only hammock: Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra-sil
    Insulation
    research in prog
    Suspension
    poly straps/whoops

Dutch Clips vs JRB Tri-Glides

Does anyone have experience with both Dutch Clips and JRB Tri-Glides? Any advice on the relative advantages and disadvantages? All input will be most appreciated.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi View Post
    Does anyone have experience with both Dutch Clips and JRB Tri-Glides? Any advice on the relative advantages and disadvantages? All input will be most appreciated.
    You do realize that DCs and Tri-Glides have totally different functions???

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    only hammock: Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra-sil
    Insulation
    research in prog
    Suspension
    poly straps/whoops
    I'm obviously a noob. I thought they were both for securing straps onto trees. Please enlighten me.

Images
    Tri Glides are apart of a hammock end strap system http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Strap%20Set.htm , and are more comparable to the whoopie sling/strap/Dutch clip set up http://www.jacksrbetter.com/HammockSuspensionSystem.htm.

BTW - JackRBetter sells the TriGlides and Dutch Clips, if you haven't noticed by the links I provided.
    Last edited by Joey; 01-29-2011 at 11:32.

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi View Post
    I'm obviously a noob. I thought they were both for securing straps onto trees. Please enlighten me.
    Bodhi,

can we understand what your thoughts were on how you wanted to use them? a dutch clip is a replacement piece for a carabiner that you'd use when loop the strap around the tree and hooking it to the line that runs down to your hammock suspension.

the tri gluide can be used a couple of ways. you could have a really long strap and create a really long loop where one end of the loop would have your suspension line and the other end would go behind the tree. with this set up your strap could walk down the tree as you sleep due to shifting at night.

the other set up is using a dutch clip at the tree then using the tri-glide to create a loop at your suspension.

hope this helps.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bloomgorge View Post
    Bodhi,

can we understand what your thoughts were on how you wanted to use them? a dutch clip is a replacement piece for a carabiner that you'd use when loop the strap around the tree and hooking it to the line that runs down to your hammock suspension.

the tri gluide can be used a couple of ways. you could have a really long strap and create a really long loop where one end of the loop would have your suspension line and the other end would go behind the tree. with this set up your strap could walk down the tree as you sleep due to shifting at night.

the other set up is using a dutch clip at the tree then using the tri-glide to create a loop at your suspension.

hope this helps.
    This is well said...Think of DCs as replacing heavier Nano Biner/biners at the tree.

Think of Tri-glides as an alternative to heavy steal cinch buckles on the hammock end.

FWIW, the simple strap with Tri-glide is among the lightest, if not lightest, simplest and most adjustable approaches to hammock suspension ...Properly employed it will not slip on a tree, yet it allows simple easy adjustment at the tree.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Triglides are versatile and imo underated. One advantage is you do not need sewn loops in the webbing to use them.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    do tri glides need to at the tree, or anywhere along the suspension?

also, once the tree wrap is formed... does the webbing need to run back through both slots, or is one "fine"?
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rip waverly View Post
    do tri glides need to at the tree, or anywhere along the suspension?

also, once the tree wrap is formed... does the webbing need to run back through both slots, or is one "fine"?
    Anywhere between tree and hammock if you have enough webbing. Mostly though closer to the tree. Go through both slots, I think that might be required to hold. I have not really tested it though.

BTW, (already said but another way to say it) the Dutch clip or biner is for clipping back onto the webbing after you have taken the webbing once around a tree. Other than that it has no adjustment capabilities, you still need something like a cinch buckle or rings at the other end of the webbing to adjust length of webbing- to center the hammock. A Tri-glide serves both functions in one piece of metal, though it is a tad slower than just clipping a biner on and adjusting an already attached cinch buckle. So if you are going to use a Tri-glide, you will need to allot another 15 sec- 2 minutes to your set up time. Or whatever extra it actually takes you to tread the webbing back through the Tri-glide. So if you are in a fastest hammock set up contest, you will probably need a biner or clip plus cinch buckle to really compete.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-29-2011 at 13:41.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    I gots a Question sort of along these lines, but different: How do you use a dutch clip WITH the tri-glides? I have an idea, but would like to hear yours / see pictures before I accidentally go to ground by doing it wrong.

Options I came up with, in no order:
    Continue to use the tree hugger & toggle system like on the WhoOpie slings, but using the Tri-Glids just like whoOpies.

Mount the Tri-glid & strap Backwards (Tri-Glide loop at the hammock & "free" [sewn loop] end to the tree & Dutch Clips.

Just put the dutch clip on the tri-glide with the loop (made by the tri-Glide, not the sewn one) at the tree w no "tree hugger".

I haven't even opened the packages yet, so am just guessing. I do need to do what ever puts the minimum strain on my Dutch's as the ones I have are some of the originals & have seen more use than I suspect (& Dutch kind of confirmed, , , sort of) was meant for a lifetime, & I've only had them just over a year. Enough that my at home use will be confined to some climbers Biners & save the Dutch clips for on trail use only.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast