Is this good enough?

This is what I have laying around for insulation, do you think it's enough?
    The hammock is a Speer type (I think, I'm new to this)
    3/4 Z-rest with small wings for shoulders using CCF
    20 degree down sleeping bag.

I'll be wearing:
    thermal bottoms (poly pro)
    Knee warmers (I'm using all this for cycling so I'll be wearing everything)
    2 pairs of wool socks (on dry pair against the skin, the wetter pair that I was wearing over them to dry out)
    1 balaclava
    1 base layer Smartwool shirt
    1 long sleeve smarwool with arm warmers
    cycling vest or I could wear my rain jacket if needed
    gloves
    I could also pull on my rain pants if needed

Would this get me down into the mid to upper 30's? I don't have a lot of space for bulk and need to have a set up as light as possible. I've heard of the windshield screen. Could I place it under the z-rest?
    Thoughts?
    Right now money dictates everything and the budget is tight. I am starting to take my first sewing class this week so I'm open to suggestions, but once again everything needs to be light and compressable. I'll be using all of this on the Colorado Trail this summer but at around 10k feet (avg) so I can get cold quick up there.
    Thanks for the help!!!

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    my 1st thoughts are that you're getting close, but in that location, i'd be a little concerned about at least two things...
    1)... how wide are those wings & what are they made of? and how did you attach them?

2)... you'll want something under your legs. the wind screen would help, but you'll get better warmth vs weight & bulk from a ccf pad.

if you're going to be learning to sew & make some of your own gear, i'm thinking you will get a smaller, lighter package by making an under quilt... even if you make it w/ synthetic insulation.

of course having a 3/4 length ccf pad for extra warmth & as a sit pad is still a good idea.
    also, you'll want to have a plan if you have to sleep on the ground at some point. the ccf will be good for that. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Might get real cold at 10k feet. Hard to test out your gear near home in Austin, Tx. for those temps. The z-lite is seldom used here as a main pad. I've heard it has a tendency to buckle. Some use it sideways as a wing. The Ridgerest is much better. The cheaper blue 3/8" wally world pad works well also.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    yeah, i know it's convenient to be able to just fold the z-rest, but i've herd to many people report that it just didn't give the padding or the R value of other pads.

So would a blue CCF pad work as well as a Ridgerest? Ultimately I want an UQ (I think) and would be willing to try to make one when I get more practice but for know...

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sherpaxc View Post
    So would a blue CCF pad work as well as a Ridgerest? Ultimately I want an UQ (I think) and would be willing to try to make one when I get more practice but for know...
    i think it would. the ridgerest may be considered by some to be a better pad (& it well may be... that's what i had used back in my pre hammock days, on top of 1 or 2 other pads ) but the differences might be hard to detect in a hammock.
    although it seams to me the softer nature of the ridgerest might conform to the hammock a little better & be more comfortable.
    but it's been a while since i used a ccf pad in the hammock so we'll see what some of the others say.

Images
    You might be able to use a 1/2 underquilt with a ccf pad under your legs. I think I'm gonna try that route myself. You could make a hammock sock to take along just in case the temps dip on you.
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sherpaxc View Post
    It would work as well. Some say the Ridgerest isn't quite as warm because of the ridges. I forget the reasoning behind that. It works fine with me. It is more comfortable than most other CCF pads. They sell a 25" wide version.
    Depending on how cold natured you are as well as many other factors, you'd need at least one pad and the underquilt in temps below 20° or so.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

One thing I make use of in cold temps(without a weight penalty) is my Mylar space blanket. I use a BA bag and wrap the space blanket(reflective side up) around my CCF pad and insert it into the BA sleeve. I can get several wraps of the mylar around the CCF and this adds much needed protection and works great and there is no noise(really)! Your bag doesn't have a sleeve but you could still rig it up in this fashion and save weight and Bulk?

Another option is a bag liner. I use a poncho liner as well if the trip requires it? Works for me... Hopes this helps...
    Last edited by rasputen; 01-06-2008 at 22:19.
    Hammock hanging and fly fishing;it just doesn't get any better!

• + New Posts