Hammock
    Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand
    From Shumway: I'm only interested in a change if it does one of the following. 1. To make it easier to use 2. to make setup/takedown faster 3. to make the device safer.

+1 on these. My system really is not difficult to set up now, but there is definitely some room for improvement in the final stage of inserting the ridge pole and the tri-pods want to move around. Asking for someone to hold something while I insert the ridgepole makes it super easy, but I'd like a solo set up to be a bit less fussy.

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Yes, if the attachment points from the hammock are to the ridge pole, then the ridge pole acts as a compression member. The load on the tripods will be straight up-and-down. Therefore, the load on each tripod will be equal to half of your weight. If you attach the hammock to the tripods directly, at a 30 degree hang angle the load on each tripod will double. They may not lean towards each other if you prevent it with stoppers of some kind, but it is much more likely that they will fail.
    "Interesting! No, wait, the other thing.....tedious!"- Bender Bending Rodriques

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by turtlelady View Post
    From Shumway:...My system really is not difficult to set up now, but there is definitely some room for improvement in the final stage of inserting the ridge pole and the tri-pods want to move around. Asking for someone to hold something while I insert the ridgepole makes it super easy, but I'd like a solo set up to be a bit less fussy.
    I'm not sure if this will be any help or not, but...your photos at the beginning of this thread show the ridge pole laying loosely in the loops attached to the tripods.

I have both ends of my ridge pole hung from 1/8" amsteel blue loops. On one end the loop is larksheaded around the pole and on the other, the loop is wrapped once completely around the pole. Both methods are easy to hold open while you place the pole but will not let the pole slip out accidentally while you place the other end.

The only reason I used two different methods was to fine tune the "loop lengths" to aid in leveling the ridge pole.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl,Hennessy Exped
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    Turtlelady,
    Here's how I assembled mine. I kept the ridge pole in two pieces. Set up the tripods at the correct spacing. I eyeballed it, but kept them slightly closer than the final. I stuck the end of one half ridgepole through its hang loop, then lay the other end on the ground. Put the other ridgepole half into its hang loop. Still holding the other end, I picked up the end that was on the ground. Both pole halves hanging in their loops, me in the middle, I joined the halves together. Once the ridge was together I fine tuned to tripod positions, pulling them outward until the ridgepole was centered. This worked really well and I didn't need anyone to help me.

Hammock
    Nano-7
    Tarp
    Grand Trunk 10x10
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Quick question - I'm planning on making mime out of wooden dowel rods (thick). If I cut the rigdepole in half, how can I join it to hang?
    "You can fight, fight without ever winning,
    But you can never, ever win without a fight"
    -Rush

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images

Illustration

It seems my proposed method of hanging the hammock directly from the hang loops wasn't fully understood. Maybe it was how I explained it. I drew up these diagrams to show what I'm thinking.

The hang loop comes off the tripod as normal. It passes through a hole in the ridgepole to a stopper of some kind. This could be a wood toggle. It could be some kind of knot. It could be a carabiner. The hammock attaches to the hang loop below the ridge pole. If you use a carabiner as a stopper you have an easy connection point.
    The stopper only needs to be strong enough to hold up the ridgepole if the loop and hammock suspension are directly connected. If the stopper is to hold the hammock then something strong like a climbing carabiner would be needed.

Benefits: ridgepole can't slide out of the hang loop. Ridgepole bears no weight. Ridepole still does its job of keeping the tripods apart.
    Drawbacks: difficult to thread loop through ridgepole. Possible hang loop chafing.

This is purely theoretical right now, and I still don't know whether I'll try it. I dunno... The method we learned from Turtlelady works really well so maybe all this messing around is unnecessary. What do y'all think? Is this a nutty idea?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    You will need a stopper on top to keep the ridge pole from riding up.

For those of you using thin walled tubing, you won't be able to chamfer the bottom edge enough to protect the hang loop without forming a knife edge. The sideways force placed on the hang loop will quickly cut it.

Please take a video for our amusement.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    I was thinking about what Turtlelady said about set up. I have the same problem, tripods want to fall or move around. What if the cord on the lower part of the uprights where changed to a wood cross beam with a hinge in the center. Something that opens folds up but hits a stopper when fully extended, like a folding A frame ladder. I think this would give good tripod stability.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand
    Thanks for the detailed descriptions of how folks are setting up the tri-pod stands. I love seeing the photos that show working solutions with variables I hadn't considered.

Shumway -- Your method for setting up a two part ridge pole is the same as what I currently do. My bamboo is so lightweight, the unweighted tri-pods don't like to stand up and stand still if I am trying to set it up on a smooth surface and leave one end of the heavier ridge poles hanging in the loop. On carpet or some deep grass situations it is easier.

As for your notions of hanging your hammock from the tri-pod loop, I don't see any benefit to this method, and I do see complications with it. However, I also smile with understanding that something about the hanging system is nagging at you and won't let you go! This happens to me. Sometimes it leads somewhere positive, sometimes it doesn't. But always the process is invigorating. Keep letting it simmer; it may lead us all to a good place!

gmcttr -- I am going to try your larksheaded loop method to hang the ridgepole. I lay my loop over the lashings the way I do because I felt it distributed the weight onto the poles and lashings most evenly. Your method may work easier in the field.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    Good points all, thanks for the feedback. I'll let this stew a bit, but don't plan on trying it until I come up with a good reason and a way around the potential issues.

TL - I just realized my setup worked so well because I was doing it on the lawn. I think I'd have the same problem on a smooth surface. That larks head might help hold your pole in place. That idea you had with putting a pin in the middle to hold the ridge pole sections together might help too. Then your pole wouldn't fall apart while you fiddle with getting the end through the hang loop. You could also put a pin of some kind through the ends of the pole after they go through the loops so they won't fall off while you adjust other parts of the system.

Apollo - someone suggested a couple pages back that you'd need a pipe with an inner diameter the same as the outer diameter of your dowels. This would be used as a connector sleeve. I forget the length but I'd want a minimum of a foot long, and I'd use screws or pins to make sure it didn't slide out of position.

• + New Posts
  • Page 18 of 85 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast