Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTiles View Post
    You've got me thinking. Could I make whoopie type tensioners for my tarp pullouts and such? Fixed eye on one end for larks head ties and whoopie on the other end for infinite adjustment?
    You could, but it would not be the best choice. Whoopies are difficult to adjust when under tension.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    You could, but it would not be the best choice. Whoopies are difficult to adjust when under tension.
    Agreed. Tried a whoopie tarp ridgeline and that didn't last long too long when I realized that I couldn't get a tight pitch.

If you are looking for infinite adjustability, splice both ends of your guyline to make dead eyes. Tie a small piece of accessory cordage (any cordage with a smaller girth than your actual guy line) to the tieout on the tarp and prussik the accessory cord to the guy line. You can now move the entire length of guyline up and down to achieve the infinite adjustability you mentioned.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Splicability is a good option IMO. I put locked brummels on all the stake ends and buried the tarp end with continuous loops prussic onto that end. I just larksheaded the cintinuous loop on the tie outs. Talk about neat and tidy. I dig it. My two cents ifn ya wanna try it.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendertoe View Post
    Agreed. Tried a whoopie tarp ridgeline and that didn't last long too long when I realized that I couldn't get a tight pitch.

If you are looking for infinite adjustability, splice both ends of your guyline to make dead eyes. Tie a small piece of accessory cordage (any cordage with a smaller girth than your actual guy line) to the tieout on the tarp and prussik the accessory cord to the guy line. You can now move the entire length of guyline up and down to achieve the infinite adjustability you mentioned.

what he said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=5QcS0RFz-sE
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Z-line spectra cord from Z packs.

1.25mm -.55oz/50ft = 1.10oz/100ft
    1.5mm - .88oz/50ft = 1.76oz/100ft

Looks like the 1.25mm is the winner, but I believe its braided but sheathed so splicing wouldn't be an option. I wonder how it does with tangling? Dynaglide being a close 2nd to my knowledge isn't bad with tangling, splices great, and is very strong.

Hammock
    BIAS WW
    Tarp
    CF
    Insulation
    GLP 3/4 special
    Suspension
    DG whoops/huggers
    for the record, I got some braided mason line from HD today. I'll be making up rig similar to Grizz's youtube vid in this thread in the coming days. If it ever stops raining, I might get to try it out in the field...

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HamMike View Post
    Splicability is a good option IMO. I put locked brummels on all the stake ends and buried the tarp end with continuous loops prussic onto that end. I just larksheaded the cintinuous loop on the tie outs. Talk about neat and tidy. I dig it. My two cents ifn ya wanna try it.
    That's what I have on my JRB 11x10, only I have silicone tube tarp tensioners installed. Using 2.2mm on the tie-outs with 1.75 mm loops. Now, I am starting to have a much harder time adjusting the line through the prussiks. The prussiks are becoming much more difficult to "massage" loose, too. Is this just the nature of the coated lines? Has anyone else had this issue?

I'm not trying to hijack--in fact I think this is something you should consider before buying the lines. I am about to disassemble my setup and just use a marlin hitch on the stake or even use ATTroll's method, which could be used with Speer No Tangle very well, and simply, IMO.
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    BIAS WW
    Tarp
    CF
    Insulation
    GLP 3/4 special
    Suspension
    DG whoops/huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by rip waverly View Post
    Okay, I've watched this a few times. Question. What is the loop for the prussic made out of? I was under the assumption the prussic rope needs to be a smaller dia than the main rope you are sliding it along. It appears all the rope is 1.75 dyneema. Regardless, I'm going to mimic this set up for my tarp and aux pull-outs on my lighthiker. Looks like a nice set up...

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    You've got me thinking. Could I make whoopie type tensioners for my tarp pullouts and such? Fixed eye on one end for larks head ties and whoopie on the other end for infinite adjustment?
    i just started playing around with this a month or 2 ago...so far i haven't had any problems...but they are right you can't adjust it once you have it set...so make sure you get it nice and tight befor you even stake in the side tie-outs
    out ......
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Okay, I've watched this a few times. Question. What is the loop for the prussic made out of? I was under the assumption the prussic rope needs to be a smaller dia than the main rope you are sliding it along. It appears all the rope is 1.75 dyneema. Regardless, I'm going to mimic this set up for my tarp and aux pull-outs on my lighthiker. Looks like a nice set up...
    I've started using 1.5mm Sterling rope for all my prussiks on my Dynaglide - 4 wraps to hold better.

I do believe that is Zing-It on Zing-It in the video. You can get by with the same size diameter (smaller is better). I haven't used Dyneema on Dyneema but I have used 2 mm on 2mm accessory rope with pretty good success.

Once you have the adjuster down. Add some tensioners and you'll really be cooking. I use these - the best guyout setup for me (3rd post down). Tell us what you end up with.
    Last edited by Tendertoe; 02-13-2011 at 13:48.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast