Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gortex rain fly

What's an overcover? Would this work/be necessary to put under my UQ? I was looking at the chinook just now. looks really affordable and light. is that the right impression?

also I measured my gortex and it's 5ft wide. still sound like that's too narrow from what you guys are telling me. i kind of want to set it up and see though. I know you guys have a ton of experience and I'm not doubting you but for basic drizzle coverage and dew, it seems like it would work. Haha, this is going to sound dumb but I've been sleeping under a tied up poncho for the last year when backpacking and it's gotten me through some heavy rains. That was not in a hammock though so I would wound't be surprised if it's totally different.

How wide is Just jeffs?

All that said, i guess the real issue I orginally came with is if gortex will work as a material. So even if I can get by with how narrow it is, i still don't know how well it will keep out rain.
    Last edited by niCastro; 01-29-2011 at 17:51.

Senior Member Cold Butt Stephen's Avatar
    Hammock
    SL 1.1 oz DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Hex
    Insulation
    Frankenpad
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by niCastro View Post
    What's an overcover? Would this work/be necessary to put under my UQ? I was looking at the chinook just now. looks really affordable and light. is that the right impression?

also I measured my gortex and it's 5ft wide. still sound like that's too narrow from what you guys are telling me. i kind of want to set it up and see though. I know you guys have a ton of experience and I'm not doubting you but for basic drizzle coverage and dew, it seems like it would work. Haha, this is going to sound dumb but I've been sleeping under a tied up poncho for the last year when backpacking and it's gotten me through some heavy rains. That was not in a hammock though so I would wound't be surprised if it's totally different.

How wide is Just jeffs?

All that said, i guess the real issue I orginally came with is if gortex will work as a material. So even if I can get by with how narrow it is, i still don't know how well it will keep out rain.
    As far as I know, the material should work fine as a tarp, but I don't know for sure.

An overcover is material that goes over the top of your hammock to keep you warmer. It will go right over the hammock, though, not above like a tarp. Here is an example of a popular one.

Lots of people on here are using the chinook. The consensus that I've seen is that it works great and is well made, but that it's heavier than many other options out there for materials (like silnylon, spinntex, or cuben fiber). It is, however, way cheaper than those and if you don't ind the weight then it's a great option.
    Last edited by Cold Butt Stephen; 02-02-2011 at 03:53. Reason: Misread something
    ------------------------------------------------------

CBS (Cold Butt Stephen)

Hammock
    DIY CCC (climate control cocoon)
    Tarp
    ultralight square
    Insulation
    silverback+fleece
    Suspension
    double webbing sys
    Some people suggested overcover others a sock. Both opinions are right and I would add a third application as a tarp. All in one at the same time and GoreTex makes it possible cos this is the best stuff on the planet absolutely waterproof AND breathable. Let me explain.
    In good weather you can easily use it as tarp to protect you from morning dew or light shower, no wind.
    In more rainy conditions with light winds you can lower the tarp at steeper angle protecting you from above and the sides given your bum is not hanging two feet lower than ends of the hammock.
    In torrential rain or stormy weather you just untie all four corners from the pegs and tie all ends of the tarp under the hammock, two under head end and the other two under foot end.
    This creates some sort of semi sock open from underneath but with the right dimensions and pretty straight hammock profile (I know it's not that comfortable - just emergency solution) it can get you dry and warm through a heavy storm. It's easier said than done. It has been working for me very well but it took me long to get all factors under control and playing together.
    Don't ask me how I get in or out. You'll figure it out or wait until I'm back home and post some pics or a video some time in late February. Until then don't cut it if possible. You won't regreat. Curious? Read on.
    There are many different waterproof fabrics but only few are really breathable and GoreTex is by far superior. It doesn't matter for a tarp, it does for an overcover but for a sock it's absolutely vital.
    Because of a snug fit you get wet if the fabric cannot breathe.
    You're very lucky to be in posession of that piece.
    I've been trying to get hold of GoreTex material for very long time until I read on company website that they don't sell to anyone except carefully selected partners who have the technology to incorporate it into garments, boots etc. The best fabric is useless if seams are not properly sealed and durable. This is to protect GoreTex's excellent reputation on the market.
    How do I know it? I had to do a lot of online and hands on research.
    I worked as a motorcycle courier in London for a few years. Winters are not particularly frosty there but miserably damp and cold. It's raining most of the time. To survive riding every day all day and sometimes at night too you need the best waterproof gear out there. I tried cheap stuff first like impregnated nylon, then all more costly options and they were not bad for a short time. However everything started leaking after a few months. So I got the most expensive one of them all GoreTex. Not those fancy and highly overpriced biker clothing but a British military overjacket and overtrousers.
    Very thin fabric but amazingly strong and durable. Highest spec.
    That stuff was still expensive but worth every penny. I regreted very much that I didn't go for it in the first place. It never leaked in three years on the road not even on motorways in torrential rain and its breathability is second to none.
    Sorry for a novel size post but I'm just trying to tell you how valuable material you've got. To clarify GoreTex is not a fabric but a climate membrane totally waterproof yet letting vapour escape through micropores. It's a sort of foil put between two layers of fabric. Hi tech stuff. The membrane alone could be destroyed in no time.
    Could you PM me about where you got it from if it's ok?

Also check the latest update on GoreTex newest creation GoreTex Active Shell:
    http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/gear-fe...ches/7530.html
    Last edited by jax140; 02-05-2011 at 16:53. Reason: GoreTex product line update

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12