Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Images
    Hooch,

If this is one of your first things sewn, make sure you are holding onto the top thread for the first couple of stiches. Most machines pull on that thread. It can gum things up on the first couple of stiches. Also make sure that the bottom thread is pulled out enough and in correctly. Things can get a little sketchy when you start changing the tensions, especially the bobbin tension.

On straps I usually end up using a higher tension than ripstop. If it helps I use a different color on it than the straps. That way I can visually check everything. I am starting to do that on everything load bearing after I noticed threads popping on my tarp.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Spinn Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY Top & Bottom
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Images
    OK I'll chime in here and make an idiot out of myself. I had a similar problem that I fought with for about a day. Only after almost swearing off sewing, I found I had the needle in the machine backwards. The problems that I was experienced were very similar to what you describe. If you haven't solved the problem yet, try the needle.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Ok, I need your help, HF gang. I tried to start in on my first true DIY project, but am having sewing machine issues (actually, the whole freakin' subscription). I'm trying to sew polyester straps on my sewing machine I got for Christmas (early). Every time I start sewing, I jam up after just a few stitches. The thread knots on the bottom and I'm stuck. What am I doing wrong? I've tried changing to a heavier needle, adjusting the top tension, adjusting stitch length and even changing thread. I'm at my absolute wit's end and don't have the foggiest as to what to do. Do any of the DIY crew have any ideas, tips, tricks or advice? Anything would be greatly appreciated. Thanx a mil in advance!
    Hooch,

There are a lot of things you could be doing wrong and if you are like I was when I first started you will hit all of them at one time or another. What brand of beer are you drinking, I found a higher quality beer helped with my sewing.

What make and model sewing machine did you get? I found a yahoo group for my brand of sewing machine and they are a good source of info. They don't know much about the materials we use but they know their sewing machines.

You could have issues with the needle type (they have sharp, universal, and ball point). You could have issues with thread size versus needle size. You could be trying to sew too fast for that thick of material. You could be back stitching first with small stitch length and zig-zag that creates a blob that the feed dogs can't pull past when you try to sew forward. You might not have got the top thread firmly in the top tension plates. You might be pulling on the material too much and be bending the needle. You have a lot of things and like someone else mentioned, webbing can be tough to sew in general.

Can you sew a good basic stitch with other fabric?
    Youngblood AT2000

Images
    Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it. I'm going to start sewing on the ripstop, instead of the strapping. It will give me a better feel for things like Tight-Wad said. I don't think the machine needs oiling since it was new out of the box. I've practiced with some 1.9 I got out of the Buck Bin at Wally-World, so maybe I should abandon the strapping for now. I already had the stitch number on the fewest stitches/inch, so I don't think that's the problem. I'll try some of the other ides you guys gave me and go from there. Thanks again!
    It might help if you told what needle size and type (universal, sharp, or ball point) you are using. Same with thread type as best you can as well as stitch width and stitch length. How much control do you have over the sewing speed with your machine, can you sew as slow and as fast as you like or is it all out or nothing?
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Again, thanks for all the expert advice. I finally abandoned the straps for now, concentrating on my hammock body. Maybe I should have started there first, as I'm pretty sure it would have saved me a lot of fustration and bad language. I have, after quite a bit of practice on scrap material and having to go real slow, the end seams of a hammock sewn. Finally. Whew! I did find that after I sew one seam on a side, going back over it to double stitch is not a problem at all and goes much quicker. So for now, I'm out of Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, so will get more tomorrow and start on the sides. Funny, the more I drank, the straighter my hems or seam or whatever you call them got. I think it's a rolled hem, but not positive. Then all I have to do it whip it (Whip it real good) and I'm done. I'm hoping it won't take me 4 hours to do 2 seams this time. I do have to admit, my confidence with the machine is goign up with every seam I sew, so I'm sure I may actually be able to make something that I can actually use in the next decade or so.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    So for now, I'm out of Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, so will get more tomorrow and start on the sides. Funny, the more I drank, the straighter my hems or seam or whatever you call them got.
    yeah, just wait till you see them tomorrow morning
    reminds me of that song... the girls all get prettier at quitin time
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    yeah, just wait till you see them tomorrow morning
    reminds me of that song... the girls all get prettier at quitin time
    Ok, it's 0600 and I'm up. Even with out the beer, the hems are pretty straight. Not bad. Maybe feelin' a little encouraged on this one now.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    Things can get a little sketchy when you start changing the tensions, especially the bobbin tension.
    I won't mess with bottom tension at all, under any circumstance. Not onyl do I not know how to adjust it correctly, I don't know where to adjust it.

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    I won't mess with bottom tension at all, under any circumstance. Not onyl do I not know how to adjust it correctly, I don't know where to adjust it.
    Hi Hooch, I believe we are using the same brother machine. I had the same issue when I started using mine also. I read that manual inside and out. It says if you are getting loops or knots on the bottom to adjust your tension up half a notch and work from there. You may have to go up a little each time but I did finally get it worked out. Another problem was that the needles they sent with the machine made the thread get tangled up for some reason.. i went and bought a new pack. Helped a ton. Also, if you are using 100% polyester thread, make sure it isnt that really thick outdoor thread walmart has... it still has never worked in my machine. You can get a thinner heavy duty 100% polyester there. Once I got the right thread and played with the tension, I can sew jeans, and I made a tarp with grosgrain tie outs. No problems. Sewing is one of the hardest things I have tried to learn and still am not great at it. Most of my projects are functional but not pretty.

Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Images
    When in doubt find the old lady in the craft section or craft store they usually know all! If not the old lady working there the one that's buying the fabric! Had the same problem with my singer and like you I have no clue about adjusting tension or touching anything iside my machine.....er uh uhm, I mean power tool..... besides changing the bobbin.
    Last edited by pure_mahem; 01-03-2008 at 09:51.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast