Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Sht 4/22 - 4/24

I'm hittin' the SHT this Friday for two maybe three nights. Any MN hangers specifically Northern MN folks know what the conditions are like? I expect there is still too much snow inland to make it worthwhile so I'm leaning towards areas closer to the lake. May have to settle for state parks like Split Rock etc. where snow won't be a factor. I really don't want to trudge through snow and be slipping on ice and don't feel like snowshoeing. Got the old snowshoes packed in the closet until next winter. Of course if anyone feels adventurous and wants to join me feel free. Not looking to do a lot of mileage...just need to get out of the city for a few days to unwind.
    Last edited by pizza; 04-19-2011 at 15:13.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird, WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge and Down
    Suspension
    Straps and Buckles
    According to what I've read on the Yahoo Groups site for the trail and on the trail website, conditions are not favorable right now. I really like the Yahoo group for the trail. It's the only thing I use Yahoo for anymore.

We're supposed to get another 2-4 inches or so of snow this week and maybe some rain. Good luck! I hope the trail treats you well.
    If your lucky enough to be outdoors, your lucky enough!

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images

Sht

I'd maybe wait a bit, even the areas closer in to the lake are pretty nasty right now. Still a solid layer of snow on the trail in most areas. Other areas that are thawing a bit are almost inpassable with muck, mud, runoff etc. If you really want to get out by all means go for it but I'd add in some extra travel time.

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    I'd maybe wait a bit, even the areas closer in to the lake are pretty nasty right now. Still a solid layer of snow on the trail in most areas. Other areas that are thawing a bit are almost inpassable with muck, mud, runoff etc. If you really want to get out by all means go for it but I'd add in some extra travel time.
    Yeah, I already have time off work so plan B is on the table now. I may just do Split Rock State Park one night and Jay Cooke again instead of the SHT. Looks like the first time this spring on the SHT will be Memorial Day for me. It'll probably take that long to dry out anyway.
    Last edited by pizza; 04-19-2011 at 15:19.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I would love to get out and join you pizza.....but alas.....Easter duties!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    exped scout combi
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    polarpod
    One month plus till the northern hang. Man it's hard to wait. I'd be out there now cept for the " honey do list " Git er done, and I can go)
    " Wiggs "

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    I live fairly close to the newest section of the SHT and decided to take a quick romp with the dog up to the campsite and back. Nice couple of hours, snapped off a couple of shots of the trail right now. Was only about 3 miles but not terrible, a little slick in places.

sht1.jpgsht2.jpgsht3.jpgsht4.jpg

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    I live fairly close to the newest section of the SHT and decided to take a quick romp with the dog up to the campsite and back. Nice couple of hours, snapped off a couple of shots of the trail right now. Was only about 3 miles but not terrible, a little slick in places.

sht1.jpgsht2.jpgsht3.jpgsht4.jpg
    Thanks for the photos!

Hammock
    Hennesey Expedition Asym Classic
    Tarp
    6x8 silnylon
    Insulation
    3 Season CrowsNest
    Hey Pizza,
    I was just out in my backyard tonight in Finland. Not the SHT but the north facing slopes just north of the SHT. Started out in the lower places and there is some mud. Not too bad as the ground is still frozen. Anywhere the ground levels out there could be mud, but mostly frozen ground. The last mile I walked was ankle deep snow. Shaded on the north facing slope. Water is running so expect wet areas. Knee deep snow is pretty much gone although there could be areas in Tettegouche or on the Cove Point Loop. I've done those in the spring and they were unusual. You're an early riser so the trails should be frozen.

Have fun. I wish I was there. Alas I've things to do.

PS I've read what everyone else saying and I don't think it's as bad as that. Go for it, it's going to be a great weekend. Go early, go when it's still frozen and have a the time of your life.
    Last edited by Northman; 04-19-2011 at 22:36.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird, WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge and Down
    Suspension
    Straps and Buckles
    No new snow on the way after all and not supposed to rain until Monday. Don't know if that helps you out at all, but I thought I'd throw it out there since it's different than the forecast from this AM.
    If your lucky enough to be outdoors, your lucky enough!

• + New Posts