Tarp
    HH hex fly
    Insulation
    DIY KAQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

My DIY KAQ

A few weeks ago a fellow scout leader and I bought quilt kits from Paul at AHE. The materials and the customer service were excellent!

I followed these DIY KAQ plans: http://www.hammockforums.net/index.php?page=kaq I only made one modification to the plans which was to move the darts/tie out points by one inch to match the side tie-outs on my HH Explorer.

The quilt is made with two layers of 6.0 Climashield because I camp every month of the year with the scouts and it gets kinda cold around here. It doesn't pack very small, but I don't care - I built it for warmth.

Sorry I didn't get any pictures of the assembly, but wrestling two layers of insulation got a bit tricky at times, and it definately took some coaxing through the thread injector.

The maiden voyage was last weekend. I used my 0*F synth bag (not as a TQ - I used it as a bag and zipped it up) and wore fleece pants and a fleece top, underarmour shirt under the fleece, wool socks and a knit hat/ski mask to bed. I initially tested the UQ during the afternoon when I took a one hour nap - temp was 18*F and almost no breeze. I was very toasty.

During the overnight the low dropped to -2*F. Fortuneatly I had a lodge to bail out to, which I did when I felt I was getting too chilled with the gear I had. Realistically, I think this setup can get me to around 5*F or 10*F which I'm happy with. I expect I could go lower if I wore more clothes or had a different bag - or if I added a pad to the setup.

I'd like to thank Paul at AHE for an excellent kit, and for this forum for all the knowledge that has been shared. No way would I have been able to pull this off without all the assistance!

Sorry about the picture quality, but I only had my phone available...

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Tarp
    DIY Diamond
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopie
    Images
    Nice work. That's a cold hang.

Jbo

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Congratulations on the KAQ UQ project completion and testing phase. I am glad to see that you were able to make it to the woods and were able to get below 0. The kit is great as well as Paul and his staff (Family). Keep us posted on any future outings.......
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Excellent work.
    One day maybe I'll be brave enough to try some cold weather hanging like this.
    Gotta make more cold weather gear first.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

• + New Posts