Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    StormcrowIncubator
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images

Tarp Insulation

Recently, I went tent camping to test out a couple of new pieces of gear. One of which was a tarp that is supposed to reflect heat. Folded up and used as a seat, it worked great and it seemed to work well as a floor liner for my tent too. Then I started to wonder how well it would work over my ridge line and under my tarp while camping.

Has anyone else here tried using a similar setup? Did it work well?

Hammock
    ENO dblnest
    Tarp
    Jacks Cat
    Insulation
    3S incubator
    Suspension
    Opie's whoopies
    I read somewhere - maybe Sgt. Rock's site - that most of the heat radiated from one's body is absorbed by clothing. If true, not sure this would do much. Although, if you don't mind hanging close to your fire, I bet you could rig it to reflect a bunch of heat onto your hammock. Probably not a good idea!

I think you're talkin' about the $15 casualty blanket? I keep one at all times in my pack. It's saved my freezin' behind on an extended hunting trip. It's surprisingly fire retardent too.. I've been thinking about this idea as well. I'm trying to subsidize the need for winter insulation under me by creating a microclimate with a ECK heater and a tarp. However, I'm worried about losing my warmth to convection against the tarp walls and ceiling. Was thinking or rigging this under my tarp along the ridgeline to reflect heat back to me and keep the wind from taking the warm on top where most of the heat will accumulate.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    StormcrowIncubator
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chattooga View Post
    I read somewhere - maybe Sgt. Rock's site - that most of the heat radiated from one's body is absorbed by clothing. If true, not sure this would do much. Although, if you don't mind hanging close to your fire, I bet you could rig it to reflect a bunch of heat onto your hammock. Probably not a good idea!
    Heh, well I definitely wouldn't be sleeping with a fire going. If I can get a decent thermometer and some extra time maybe I can test to see if this makes any difference. Hanging a bottle of hot water from the ridge line might make a difference with this setup even if your clothes and sleeping bag absorb most of your heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    I think you're talkin' about the $15 casualty blanket? I keep one at all times in my pack. It's saved my freezin' behind on an extended hunting trip. It's surprisingly fire retardent too.. I've been thinking about this idea as well. I'm trying to subsidize the need for winter insulation under me by creating a microclimate with a ECK heater and a tarp. However, I'm worried about losing my warmth to convection against the tarp walls and ceiling. Was thinking or rigging this under my tarp along the ridgeline to reflect heat back to me and keep the wind from taking the warm on top where most of the heat will accumulate.
    This seems like it's made out of similar material if you're talking about the stuff field medics and EMTs seem to use. I used it as a cloak while I was cooking breakfast and I was toasty warm. What is an ECK heater?

Emergency Car Kit diy heater. It's a work in progress and have yet to test it out, but I'm pretty sure I rig a fairly small flame to burn over the course of the entire night and bring up the ambient temp in my shelter. Something between the size of a soup can and 1qt paint can.. we'll see which works better. the 1qt paint can heated my bathroom for over 4 hours, but once I put it in the wind outside it only last another 40 minutes. Brought it inside and relit and burned another couple hours.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    "blue"poly tarp...
    Suspension
    prusik and ropes
    Images
    hi,

it'll make a difference for sure but I think it should be closer to your body because you want it to reflect the infrared light that your body is emitting (heat loss) some winter jacket now have aluminum dots inside to do that (columbia omni-heat) and if you put it as your tarp it might work a little but not as much as an actual tent because the tent is making some sort of air bubble and that reflective tarp is heating the bubble which is heating you... on a hammock you don't have that bubble and depending on your setup the wind can go under your tarp so the wind is gonna blow the reflected heat. personally I'd place it somewhere between your sleeping bag and the bottom insulation of your hammock, like they do on the henessy website...http://hennessyhammock.com/video_setup.html look at video 3 that's exactly what I mean 'cos I'm not sure all I wrote is very clear

chris

Hammock
    Exped combo, exped basic
    Tarp
    DYI, six sided
    Insulation
    foam refletex,
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    It works, but you must place it close to your body or the heat will be lost to the air.
    View Macs video for the MN Frozen butt 2011 and you will see one made from space blankets I use and another of reflective nylon material I use in my Mors Super shelter
    with fire that will allow the user to sleep in ones cloths in freezing temp.
    The space blankets are easly sewing togeather to make a tarp that is inexpensive and work.

fourdog

www.fourdog.com

• + New Posts