Hammock
    DIY - Depends on time of year.
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 cat cut
    Insulation
    Down/Synthetic
    Images
    Congratulations on the #1.

Practice my man, practice.... but look at the bright side...

Practice makes more gear!

(Envy from those without will overshadow hems with no straight line)
    ------- AKA "4D's" ----------------
    "Oh yeah, to keep it on topic. I sewed on my hammock today"

"A night above ground makes the next days ride even more enjoyable"

"As for his secret to staying married: "My wife tells me that if I ever decide to leave, she is coming with me." -- Jon BonJovi

Happy Wife = Happy Life" -- author unknown

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    Maybe it was covered in the posting here and I missed it. But if my first stitch does not hit the fabric I have problems with knots in the bobbin area of the machine. So make sure that the first needle down hits the fabric.

Hammock
    Nano-7
    Tarp
    Cat cut tarp
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Walking Bear View Post
    Maybe it was covered in the posting here and I missed it. But if my first stitch does not hit the fabric I have problems with knots in the bobbin area of the machine. So make sure that the first needle down hits the fabric.
    Hi
    To avoid that I normally start my first stitch in about 1/2 in from the edge then go into reverse over those first few stitches, then go forwards again until the end. Then a little more reverse to lock in the last few stitches.

Gunn
    Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
    Winnie the Pooh

My Photo Album
    My youtube videos

Proud member since May 2007

There's nothing like a night of hammock making using a sewing machine to rob you of your sleep.

You can take a perfectly good sewing machine and have endless hours of frustration. It can be anything, from the wrong kind of thread, to the wrong bobbin, a needle not quite right, tension not right, fabric too thin, etc.

Sometimes, I get snags from below where it comes out looking like a big fat clump. Sometimes, the zig zag pattern comes out like a bunch of Y's. Sometimes, the thread in the needle breaks.

For an experienced operator, it would be easy to spot the problems and fix them. What we need is a pictoral resource of errors and their explanation/ resolution.

Having many of the same issues , I set off to the basement to put all of these suggestions to good use- I started by consuming several of my most prized home brews-A holiday ale high in flavor and alcohol . Once the liquid courage kicked in, I removed the contraption that holds the bobbin in the bottom of the machine. I held one end of the thread inbetween two fingers to test the tension . The bobbin rolled away-hit the floor, and rolled under the makeshift sewing table.......guess I needed to adjust the tension-So..I climbed under the table into that dimly lit area reaching for the bobbin- once I found it(way in the back under the radiator) I excitedly jumped up to solve the problem-Striking my head on the bootm of the table-I shirked off the pain and worked through the headache-that is until the blood ran down my forehead from the gash in the top of my head- Not to be stopped from my goal- I wrapped my head and started working on the bobbin tension- and apparently a little turn goes a long way on that tension screw- I had a mess three times worse than before- So I took that "stuff" out from the bobbin area- and all the pieces of the machine as well since they were now all wrapped in thread- but one piece insisted on remaining in its stuck position- I leaned foward to apply a little of the liquid muscle I ingested earlier- and in doing so- my chair hit the foot pedal of the sewing machine-(and because of my masculinity- I didnt even think of turning it off first) and now I can wear an earing in my thumb- And I need to buy a new needle because it snapped- Soon I will replace the needle and try again- I found out exactly what was wrong- I should have seen it from the beginning.............I needed to drink more before starting!!!!

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    ouch!!!!!! hope you feel better now.......
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by landcruzr View Post
    Having many of the same issues , I set off to the basement to put all of these suggestions to good use- I started by consuming several of my most prized home brews-A holiday ale high in flavor and alcohol . Once the liquid courage kicked in, I removed the contraption that holds the bobbin in the bottom of the machine. I held one end of the thread inbetween two fingers to test the tension . The bobbin rolled away-hit the floor, and rolled under the makeshift sewing table.......guess I needed to adjust the tension-So..I climbed under the table into that dimly lit area reaching for the bobbin- once I found it(way in the back under the radiator) I excitedly jumped up to solve the problem-Striking my head on the bootm of the table-I shirked off the pain and worked through the headache-that is until the blood ran down my forehead from the gash in the top of my head- Not to be stopped from my goal- I wrapped my head and started working on the bobbin tension- and apparently a little turn goes a long way on that tension screw- I had a mess three times worse than before- So I took that "stuff" out from the bobbin area- and all the pieces of the machine as well since they were now all wrapped in thread- but one piece insisted on remaining in its stuck position- I leaned foward to apply a little of the liquid muscle I ingested earlier- and in doing so- my chair hit the foot pedal of the sewing machine-(and because of my masculinity- I didnt even think of turning it off first) and now I can wear an earing in my thumb- And I need to buy a new needle because it snapped- Soon I will replace the needle and try again- I found out exactly what was wrong- I should have seen it from the beginning.............I needed to drink more before starting!!!!
    Holy crud! That there is funny! You've got me laughin out loud at the office. What a first go and I thought mine was bad. I agree completely with your conclusion; you just need more home-brew.

I gotta go wipe the tears from my eyes now, thanks for sharing that.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Switchback, DD frontline, or speer
    Tarp
    tttghex DD 3 x 3
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, DD, bags
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, web
    Images
    I second the comment by Hammock Engineer that a light hand is required. It is almost like dancing. (How you say?) You want to lead, but if you are too rough, there is No dancing, just a struggle for supremacy, and we all know who wins that one !

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    Quote Originally Posted by landcruzr View Post
    In my shop there is beer in the frig. However, I don't drink any untill I'm finished with tools that can cut off fingers. May need to add the sewing machine to that list of tools.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast