Hammock
    Blackbird
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Pad Question (Redundant I'm sure)

Hello,

Just received my warbonnet BB and did a basement hang. I quickly realized the dreaded butt freeze (the basement gets to about 55F at night).

So, I'm looking for a pad (eventually looking to get an UQ, in due time). What thickness do you all recommend as a good 3 season pad. Temps ranging from 65F down to 25F-30F. Is there such a pad?

I'm thinking of going with the 3/8 minicell recommended on the warbonnet site although I'm open to suggestions from all of you experienced folks.

For details, I tend to be a side sleeper, slightly cold sleeper and am concerned with weight. I really like a lite pack!

Thanks for this one and all of the great info on this site. I love geekin out on gear!!!!

Jason

There are people on here who regularly go into the 30's with a blue CCF pad from Walmart.. some augment it with a space blanket but for weight and warmth youcan't go wrong.. it might not be themost comfortable and you'd probably want a wide pad if you sleep fetal (like the exped 9 downmat) but that'll considerably add to weight. Hope this helped. There's actually a great review of the exped9 recently posted by our new Norwegian friend

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Chinook 9.6x9.6
    Insulation
    AH New River UQ
    Suspension
    Came with the BB
    Images
    I'm happy with the Blue CCF pad from Wall Mart, that's all I got.
    I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. - E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    none yet
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Veto 65 View Post
    I'm happy with the Blue CCF pad from Wall Mart, that's all I got.
    Is the CCF the yoga mat? or is it found with the camping gear?

I will actually have to check 'helpful hammock article' and figure out what CCF is. Yep once again I fess up to being a noob.
    I'm a navy vet... I've never experienced as many acronyms as there are on this site! or IANV... INEAMAATAOTS!

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Like many around here, I went right from 3/8" CCF sourced from a MegaMart to an UQ. It's tough to predict what temperature this will take you down to comfortably, I mean with my 15 bag alone (no UQ no pad) I can go down to about 40F but I'm the exception to the rule there. Some Minicell like this stuff might work well enough to justify the additional expense (over MegaMart foam), after all it's wider and you can shape it how you like. Probably a better "R Value" than the cheap blue pad but I can't say for sure.

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by grok View Post
    Is the CCF the yoga mat? or is it found with the camping gear?

I will actually have to check 'helpful hammock article' and figure out what CCF is. Yep once again I fess up to being a noob.
    I'm a navy vet... I've never experienced as many acronyms as there are on this site! or IANV... INEAMAATAOTS!
    Closed-Cell-Foam. Most folks when referring to "Blue CCF Pads" are talking about 3/8" foam camping pads usually sold at Wal-mart and such for around $10. The yoga mats are generally denser... both heavier and not as good for insulation as the camping type, IMO.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    none yet
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Festus Hagen View Post
    Closed-Cell-Foam. Most folks when referring to "Blue CCF Pads" are talking about 3/8" foam camping pads usually sold at Wal-mart and such for around $10. The yoga mats are generally denser... both heavier and not as good for insulation as the camping type, IMO.
    Thank you so much If Ignorance is bliss I'm in heaven.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I use the 24" wide Wally World pad. Sells for about $12 and weights 15oz

Have use it to 18 degrees.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Oware pad (similar to GG); 40 X 60 X ¼" (newer ones are 3/16"), 7oz, was good to low 20's with my system (key word). Last time I looked it was $24.

FB
    Last edited by Fiddleback; 02-02-2011 at 13:16. Reason: corrected thickness measurements necessitated by mind fart

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I tried two Warrymart (Walmart) bru pads and then two Big Agness Primaloft inflators. It was a good attempt that drove me to scratch up enough cash to get a real UQ asap. I ain't lookin' back...

Might look to the one Gunner has though since it is wider and more flexible than the ones I got.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast