Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Whats warmer UQ vs. Neoair?

Here's my noobie question. I have camped in a Hennessey Hammock for a couple years using an old 3/4 length Thermarest pad that when inflated is about 1 1/2 inches. Combined with my lightweight rain jacket, pants and a sleeping bag liner this has kept me warm in the jungles down to 51 degrees.

I just acquired a Leigh's 2/3 Summer (down) UQ that when at full loft is about 2 inches. Here is a thread describing the UQ.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=16810

I know the comfort advantages of the UQ, my concern is whether this UQ will match the warmth of the Thermarest pad? If not then i will go back to pads with a Neoair. This is important for me since a pad or UQ is my only insulation outside of the sleeping bag liner. What say the people in the know??

TIA
    Last edited by team FTB; 01-26-2011 at 19:12.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    UQs are easily warmer than a neoair, if it's thick enough. I didn't have good results with a neoair under my torso in a hammock because it's not stiff enough...but even if it were, you'd need additional insulation (like a SPE) along your shouders and hips. You may be able to get away without a SPE if you get the 25" wide neoair and you're thin...but I don't personally see an advantage of that over an underquilt.

My current opinion (that's always subject to change as I do more testing!) - neoairs are marginally useful in a hammock...I wouldn't use it instead of an underquilt, or a stiffer pad like the Exped series.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Since I have a NeoAir and a couple of underquilts, and used both in the hammock... I would rate the Neoair to be about the same as a 3 season (20-25F) underquilt. If you have a way of adding wings or put another pad horizontally to block wind chill; NeoAir is like most pads, narrower than one wants in a hammock, tho the largest is 25" wide. If you don't have something to extend the sides of the pad, you'll be doing a balancing act in the hammock to stay on the pad.

Whoops. Forgot to say I'm only 5'5" so can get away with shorter quilts and pads.

Just Jeff thanks for the reply. What I'm curious to hear is if the insulation value is similar between pads and UQ if both are of the same thickness? Or if I'm comfortable with an 1 1/2 inch thick pad do I need the same or thicker UQ to accomplish the same warmth?

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    With that UQ you should be fine down to 40F ... if it was me i would get a undercover like the driducks one JRB sells and add that to the UQ...
    that setup should get most users down to 35F
    you can even add a space blanket to the mix if need be

you might be able to get alittle lower then 40F with just that UQ if your a warm sleeper ...being it's built with baffles

but i wouldn't waste my money on the neoair if you have an UQ already
    thats just my .02
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Lori - thanks for the beta.

I guess I'm lucky since the Thermorest pad I was using before was only 20 inches wide and I did OK on it. I realize the UQ shall be hopefully a lot better in comfort, my concern if the summer weight UQ is equal to the Thermarest or not.

Greelespaul - Thanks for the feedback on the UQ temps. Sorry for the confusion. I mean I will either use a pad (Neoair) or UQ, not both together. I am trying to lighten my load a bunch and due to the moderate temps I'm in (50 degrees and above) I want to find my lightest, least packable size, for my needs.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    FYI, loft is for down - pads operate on a different measurement than mere thickness. You measure pads by R Value. When using the NeoAir I inflate more for ground use, less for hammock use, and have the same amount of warmth either way.

A NeoAir has an R Value of 2.5 and many report being cold at about freezing - I've had better results than that, had it down into the 20s. I know someone who claims he uses it comfortably to 14F - I will be home in bed by that point! If I think it will be below freezing I will pack a foam pad to put under the NeoAir to play it safe.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by team FTB View Post
    Lori - thanks for the beta.

I guess I'm lucky since the Thermorest pad I was using before was only 20 inches wide and I did OK on it. I realize the UQ shall be hopefully a lot better in comfort, my concern if the summer weight UQ is equal to the Thermarest or not.

Greelespaul - Thanks for the feedback on the UQ temps. Sorry for the confusion. I mean I will either use a pad (Neoair) or UQ, not both together. I am trying to lighten my load a bunch and due to the moderate temps I'm in (50 degrees and above) I want to find my lightest, least packable size, for my needs.
    NP

If 50F is the lowest temp your going to see the UQ will be fine for your needs and will be the lightest .... like i said just to be safe keep a space blanket in your pack you can use it as a VB to boost your temp rating on your UQ if need be but that UQ will be plenty for 50F and up

if the temps drop below that you can always wear your cloths to sleep that will help keep you warm but if you ask me the UQ will be plenty for the temps you plan to use it in
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Quote Originally Posted by lori View Post
    FYI, loft is for down - pads operate on a different measurement than mere thickness. You measure pads by R Value. When using the NeoAir I inflate more for ground use, less for hammock use, and have the same amount of warmth either way.

A NeoAir has an R Value of 2.5 and many report being cold at about freezing - I've had better results than that, had it down into the 20s. I know someone who claims he uses it comfortably to 14F - I will be home in bed by that point! If I think it will be below freezing I will pack a foam pad to put under the NeoAir to play it safe.
    Very much appreciate you relaying your experiences Lori. The coldest I've spent in the hammock was in Cambodia in the Cardomom mountains where it dropped down to freezing one night. I had gone on a month long trip and pared my packing down to the minimum and left the Thermarest at home so had no insulation at all. I spent the night in a lightweight rain jacket and pants, long sleeve shirt and pants and I froze. Hence my need for some improvements.

Quote Originally Posted by greenlespaul View Post
    NP

If 50F is the lowest temp your going to see the UQ will be fine for your needs and will be the lightest .... like i said just to be safe keep a space blanket in your pack you can use it as a VB to boost your temp rating on your UQ if need be but that UQ will be plenty for 50F and up

if the temps drop below that you can always wear your cloths to sleep that will help keep you warm but if you ask me the UQ will be plenty for the temps you plan to use it in
    Thanks for the feedback Greenlespaul as once in Thailand there is no decent gear to acquire for our hammocking needs, so a veteren persons perspective is truly helpful.

I usually sleep in all my clothes for my insulation every night anyway in the hammock and when cold I also utilize my lightweight rain jacket and pants. The only additional insulation I carry is a sleeping bag liner. Are you saying to utilize a space blanket as an additional vapor barrier on top of the rain gear i would be in?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast