Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Nope your not being a pain.
    My plan was to base camp on Shi Shi. It is a great place to camp, and there are plenty of places to camp. If there is any disadvantage it's a backpacking location.

There are also other nearby alternatives....car camp at Hobuck beach, the disadvantage is it is 20 bucks a night to camp. But there is a heated bathroom with flushing toilets and a hot shower....It will be crowded there. The Surfrider foundation sets up camp there. They will be serving burgers on Saturday for free. There are plenty of places to hang at Hobuck. Its one of very few camp grounds i don't mind paying for.

The tribal center will be offering it's grounds free for camping....except there is no place to hang.
    In the end i all for what attracts the most folks. It's a get together....but it is also a work party too. Many hand make light work.

I'm no stranger for trash hauls.
    http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewt...ghlight=isabel

http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewt...201&highlight=

http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewt...379&highlight=

http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewt...818&highlight=

http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewt...782&highlight=

http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewt...871&highlight=

I also volunteer to do trail maintenance for the WTA. In my opinion picking up is far far less difficult than hauling backpacking gear, a Pulaski, Hoe, rock bar up a mountian side. Or manning the ol' misery whip. Just not as "glamorous".

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    diy Mac Cat
    Insulation
    down uq
    Suspension
    SLS mule tape
    WOW! Your reputation doesn't precede you so well as it probably should. Good work out there! I don't understand why they abandoned a perfectly good tent. That confused me, throwing money away, and ruining the surrounding nature at the same time, jerks.

I'm good for a base camp at Shi Shi. Not a huge fan of crowded campgrounds and I know those bathrooms aren't gonna be worth it. But I will make due anywhere.

There is a pretty decent campsite about a mile down (I think south) maybe 1.5 miles from the little bluff you come down. Had you thought about whether you wanted to hike to a base camp and pick up trash around camp/beach, then pick up all along the way back too? Or camp centrally and day hike either direction to get trash?

...getting excited for this.
    You don't sleep on the ground at home, why would you expect me to out here?

From the point where you come down the bluff to the beach it's pretty rugged. Not sure how far north ya can go. There is a few camp sites right at the "end" of the trail there. Probably a good spot to base camp. Then beach comb to the south towards Point of the Arches. Although it would take a really big group to clean all the way to the Arches.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Mamajamba Silnylon
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps
    Bump/Reminder

We're two weeks away everyone. Shall we get an updated body count, and/or things that we'll need/want.

Also, how about some road markers for those of us who are going to be out in the middle of nowhere and not know where we are? do we know if there is cell phone reception out there?

Thanks for beating me to the reminder.

T mobil does not have coverage out there. Once i head out of Port Angeles i loose reception.
    My guess is either Verizon or At&T might work out there.

I might be moving a little slow, i did a back flop down the stairs a couple of weeks ago. Cracked a rib. It's healing pretty fast...won't be 100% by then.

Bump. Don't forget it's next week.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    diy Mac Cat
    Insulation
    down uq
    Suspension
    SLS mule tape
    I'm still in. I'll be bringing a friend. Any one else passing through the Bellevue/Seattle area? Also, I have verizon.
    You don't sleep on the ground at home, why would you expect me to out here?

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Mamajamba Silnylon
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps
    Ok, so one week away, let's get it all organized/figured out/clarified.

Is this only for the night of the 23rd (Saturday) correct? Was any one planning on doing it more than one night?

How many people are going to be coming (Hulk, MaxM, MaxM's friend so far have confirmed). Tonejones & creativeKayt, are you two still in? Anyone else planning on coming?

Hulk, is there any kind of marker we should look for on Shi Shi Beach Road for where to park or where to go? Or could you throw up some kind of marker for us to find out way?
    If not, maybe we should PM some phone numbers around so some people can contact each other when we arrive.

Also, when are people planning on being there? Are people camping Friday night for beach clean up first thing Saturday, or are people showing up early Saturday for clean up on Saturday and Sunday? Should we bring our own garbage sacks to help with cleanup?

Sorry to ask so much, but figured we should try to figure out as much as possible before we were stranded on a road, unsure of where to go.
    At this point, I am planning on driving/ferry to Kingston on Friday night to stay at families' house and driving on Saturday morning to Shi Shi Beach. If anyone wants to just ride the Ferry from Edmonds, I can pick them up Saturday morning at the ferry dock in Kingston and drive from there.

There are three more for sure from Nwhikers, two maybee's.

So Shi Shi is pretty easy to find. Find the Hobuck beach resort signs, and drive past the resort. Shi Shi is a five or six miles past Hobuck beach.
    Additionally there will already be Coast Saver signs posted, lots of them.

Here's a map i threw together.
    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...947fdf728ff563

I plan on hitting the Edmonds Kingston Ferry Friday morning, and hiking in to Shi Shi on Friday after noon. It's a long *** drive to Neah bay. So i will be camping Friday, Saturday, and leaving Sunday.
    The Official coast saver clean up is on Saturday. However, the dumpsters are there for the entire weekend and clean up can and does before and after Saturday.
    Normally overnight parking is not allowed at Shi Shi trail head. But will be allowed for clean up volunteers with a special permit available only at the Makaha Tribal center. Other wise it's pay parking a half mile north of the trail head.

As for bring your own garbage bags. Yes you can. Generally they get handed out by volunteers, but those will only be available at Hobuck beach. I plan to bring a box of trash bags. If you bring trash bags...don't go with the cheep ones. The only bags that will survive a trip from the beach to the trail head are heavy duty contractor type.

Hammock
    Ask me tomorrow
    Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images
    Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it. I have to travel down to my folks to help out for a couple weeks. Have fun at this great event!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast