Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Two Truckers Hitches?

Hey forum,

I recntly got a Hennessy Hammock and i've been trying all kinds of knots out to see what will work the best. I started with two tautline hitches (you can adjust but doesn't slip when pulled on) but found that when you added quick release it no longer held weight and slipped. Also they are a pain to untie if no quick release is there. I tried a whole bunch of combinations with the evenk or siberian hitch, and then i discovered the Truckers Hitch. So, basically, all i do is tie a truckers hitch on both sides and im set to go. The ONLY problem i have found so far is when you are taking it down it is sometimes hard to pull the quick release through the rest of the knot. All ive done to fix this is to put something to keep the knot from tensioning too much on the quick release so it is super easy to take down. . Ive used sticks and the plastic from clothing hangers, but i have recently upgraded to copper tubing.

Is this a good way to do things? It's the most effective way i have found with knots. All input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle Long
    Tarp
    HH stock (diamond)
    Insulation
    Incubator+Renegade
    Suspension
    huggers & whoopies
    I use a truckers hitch on my HHDJ, but for some reason, i get more slippage when I use a truckers hitch on both ends, so I use a bowline on one end & a truckers hitch on the other. Works very well. I don't understand why I get slippage with two - must have been something I did wrong. When releasing the TH, I have found that a good quick jerk snap works better than just pulling it through.

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

A bit confused here

But then, I am often confused!

I assuem you are referring to your suspension ropes. I wonder why you need a trucker's hitch to tighten them? My experience with a HH is that the most comfortable lay is with the suspension ropes at about a 30 deg angle to the ground. This allows a comfy, soft lay without a ridge of fabric forming under your legs, and it greatly reduces the tension on the hammock fabric and your anchors. In this scenario, the HH Hitch works well, and eliminates the need for truckers or taughtline hitches.

Jim
    Formerly a "Taught Pitcher" who learned the slack pitch here on HF.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    I use an evenk hitch at one end with a truckers hitch at the other

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    I started using Figure 9s on the ends. Backed those with a quick release half-hitch to avoid any slipping. It worked very well, but after about a dozen nights or so, I did see some abrasion of the cord. I later swapped those out with whoopie slings.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Why aren't you just using the standard HH figure 8 lashing? For the most part knots aren't used on hammock suspension lines because they can be too hard to untie after being loaded all night.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsaults View Post
    But then, I am often confused!

I assuem you are referring to your suspension ropes. I wonder why you need a trucker's hitch to tighten them? My experience with a HH is that the most comfortable lay is with the suspension ropes at about a 30 deg angle to the ground. This allows a comfy, soft lay without a ridge of fabric forming under your legs, and it greatly reduces the tension on the hammock fabric and your anchors. In this scenario, the HH Hitch works well, and eliminates the need for truckers or taughtline hitches.

Jim
    Formerly a "Taught Pitcher" who learned the slack pitch here on HF.
    Roger that!

Other than a little extra time when setting up or adjusting, I don't see what is wrong with the HH lashing. I can pull more than tight enough, and it holds with zero slip and releases when done 100% of the time. Not the fastest thing in town, but I'm not usually in that big of a hurry.

I used to think readjustment of hammock height was a PITA. But since I quit pulling it so tight, even that is usually not a problem. I normally do not wrap the tree huggers more than once around the entire tree, but just take the hugger around the back of the tree only, at least on the foot end if not both. I found out this works good enough when using the JRB BMBH webbing with Tri-glide. So, unless pulled way tighter than needed, all I have to do is pull tight on the hammock, releasing tension and allowing me to move one end up or down as needed.

Don't get me wrong. My cinch buckles and whoopies are really nice. Fast precise adjustment. The Tri-glides are only a bit slower. But, really, on a back pack trip I'm not usually out to break set up speed records anymore. (used to be, just to make my tenting buddies envious ) So if I am using the HH rope and huggers, the HH lashing is just fine. I also still like those Marine cleat thingies people were posting about here for a while. As well as the Hitchcraft(but be careful, you can pull WAY too tight with these). But all of those things add a smidgen of weight.

Knotty: well said with a video also!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Like Billy Bob said,

"....But since I quit pulling it so tight, even that is usually not a problem......"

It is AMAZING how many problems a slack pitch solves! I too have converted to webbing and use AHE cinch buckles, but this is more for the convenience of centering the hammock between the trees. Usually, I set the hang height and that is it. One time; No fiddling.

Compare this to my "Old Days" where I tried to tie off low and tight. I would set up, lie down, get up and re-tighten the set, lie down, and then usually have to re-tighten one more time. Placed a bunch of tension on the whole system, and was difficult to adjust as well.

Life is sooooo much easier now that I have found HF!

Jim

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsaults View Post
    "....But since I quit pulling it so tight, even that is usually not a problem......"

It is AMAZING how many problems a slack pitch solves! I too have converted to webbing and use AHE cinch buckles, but this is more for the convenience of centering the hammock between the trees. Usually, I set the hang height and that is it. One time; No fiddling.

Compare this to my "Old Days" where I tried to tie off low and tight. I would set up, lie down, get up and re-tighten the set, lie down, and then usually have to re-tighten one more time. Placed a bunch of tension on the whole system, and was difficult to adjust as well.

Life is sooooo much easier now that I have found HF!

Jim
    And STILL nothing broke! All those years of most folks tightening the devil out of their HH ropes, with most never having any problems like suspension failure, is a testimony to the quality of the HH design. Or maybe to a very conservative weight rating for the hammocks.

Although, I have heard of more than one ridge line breaking, but that rope is pretty thin. I think even most of those were after folks switched to devices like cinch buckles ( or especially a Hitchcraft) and could really crank it down. Maybe without even realizing it.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

I broke a ridgeline.

And I was standing at one end, pulling sideways to take stretch out of the system! SPROOOIIING! Imagine how tight I had that hammock......tight enough that it was difficult to pull my legs in after sitting down and weighting the hammock.

I feel so foolish.

Jim

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast