Hammock
    El cheapo from Bass Pro
    Tarp
    Kelty Noahs
    Suspension
    DIY Straps & sling

Question UQ/padding or bugnet

I've been lurking since Christmas and done many searches on the topic of bugnets. I see a lot off buzz about UQ or padding, and TQs but not a lot about bugnets. Is this because bugnets are not that necessary or because most people have hammocks with then built in?

My son and I are going to be doing a trial run of hammock camping this spring in Maryland and I wonder what item I should focus on for our next purchase?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe *zipppppp*
    Tarp
    HHHex w/2QZQ Doors
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    Straps,Biner,Rings
    Hi Shoreborn. Welcome to the Forum.

I think the reason there probably isn't much discussion about bug netting is that there are only a few options: (1) it is built into your hammock, or (2) you'll need to carry a separate one that goes over your hammock and ridgeline when you expect to encounter bugs. I'm sure either option can work very effectively for you.

Likely the reason that you are noticing 'a lot of buzz' about the insulation topics (and the various suspension systems, for that matter) is that there are sooooo many options out there. All of the options of these items have pros and cons about them (i.e. simplicity, cost, versatility, etc.).

I would say it is advisable to just pick one of the systems for: (a) bug protection (if needed), (b) hammock suspension and (c) insulation; and try it out.

Then, post some photos of your setup and share what you like about it and what you don't.

The best spot to start to try to decide what might suit you best are Shug's Videos. They're very informative and he does a great job presenting the large variety of hammock options and systems available.

Cheers
    Stevicide

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Warbonnet makes an excellent bug-net: http://warbonnetoutdoors.com/travelers.php

I made a couple as well .... not to hard.
    This one was my lightweight ... velcro to hammock

Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    El cheapo from Bass Pro
    Tarp
    Kelty Noahs
    Suspension
    DIY Straps & sling
    Stevicide
    The multiple options and diverse opinions on insulation explains why that topics gets so much "air time". Thanks for the enlightenment.

Shug
    I have watched and enjoyed your videos. Lots of real good stuff there and extremely entertaining.

I decided to step out of the shadows when I saw that the Warbonnet web site explains what a Traverlor Net is, but I didn't see any ordering information. So I was very curious to know why the bugnet seemed to take a backseat to other pieces of equipment. Of course now that I have asked the question I see the info I was after is on the site.

Anyway thanks for the input.
    Last edited by Shoreborn; 01-27-2011 at 19:59.

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    I would wager that bug net discussions will be more lively when bug season heats up in the spring and summer in NA, where most HF'ers are.

I've used separate and integrated bug nets and MUCH prefer integrated, as it keeps my feet and TQ from dangling over the edge and falling out.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Kelty 12X12
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    HH Stock
    I have no experience with it personally, but a friend uses an ENO bugnet and I haven't heard any complaints.

Senior Member Cold Butt Stephen's Avatar
    Hammock
    SL 1.1 oz DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Hex
    Insulation
    Frankenpad
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunk View Post
    I have no experience with it personally, but a friend uses an ENO bugnet and I haven't heard any complaints.
    From what I've seen and heard, the only problem with the ENO bug net is the weight (pretty heavy), but if that's not a big concern for you then I think it's a good option. As shug said, Warbonnet sells one too. Lighter and I'be heard good things about that too.
    ------------------------------------------------------

CBS (Cold Butt Stephen)

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    StormcrowIncubator
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    I have an Eno Guardian bugnet. It is definitely heavier than I'd like, but I got it using my points at Moosejaw so I'm not too bummed about it. Eventually I plan to get a WBBB with integrated bugnetting.

The Eno Guardian has lots of space inside it, but no pullouts which I'm not a huge fan of. It's relatively easy to set up, it works well enough, it's durable, and it comes in it's own attached stuff sack. It seems like it's bigger than it needs to be. There is usually a ton of extra fabric hanging below the hammock, which is kind of a waste. I sometimes store stuff in the bottom part of the netting, but it's definitely not worth the extra weight. It also has gaps in the ends where the hammock suspension comes out which can be cinched down, but not enough to completely close the gap.

If I were you, I'd look for something lighter.

• + New Posts