Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images

Considering a Black Bird

Well, I currently have a Skeeter Beeter Pro, and I can't say I have any problems with it, but I have never used another hammock. I have read really good things about the Black Bird, and my daughter has asked me to get her a hammock, so I thought I might pass down the SB and purchase myself a Black Bird. Not to mention a little tax refund money on the way. So, has anyone made the swap from the Skeeter Beeter to the Black Bird? Have you experienced a more comfortable hang in the Black Bird? Overall comparison? I would be looking at the 1.7 double, since I am 290 pounds and 6'4" tall.

I am curious about any opinions on this decision, one way or the other.
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aboyd View Post
    Well, I currently have a Skeeter Beeter Pro, and I can't say I have any problems with it, but I have never used another hammock. I have read really good things about the Black Bird, and my daughter has asked me to get her a hammock, so I thought I might pass down the SB and purchase myself a Black Bird. Not to mention a little tax refund money on the way. So, has anyone made the swap from the Skeeter Beeter to the Black Bird? Have you experienced a more comfortable hang in the Black Bird? Overall comparison? I would be looking at the 1.7 double, since I am 290 pounds and 6'4" tall.

I am curious about any opinions on this decision, one way or the other.
    Own only one hammock? The concept is foreign to me...

So. I have had a SBP. I think for the $$ it is a bargain, you get a huge hammock with a bugnet for something like $60-$70. I was curious about it, hung a few times in it, put in an interior ridgeline, and traded with one of the HF moderators for another hammock style I was curious about. I didn't like the SBP bug net design, way more than needed for my tastes.

The craftsmanship of the Blackbird is markedly superior. I had to be gentle with the SBP, I think I fortified a seam that looked sketchy. The BB also is roomy, but it achieves the diagonal with less fabric because of the much vaulted footbox. Like all of the Grand Trunk hammocks, when you're on a good diagonal you have a towering wall of fabric near one shoulder, one of the brilliant design features of the BB is how it pulls all of that down with the tie-outs and makes a useable shelf of it.

I find the BB to be a bit more comfortable. Parachute nylon stretches quite a bit, more so than ripstop nylon I think, so the BB is flatter---especially if you go with a double. I find the lower walls "more comfortable" in a way, perhaps only psychic.

So right now I have 0 SBPs and, lemme see, 1,2, yep, 3 various BBs. And an Eldorado.

Own only one BB? The concept is foreign to me...
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

never had a SBP however, I did pick up a Warbonnet Traveler recently though. It's not he standardwhich has all the fixin's like the bulit in bug netting and what have you, this only has the suspension and ridgeline.. but lemme tell you, I was genuinely surprised when I got a good look at it. The stitching was fantastic, really like the doublelayer, feels very sturdy, the suspension (webbing) in remarkably easy to use and infinitely more adjustable than my eno suspension. I LOVE my ENO dbl, but I think the traveler might be my new go to hammock. I don't think youcango wrong, even ifyou just get the traveler, it's better than most 75 dollar hammocks I've seen so far.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Tell us how you sleep. We could give you more personal advice.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    I too only own one hammock but just this past weekend at the NJ hang, I tried a WBBB do. Oh my was it good. Believe everything you hear and read about the WBBB. It will be the next hammock I buy.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Tell us how you sleep. We could give you more personal advice.
    I sleep on my back, try to get as flat as I can in the SBP. Is that what you were asking?
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    Thanks for the opinions, I am think the WBBB double is the way I am going. So far I have not read anything bad.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    My first hammock was a SBPro and I quickly upgraded to a WBBB. I've found the WBBB to be the SBPro's superior in every way!

Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    3 Season Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I'm about the same size as you, and I really like my WBBB. I've got the 1.7 double, and have probably slept in it about 7 or 8 times since I got it last summer (so I'm no expert). The only minor issue I've had is that I can't get quite flat enough to take pressure off my knees (it's not bad, but it is noticable). I solved this on the last trip by putting a small pillow under them and was much more comfortable.

I highly recommend it WBBB. I've really enjoyed it so far, and look forward to getting it out again in a couple of weeks. As a side note, I liked it enought that I bought one for my son recently but he's not had a chance to use it yet.

Hammock
    Gnome 1.5sl, WBBB 1.1dl
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies

Skeeter vs BB

I too started with the skeeter since it was cost effective and I didn't wish too invest too much until I knew it was right for me. Once I realized how much better this was compared to the tenting method, I also went with the blackbird based on all the info available here on HF. Like Grizz, I now own three birds and a traveler and can honestly say it was the right path to take. Of all the possible choices out there, I would go with the blackbird. You may never purchase another hammock, at least not out of neccessity lol...Bush

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast