Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennessey Expedition Asym

Arrow Making tree huggers for a first-time DIY?

So I have some experience hanging, but only with stock hammocks and no customization (I love my HH). This time, however, I'm setting out with a couple friends who don't want to drop $140 on a hammock and we're looking for a lower tech setup for each. Im planning on:

Byer Moskito Traveller
    8x10 Poly Tarp
    (We have pads- no additional insulation needed)
    And some suspension. (Tree huggers and 'Biners, most likely)

This is where my question comes in. What is the best way to add some tree huggers to the package? (For the record, if someone could explain the difference between "suspension" and "tree huggers" to me that would be appreciated as well.)

I could order some 1" Polyester (which I believe is preferable to Polypro) webbing, but I don't have a sewing machine and would not know how to make the straps (all I would need is a loop in each end). If I could accomplish this without the sewing machine, that would seem best to me.

Otherwise, could someone point me to a good, inexpensive source for a few straps that would only require low-tech modification for my use?

Thanks,
    Jumper

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Watch some of Shug's videos (he has a whole section on "hammocking for noobs") to learn more about suspension.

I got a friend of mine into hammocking with a Skeeterbeeter for the same price as the Byer and he liked it. It comes with everything to get it up and running without any extras (which I'm sure the Byer will too).

You will need some modifications to use webbing as a suspension system or you can go with whoopie slings and treestraps which will also need some modification but it's half the fun of hammocking .

I got some ratchet straps from my local box mart a year or so ago. You can find them anywhere. I found a 4 pack of them so could outfit 2 hammocks for about 10-15 bucks.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Hammock
    ENO
    Suspension
    Strap w/ DutchClip
    The answer to the question of straps without any hitech hardwear, dutch clips, rings.. is Yes.
    Just tie a knot and or wrap the strap around the tree several times with a HH knot.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The tree huggers are normally a 1" wide strap ....4' to 6' long with sewn loops on the ends. This goes around the trees and protects the bark and such. When i started I did just what you are asking .... a tree hugger then used line only and used knots. Easily done.
    Get some here: http://www.jacksrbetter.com/TreeSaverStraps.htm
    I went to other suspensions as I hammocked more as I like to try new stuff and wanted a quicker adjustment. just depends on what you are looking for.... lightness, pure, fast, less bulk etc.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    What I've kind of picked up in the last month or so on suspension and tree huggers is, there's about 25 different ways to do the same task. I think on one of Shug's videos he's hooking up a tarp with a dutch clip on one side and a knot on the other "just so I can say I used a knot" or something like that. Watched a link earlier where the guy just tied his straps to the tree outright you had to have the tarp gather tied to a ring and the strap thorugh the ring as well. Then basically the same knot, tied two different ways on both ends and the hammock is suspended without any detachable, Loseable gear. Not as easy to adjust as Whoopie slings though BUT you're not going to lose any piece of your suspension if it's permanently attached.

More important I would think would be, 'What is a good size range for straps to go around trees?" I would imagine that too small and you'd be damaging the tree as much as using a rope. Too big and I think it might start slipping. If I can nip off to the local big box store and buy some cheap straps to convert, should I get the 1 inch, 2 inch or 4 inch version. I see a bunch of them hanging out on the side of the road looking for work. Gone off a semi flatbed I reckon. Still, if those would work I could be coerced to stopping the next time I see one.

Probably be the only guy in the woods with yellow and black suspension.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    If you are familiar with climbing knots you can tie lopps in each end of the webbing (allow extra length). Pass one loop through the other and allow the webbing to snug up to the tree. Then hang whatever suspension you want from the webbing. A trucker's hitch or marlinspike hitch are good attachments to the webbing. No hardware or sewing needed at all.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    What's insulation?
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I just ordered a pair of 10' seatbelt straps from www.strapworks.com for $16 (including shipping). Strapworks will also sew a loop in each end that you can use to attach a carabiner. Pair the strap with a whoopie sling at each end and you are in business.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    What's insulation?
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Oh, and watch all of Shug's videos! Informative and entertaining....be careful, they may lead to uncontrollable laughter and can get you many odd looks if you are watching them in a public place.

I'm still trying to figure out where Shug is from....he may live in Minnesota but that accent has to come from somewhere south of the Mason-Dixon line.

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    He's and Irish, Georgia, Minnesota immigrant, currently performing in Texas??? I can't remember where he is this week.

And it WAS my week to watch him. Sorry guys, slippin.

Hammock
    1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Target and walmart have 1" wide tie down straps in the auto section. Look at the lb rating. You want something around 1000 lbs. I bought a 4 pack of 15 foot long straps for about 12 dollars. I cut the metal hooks off with a dremel. You could use a hack saw if you have the time and the elbow grease. When you cut the hooks off, the straps already have loops in them. I use marlin spikes. For another type of suspension, you may need to add rings etc.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast