Page 19 of 85 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Eno Doublenest + Eureka chrysalis
    Insulation
    WL UQ+Bag4Chrysals
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    @ apollo2112 - I've been thinking about that too. I might not be able to find the right type of bamboo around here or the fence thing and I would like to use mostly wood and only some metal anyway. So I was thinking to get a piece of metal tubing about 70cm in length (27.55inches says google) and only slightly bigger in diameter than the wooden dowels so they would fit inside snugly. I would need some kind of stoppers on the wooden dowels, to keep this piece of metal tubing (connector) centered. Perhaps drilling very small holes to put something through the wood and tube on each side (bolt on a string ? ), perhaps rubber bands, not sure. I would definately "mark" the dowels though, to see if they stay put or not. I'm playing with this idea because for transport, I wouldn't add too much bulk, since one of the dowels can be slid inside the tube anyway.

Anyway, I'm mulling it over. I'm new to the whole hammock business (haven't even introduced myself on the forum yet since I only recently decided to make an account after reading for what feels like a bible in hammock knowledge ) and am still tinkering with the length of the homemade woopie ridgeline to find out what my sweetspot is. Once I know, I will also know how long the ridgeline of TurteLadie's setup needs to be for me personally.

@Turtlelady - I love your tripod system. I was ehm... "advised" by my better half not to drill holes in the walls of our apartment for my hammock. So when I finally made it over to this part of the forum (after reading about tarps, woopie slings (this system is also used for tying huarache sandals by barefooters, did ya know ? ), underquilts, regular quilts, mats and whatnot) and read about your stand, I knew I had found my solution.

Regular stands were a definite no. Too expensive for one, and too bulky. I need something compact to put away easily and something I can put up in about 10 mins max. This seems to fit the bill. I read all the pages and have extrapolated an illustrated "howto" for me. Now I will look into what materials I'll use after I find out what length ridgepole I want. So thanks for a brilliant idea.

EDIT - @shumway - you were right, the dowel+tube sleeve thing was mentioned before. Forgot about that after reading so much. Page 8, post 80:
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    With a 12" piece of a snug fitting pipe used as a sleeve. The load is all end-to-end in compression. The only side load is from the weight of the pole itself.
    Last edited by kreecher; 06-29-2011 at 10:31.

Hammock
    Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand
    Kreecher -- Welcome! Lured out of lurkdom by our tri-pod discussions. . . It is fun to look around and see what is on hand to meet our needs. Send us photos of what you are doing. We love the photos.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl,Hennessy Exped
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    Gee I forgot.. did I mention that I slept in my hammock slung from the stand this weekend? I didn't ever feel insecure and everything held up well. It poured rain and everything under the tarp stayed dry. The only issue is I need a better way to tie off the doors because getting in and out was a pain. Maybe bungees and hooks or something.

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shumway View Post
    Gee I forgot.. did I mention that I slept in my hammock slung from the stand this weekend? I didn't ever feel insecure and everything held up well. It poured rain and everything under the tarp stayed dry. The only issue is I need a better way to tie off the doors because getting in and out was a pain. Maybe bungees and hooks or something.
    Shock cord and toggles / mitten clips.

Hammock
    Dangerbird 72
    Tarp
    HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    For those using conduit or some other kind of pole for the tripods, I bought myself three 4-packs of something called Leg Tips (I couldn't find the exact one but here's roughly what I'm talking about -- Leg Tips. It basically gives me a cap for the top, and something that won't tear up the carpet or floor if I use it inside.

Images
    If you put a metal washer inside the rubber tips it will keep the conduit from pushing its way through them. Obviously the washer must be the same diameter or a little larger than the conduit.
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Hammock
    Dangerbird 72
    Tarp
    HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    That's a good idea! *Makes note to pick up some washers* Also, I tried the hooks from the end trick that Shumway used -- worked like a charm! The stand feels much more stable now -- as promised, I finally have a picture

Last edited by Throkda; 06-29-2011 at 20:52. Reason: Added a picture

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest + Eureka chrysalis
    Insulation
    WL UQ+Bag4Chrysals
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    @turtlelady - we'll see if I go back to lurking around or not, I'll try not to. I'll see what I can do about the pictures, but right now I don't have anything interesting to take pics of. It will be the beginning of August before I get the time to do some stuff that'll be interesting enough to take pics of (like making your stand ).

The first thing on the agenda is making two DIY camping pillows. Going to ruin an old sleeping bag and a piece of fleece blanky for that & I have some of that Nasa foam and two cheap blow up pillows. Not compact no, but they'll be mighty comfy and I'm a side sleeper.

The next is going to some nice places, pitching up a tent and going day-tripping for quite a while. The hammock will be carried around wherever we go to hitch it up whenever we take a break from walking. But it's far from ready to be a "sleep" solution for now. Naps, yes.

When we get back from that, it's time to start getting things ready for a year long weekend course that'll start in September. I want to do my sleeping in a hammock during that course. So I'll need an under-quilt (DIY, not compact, but warm), a tarp (probably buy a cheap one) and of course a TL stand. So it won't just be for hanging around the apartment, however the fact that I CAN use it for that is why I chose yours. I just like me hammock and want to use it indoors as well.

Guess starting August, I might have some interesting stuff to take pictures off and I'll do my best to do so and post them here.

having trouble finding hard wood dowels that are longer than 48". Anyone have a source? I was thinking about making mine about 7' high. I can find pine dowels that are that long, but not sure if they will hold. Any sources or concerns about pine dowels? About 1 5/16 to 1 3/4" in diameter.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    patermagnus, did you try curtain rods? Might be something available at drapery or even fabric stores. Dunno

I wouldn't hesitate to use pine though. Get the biggest prettiest ones you can find, (fewest large knots and straightest grain the better.) I'd paint them or stain them and seal them somehow if they're going to be outdoors at all, but if they don't get wet, it wouldn't be necessary.

For indoors, rubber feet would be nice!
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

• + New Posts
  • Page 19 of 85 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast