DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    none yet
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

creativeKayts tomahawk design

I watched her youtube videos and learned alot of stuff. my main question is that ive only seen rectangle hammocks tied at the end. Kates, if you lay it on the horizontal looks like a tomahawk. What does this add? I made a small model and it seems to flatten the lay but decrease the width. Here in is the simple question that all diy noobs like me search for. where to start? Help! I've got $80 of ripstop on the way that I'm so looking forward to messing up!

PS when it gets here I'll have some digi kcote that I'll 'pay it forward'.
    Last edited by grok; 01-30-2011 at 00:39. Reason: typo

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Most of the hammocks you'll see here are "gathered end" hammocks, made from rectangles of fabric. The end-gathering methods (at least 4 primary methods, some of which have variances) makes a huge difference in how the hammock ends up. There are as many opinions as types as far as which is best...

Most people use a structural ridgeline, which is a piece of line, cord, paracord, rope, lash-it, etc. that fixes the length between the two ends. Having a droopy hammock is more comfortable than a flatter hammock, and allows the diagonal lay. A structural ridgeline also takes the variation out of each time you setup, making your hanging experience consistent. You'll want to play with yours a bit to decide what is right for you. I found that I like a really droopy hammock, more than I first expected to try.

By laying diagonally in a droopy hammock, you can lay much flatter. If you lay in the center of the fabric, your knees cannot bend to match that curve so many end up with knee/hip pain from the pressure that causes.

There is another type of hammock: a bridge hammock. Since I know little about them other than from pictures, I'll stay on the Gathered -End side.

Read the Sticky in the DIY forum from Knotty. It describes a very popular whipping (gathering) method that is foolproof and easy. (my personal favorite, too)

There are lots of tips, etc. Watch Shug's videos on youtube. One tip for hanging: Try to get the suspension lines on your hammock around 30-degrees off the horizontal. Close is ok. Suspension that is too tight can cause hammock or suspension failure, as the tighter the suspension, the more your weight is multiplied to the lines... Droopy suspension means the lines carry your weight, tight suspension and the lines can experience many times your weight in force...

Hope this helps. the bottom line: Read, try stuff out, and see what works for you... oh, and have fun doing it!

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    Ask me tomorrow
    Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images
    Thanks!
    You'll have to forgive me... I'm still relatively new to "the hammock" and I'm not sure what the specifics to the tomahawk design are (it's one I don't grok, yet ). Is it the curved sides? If so, I did this so I could see out of the hammock a bit better. It's still wide enough near my feet and head to allow for a diagonal (and, therefore, flat) lay and it gives me just a bit more visibility, which was the whole point of trying it.

As far as where to start, you might go with the basic rectangle and see if you like it. Once you try it, start to tweak. For example, try to add a foot box or experiment with spreader bars to achieve a bridge.

Rule of thumb: you can always take material away, but it is far harder to put material back in.

I hope this helps. Post pics of your progress!

Oh, and a great post, is this one: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=15205

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    none yet
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Thanks CK That felt like commenting on sci fi and having heinlien writing back
    This will be my fourth DIY so I of course want it to be the ultimate! Till now ive sewed a chanel, run a cord through and reversed a few half hitches to close off the ends. One ridge/suspension line, knot tied to carabiners inside each end of the hammock to keep the ridge at a specific length.
    I tie out the sides of my hammock so seeing out is not a problem. The blade curve at the ends that you have incorperated seem to reduce the loose fabric in the hammock as well as shorten the sides.
    I'm curious if others have altered the basic rectangle and what were the results?

CK Tomahawk Let me know where to send my fabric + your fee... I'll buy one

Images
    Out of curiosity, what method does WB use on the BB ends?

• + New Posts