked my wife into trying it out and it didn't even look loaded at all. I tried it and there was no movement at all, rock solid. Thanks TurtleLady.

Hammock
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Ill be at the race working the gates. We will be staying in a churches gym so that y i built the tripods ;-).

Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    Sounds good, would love to see another mod on a great design. Will be on the Lake Wales Ridge this weekend hanging out. With plans to be home by race time.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    DIY GrayCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/0* bag
    Suspension
    Cinchbuckle&hugger

Shouldn't your hammock be clipped into the eye bolt instead of the carabiner to distribute the weight along the ridgepole? Looks like all of the weight will be on the tripods pulling inward instead of on the ridgepole. But if you already used it with no problem then I'm confused.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    I thought the same thing flashbang. I imagine it will just pull a little before the ridge pole takes the force anyway, since there isn't much give in those links.

I agree though; it seems that a better solution would be to connect the hammock more directly to the pole, rather than to the tripod.
    It's bad luck to be superstitious.

Just built my first today. 3/4" Sch80 pvc pipe for tripods. Tried using a 1 1/4" piece for ridgepole, but it flexed too much. Stuck a 2x4 in there and works great as a stopgap until i can run to store again. Thanks TL this is way portable! I love it, and I LOVE the physics involved

BTW prussik knots are COOL ha

Last edited by GrumpyTom; 02-27-2012 at 13:17.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bindibadgi View Post
    I thought the same thing flashbang. I imagine it will just pull a little before the ridge pole takes the force anyway, since there isn't much give in those links.

I agree though; it seems that a better solution would be to connect the hammock more directly to the pole, rather than to the tripod.
    I'm no engineer, but I believe you want the weight to transfer straight down from the tops of the tripods, THROUGH the ridge pole, down to the ground (the tripods' feet). In fact, my ridgepole would not be strong enough to hold my weight. It's an inch and a half thick tulip poplar sapling - 12 feet long. The weight pulling straight down from the tops of the tripods is what makes the tripods stable. Think of it this way: tie a length of rope straight down from the top of the tripod, fix the ridgepole in the line with a marlin spike hitch, a clove hitch or similar and then tie onto end of the hammock. The ridgepole simply keeps the tripods from tipping inward. It doesn't support your weight. Clear as mud?
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Quote Originally Posted by flashbang009 View Post
    Shouldn't your hammock be clipped into the eye bolt instead of the carabiner to distribute the weight along the ridgepole? Looks like all of the weight will be on the tripods pulling inward instead of on the ridgepole. But if you already used it with no problem then I'm confused.
    I tried it both ways , either way worked fine.
    Addicted to hanging !!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 47 of 85 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast