Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images

MacPack ponderings...

In the last few weeks I have been really evaluating my pack. between doing the videos and Wildman getting his pack I have started to re-think a few things. The modularity of this system is a bit overwhelming at times; sitting here contemplating the possibilities really takes up a lot of available resources!

So here is what I am thinking. I have the Model 12 Peregrine Nylon, I use lumbar Alu. stays to attach the belt to the back panel; this is comfortable and I can carry just about whatever I want.

BUT...
    I carry about half of the weight on my belt and front pack. My Winter load out is right at 25 pounds, 3 to 3 1/2 pounds on my front pack and easily 6 pounds on my belt, and I could get more on there if I wanted to.

So this got me to thinking. Maybe I could use the AngrySparrow model back panel, or Poly Peregrine back panel, and front panel; I mean, I'm not carrying that much weight on either one. Then switch out to the Heavier back panel when needed, like for back country hunting. I could also just switch out the front panel to the AngrySparrow front panel and keep the back panel I have now.

Additionally, with the plethora of Molly MacPouches now available I was thinking of using some of them for dedicated pouches. These would be pouches that never come off of the MacPack; like my first-aid kit and emergency/survival kit. These can either go on the back panel or on the belt permanently but removable if needed.

I have played with keeping these items on a separate, drop-leg platform (hooked to my trouser belt) so that no matter what happened my first-aid and survival gear is on me if I am separated from my MacPack. However, this adds complication to a simple system, adds weight and I am rarely REALLY in a position to be separated from my MacPack. If, for example, I needed to cross a swollen river I could easily remove the essentials and stick them on my trouser belt, just in case.

I am waiting on some Molly MacPouches to arrive to start playing with some of this stuff; and to finish out the video series.

Does it make sense to switch out to a lighter panel for a few ounces? What would the total be anyway, 20 ounces? Maybe less, a 29 inch pad belt, poly back panel and AngrySparrow front panel and poly cinch buckles...Hmmmm...
    If it is 20 ounces, that would be almost a whole pound under what I have now.

Anyway, I needed to write this all down to get it organized in my head. But since I have started it I will document what I do along the way and what I settle (yea right) on.
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    WBBB/DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IX/MW3, Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Custom 2 RL
    Somehow you and a truly finalized set-up for anything doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon. On a serious note I'd say try it and see how it works.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tbctx View Post
    Somehow you and a truly finalized set-up for anything doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon. On a serious note I'd say try it and see how it works.
    "truly finalized"?????

What fun is there in that?????

I'm always looking for new and improved ways to do what I do - innovation is half the fun.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Rat:
    Not to knock the math skills but............20 oz = 1 lb + 4 oz!!!!! If you were to do these mods you would actually be losing 1 1/4 pounds from your pack. That does not seem like a lot of weight but it is signifigant!!!!!!! My concern is will it offset the ride and load distribution of the pak in anyway??????
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    WBBB/DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IX/MW3, Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Custom 2 RL
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleMJM View Post
    "truly finalized"?????

What fun is there in that?????

I'm always looking for new and improved ways to do what I do - innovation is half the fun.
    My point exactly... Hence the comment on me doubting it was happening soon, if at all.

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    and even then it will be optimized for a particular situation/scenario/environment..
    any other situation would need a different set-up
    .."and the road goes ever on.."
    KM (who loves playing with gear and doesn't care who knows about it..)

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbamaguy View Post
    Rat:
    Not to knock the math skills but............20 oz = 1 lb + 4 oz!!!!! If you were to do these mods you would actually be losing 1 1/4 pounds from your pack. That does not seem like a lot of weight but it is signifigant!!!!!!! My concern is will it offset the ride and load distribution of the pak in anyway??????
    You ain't knockin' on much when you knock my math skills, they are pretty weak. However, my current pack is 33 oz, 20 - 33 = 13 oz so, almost a pound different.

Quote Originally Posted by KerMegan
    and even then it will be optimized for a particular situation/scenario/environment..
    any other situation would need a different set-up
    .."and the road goes ever on.."
    KM (who loves playing with gear and doesn't care who knows about it..)
    Yep, which is my dilemma. I like the fact that I can now use it for ANYTHING, but I also like the fact that I can, maybe, lighten it up a little more and it still be comfy and robust.

If the weight saving are big enough, and it can handle the loads I carry when I am not on a two week hunt, it will be worth it to hafta change the back panel JUST for the heavy lifting.

I need to get the scales out...

Images
    I go through the same thoughts, while considering getting the AS model ( I have the original heavy duty model).

But staying well under say 25 lbs, is there any need for the extra, what was it you said, 13 oz? Does the lighter model carry with full comfort with loads less than 25 lbs? It is pretty rare for me to excede 25 lbs anymore.

Last trip out, I went with my Golight Pinnacle, because it weighed 1.75 lbs less than my MMP plus front pack( a military surplus type, don't know if the FPs are the same now). So the total weight was ~18 lbs with the Golight. It carried just fine, no discomfort, and I was able to get everything in it no prob. But I def missed the convenience of my front pack, and it probably would have carried better with the FP. But, I don't know if it would have been enough to notice. Probably worth the extra 1.75 lbs pack wt. with 25 lbs, but maybe not with 18 comfort wise. Now, convenience is another story! I love having my snacks, water, gps and maps in that front pack.

Sounds like I might need an AS model. Or, I guess there are lighter front packs now?

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Sorry for that Rat, I miss understood where the numbers were coming from. My overactive math brain got away from me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    ...It is pretty rare for me to excede 25 lbs anymore.

Sounds like I might need an AS model. Or, I guess there are lighter front packs now?
    I am right there with ya. However, it is easy for me to exceed 25 lbs because I am forever taking new gear to test/try/evaluate. So I have this new gear, plus what I would normally take (you know, just in case). The Peregrine Poly will easily handle this additional weight, especially using the Alu. lumbar stays like I do.

The AngrySparrow front panel has a mesh backing instead of the 1000D Cordura laminate; and with the poly PALS array should be considerably lighter. I also have no doubt this will carry the full load of my front panel with no problems.

I weighed everything last night and will post up the weights in the next post.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast