Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY 1.1 whipped ends
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' Sil
    Suspension
    Whoopie SLS

Which OWF webbing for tree huggers?

I want to replace my old tree huggers. I think they are nylon and are stretching. I hang off Amsteel whoopie slings, so you would thing I wouldnt have much stretch. Sometime I use big trees though, and there can be a lot of nylon wrapped around them.

Anyway... I'm planing an order with OWF soon, so I thought I would pick up some polypro webbing. Is Polyester better? I really don't want 1" webbing. I'd like it to be lighter. I'm thinking the 1/2" or 3/4" would be plenty, but I'm not sure which type to get from OWF. The have "soft link", "heavy link", and "tight weave". http://www.owfinc.com/Hardware/Shardware/webbing.asp

Which would be best?

I also looked at strapworks. They claim the 1/2 webbing has a 400lb breaking strength. That might be cutting it close huh? That has me thinking 3/4 is better.

I know for a lot of folks here, weight isn't a big issue, but I'll be using these on a thru of the PCT this year, so ever gram matters!

On a related note, I'm planing to make them 6' long. Anyone done the PCT and know if that will be long enough to fit around the trees the whole way? Too long is better then too short when using a whoopie sling and marlin spike.

Thanks in advance.
    Life is hard? Compared to what?

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

I vote in favor of the tree bark.

Which means, IMO, that 1/2" or 3/4" webbing is too narrow. I think that conventional wisdom around here is that 1, 1-1/2 or 2" webbing is appropriate for huggers.

That said, any polyester webbing would work. I used to think that polypropylene web was OK, but I have come to love the polyester from AHE. Ant polyester web from OWF that is 1" or wider would be acceptable to me.

Jim

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    Poncho Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic UB
    Suspension
    Tree Huggers
    Images
    Polyester is better if you are looking at the ability to dry out that morning dew faster and not worry about wet weight. Both are very Strong fibers, i have always used the 1 inch webbing from my local climbing store to hang mine as well as a rope to climb down on in a pinch. Its the sad truth but the few extra grams will make closing your eyes for the night just a little more cozy knowing your not going to wake up in the mud. They do have some weight to them but that is just a downfall of not using a whoopie sling and only the webbing. I would us the tight weave. My buddy at the climbing shop says that the tighter it is the lest stretch to the fiber and the less stretch is going to me less slip and stress to the webbing and tree. I hope this answers a few questions. Hope this helps

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 whipped ends
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' Sil
    Suspension
    Whoopie SLS
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsaults View Post
    Which means, IMO, that 1/2" or 3/4" webbing is too narrow. I think that conventional wisdom around here is that 1, 1-1/2 or 2" webbing is appropriate for huggers.

That said, any polyester webbing would work. I used to think that polypropylene web was OK, but I have come to love the polyester from AHE. Ant polyester web from OWF that is 1" or wider would be acceptable to me.

Jim
    Thanks for the reply. I know that a lot of "conventional wisdom" around here can tend towards the over built end of the spectrum.

Who is AHE? (NEVERMIND, figured out it's arrowhead equipment) What are the main differences between polypro and polyester? I'd prefer whatever is lighter. 2600 miles is a long way to carry anything. I want light as I can get away with.

I guess I should have mentioned I've been hanging on 3/4" webbing. I think it is the 3/4 Nylon flat weave on the same page I linked.
    Last edited by hikelite; 01-21-2011 at 15:04. Reason: see above

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 whipped ends
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' Sil
    Suspension
    Whoopie SLS
    Quote Originally Posted by DRChammock View Post
    Polyester is better if you are looking at the ability to dry out that morning dew faster and not worry about wet weight. Both are very Strong fibers, i have always used the 1 inch webbing from my local climbing store to hang mine as well as a rope to climb down on in a pinch. Its the sad truth but the few extra grams will make closing your eyes for the night just a little more cozy knowing your not going to wake up in the mud. They do have some weight to them but that is just a downfall of not using a whoopie sling and only the webbing. I would us the tight weave. My buddy at the climbing shop says that the tighter it is the lest stretch to the fiber and the less stretch is going to me less slip and stress to the webbing and tree. I hope this answers a few questions. Hope this helps
    Thanks for the info about the tight weave. That makes sense. Probably heavier, but less stretch is my goal. 1" just seems sooo wide since I've used 3/4" for years. I made hammocks for a couple friends too and they are using the same straps.

Maybe I'll order both and then decide :P

How long for just tree huggers? I use whoopies and a marling spike.

Hammock
    11' gathered end
    Tarp
    Hex 11' DIY
    Insulation
    Revolt/Enigma
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    they only have one option for polyester and that is 1" camo which I have used and works great. I tested some of the 1" TIGHTpolypro and it broke where the spike was. Not right away but after a few test hangs leaving the hammock up in my basement. Hanging in different spots that moved the force around on the webbing would have prolonged their life but i still don't trust it. i also think that with polypro it is important to not create kinks in the webbing from tying the spike hitch. if i was using elephant trunks and dutch clips i think it may last longer as they keep if from creating friction on itself. It seems like it almost burnt through where the spike was, maybe the whoopie slipped down there and created friction heat, but i still would use polyester instead.

-Tim

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 whipped ends
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' Sil
    Suspension
    Whoopie SLS
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshLaw303 View Post
    they only have one option for polyester and that is 1" camo which I have used and works great. I tested some of the 1" TIGHTpolypro and it broke where the spike was. Not right away but after a few test hangs leaving the hammock up in my basement. Hanging in different spots that moved the force around on the webbing would have prolonged their life but i still don't trust it. i also think that with polypro it is important to not create kinks in the webbing from tying the spike hitch. if i was using elephant trunks and dutch clips i think it may last longer as they keep if from creating friction on itself. It seems like it almost burnt through where the spike was, maybe the whoopie slipped down there and created friction heat, but i still would use polyester instead.

-Tim
    Thanks Tim

I sure don't want a failure, but I still want as light as possible. I'll get polyester, but can I get away with 1/2" or 3/4"?

I guess I'll be ordering the polyester webbing from somewhere else unless I go with 1".

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    1" polypro is only rated to 600 pounds.....at the very minimum of "safe" for hammocks. 3/4" will probably only be good to 300-400 pounds. Nylon is stronger than polys as it has stretch and give to absorb the load. But it stretches, so it is not good for hanging. Weight wise we have measured and the difference per foot of 3/4 poly up to 1" poly is like one gram per foot...in a 6-8 foot strap it will be less than a half ounce difference in weight. Having a strap break along the trail would put you out of your hammock for days at the minimum. Carrying an extra once for assurance would be worth it in my opinion.

Hope the specs help you decide what will work for your trip I would love to do one of the long trails at some point.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hikelite View Post
    ... can I get away with 1/2" or 3/4"?
    I'd say that depends on your goal in using tree straps.

If the goal is to disperse the compressive and abrasive forces of the loaded hammock suspension across a wide area to minimize the potential for damage to the tree, then I would think that 3/4" is on the narrow side. I used 2" wide Polypropylene for mine. It may be "overbuilt", but I rather like not being prohibited from hanging where I want. I think that the wider straps cause considerably less visible damage and help to keep "the man" off my back. 2" straps are light compared to "the man".
    http://www.questoutfitters.com/narro...s.htm#WEBBING- NYLON, product #2025, white, $0.30/yard.

If the goal is just to keep your backside off of the ground, then I suspect even the narrow 1/2" straps would suffice, for a short period of time, at least. Not much margin as the strength degrades.
    Last edited by rjcress; 01-21-2011 at 15:27.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 whipped ends
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' Sil
    Suspension
    Whoopie SLS
    Thanks everyone.

You all convinced me to use 1" polyester. I had not considered the damage to the tree enough. My current huggers can still leave a mark sometimes.

This also means I can order it with my materials to make a TQ.

Any feedback on how long to make them?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast