Hammock
    Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand
    Thanks for that suggestion, Bama. Looks good. Will it hold up to abrasion it is likely to get on the ground?

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    I dont see why not. If you were to place a couple layer of gorilla tape on the ground end of the poles, then dip, allow to dry then dip again..........you should be able to build up a layering effect. I have used it in the past and when I damaged it I just cut it off and re-applied. look at the website there are several kinds of dip/spray that I think will work in this application. Please let me know how it turns out!!!!!!!!
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand

Tweaking: New hang loop much better

I eliminated the loop that hung off the lashings to support the top rail. Now I have a tripled loop of cord around the bamboo legs themselves, several inches below the pipe.

I used a bowline on a coil knot so that these cords can self adjust as needed when loaded. A clove hitch holds the coil in place when the stand is collapsed.

The pink bindings slide along the coil and indicate the path the pipe should go through the tripod for set up. Usually I am tired when I am setting up for the night, so these organizers help me a lot.

When everything is properly positioned and the hammock weighted, the pipe does not rub against any of the legs. If the legs of the stand were a bit longer, this area could be more spacious.

Next I plan to drill a hole through the connection point of the top rail, to drop a pin through to eliminate separation during set up. While hanging the compression keeps it together.

BTW, I am stoked that Professor Hammock and others have referenced my stand !
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunnr72 View Post
    Notty, I did use a big piece of bambo for the ridgeline. It worked, until I tried to make it portable! I cut it in the middle and put a piece of wood inside the bamboo. The bamboo ended up splitting.
    Instead of a connector pin on the inside, use a connector sleeve (12" section of fence top rail, etc) on the outside and you shouldn't have a splitting problem.

Hammock
    Half-Wit/Dangerbird, Darien..
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Woopie Sling
    I like your bamboo set up and I think I will give that a try, but the one that Wah Wah had was made of 4*4's and 2*4's. If I can figure out how to post the picture I will. I would really like the measure ments of the wood so I could make it.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7
    Suspension
    Warbonnet straps
    I use bamboo from my yard to make hiking staffs and have come to the conclusion that some of the problem of splitting may come from the inside of the staff building up excessive pressure when the shaft is exposed to the sun. I now take a piece of 1/8" steel rod 4' long (Home Depot nuts and bolts isle) and drive it down through the center of the shaft from both ends. Its easy to do and punches through the nodes in the inside. That provides air circulation, aids in drying and prevents pressure buildup. I am also doing some thread wrapping. It is extremely strong light stuff but curing can be a bit of an art with the pieces that are only a few years old and have not achieved maximum strength due to increased wall thickness.
    "To turn from this increasingly artificial and strangely alien world is to escape from unreality. To return to the timeless world of the mountains, the sea, the forest and the stars is to return to sanity and truth." --Robert Burnham Jr.

Images
    Turtle--that is a great setup. I bet you could get some silnylon and make teepees out of the tripods and store your gear in there in case of rain.
    "The first time I saw a hammock, I remember thinking, 'Now I know what trees are for.'" --Jim Gaffigan, comedian

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    I like it,,, great job

Hammock
    Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand
    I am gone back to an earlier version of rigging the hanging loop on my bamboo stand. The loop which holds the chainlink fence top rail ridepole works much better when it is hung from the lashings rather than wrapped around the poles.

I have used this stand many more times and continue to love it. It can be tricky to set up on a slick floor. A second person to help hold one end of the ridge pole until it is slipped into the second half eases the set up.

Sorry if this is getting a little too old to bring back up but this looks like a really neat idea. I'd love to be able to hang inside but I don't have the room for most of the other DIY stands I've seen and adding permanent attachment points somewhere isn't an option either. Unfortunately I don't have any bamboo around so I was wondering what would make an acceptable replacement? Would 1" or 1-1/2" electrical conduit be sturdy enough for this?

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 85 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast