Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

OES Micro Vs. WB Diamond Asym

I'm ordering a WBBB 1.0 Double layer hammock and using a Leighs summer under quilt to replace my Hennessey and Thermarest combo. Now I have camped in Thailands jungles for a couple years using the HH tarp and it is smal,l however I was able to make it work.

As weight and packability are things that are of interest to me I'm looking at either of the OES Micro or the WB Diamond Asym to be my tarp. What are peoples opinions of these two tarps?? I have to weather the monsoon season but luckily the jungle keeps the rains from coming in too sideways hence my desire to stay with a smaller tarp. Plus during the warmer months the smaller tarp for added breeze and ventilation is a benefit.

Looking at the one picture on the OES site of the Micro it looked huge. Here's the pic from the OES site:

Does anybody know if this is indeed the Micro tarp and not the Standard?? It simply looks quite large for such a minimal tarp and wondering if Brian made a mistake on labeling the pics.

Now here is a long shot.......................does anyone have pics of these two tarps to compare the coverage?? I have only seen this one pic of the Micro, can anyone direct me to other pics of the Micro with a hammock underneath?

Since I'm relatively new to this hammocking stuff if I'm overlooking another tarp option please let me know. Also if you have anything to add regarding my thought processes on choosing tarps don't be bashful.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by team FTB; 02-01-2011 at 13:12.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    One thing to consider is that one of the reasons a minimalist tarp works well with the hennessey is because you enter through the bottom of the hammock, so you can keep the tarp VERY close to the hammock's ridgeline. In the warbonnet, where you enter from the top, you will potentially be hitting your back on the tarp, getting it wet, when you climb into the hammock. Just something to keep in mind.

Images
    i think cannibal has both

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    i think cannibal has both
    What kind of idiot needs both of these tarps? Oh yeah, this one.

Hard to tell for sure because you never know what the camera's angles are doing to the picture, but that sure looks like a Standard sized tarp in the picture. I've had the WB Diamond for a couple of months now, probably had it up a dozen times. The MacCat Micro (in Spinn BABY!) just came into my possession last week. I've set it up a few times, but only slept under it once and it was a night that no tarp was really needed.

If it's only coverage that is driving your decision, I'd have to tip to the WB Diamond. I haven't endured any storms, or even rain, with either tarp, but the WB seems to provide more coverage just eyeballin it. It really shouldn't be compared to the HH diaper because it is longer and the points seem to offer a much bigger footprint. I keep meaning to lay out the WB Diamond and put one of my HH tarps over top of it to actually see the difference; just haven't done it yet. There is actually a lot of coverage out of that Diamond tarp, surprisingly so.

However, my issue with the WB Diamond is the lack of a ridge seam. I don't care for using a ridgeline with my tarps, but without one the Diamond gets a little floppy. The MacCat Micro takes the show in this regard. I can pitch that thing tight enough that Neil Pert would enjoy camping with me. Neil, if you're reading this PLEEEEEEASE come camp with me. The Micro is a fantastic tarp for a hiker that wants to be light and quick and I'm sure it will keep me dry this summer, but it will probably take more concentration during set-up than the WB Diamond because the margin for error is going to be very small.

Coverage - WB Diamond
    Tight pitch w/out ridgeline - MacCat Micro

I may be making a tarp this Spring to fix my issue with the WB Diamond. Thinking about a cuben tarp using the same pattern, but using two pieces so that I can create a ridge seam. Should be magnificently lightweight and pitch perfectly....that's what I'm telling myself, anyway.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    BIAS 11 ft; Grand Trunk Nano 7
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    Down bag/cc pad
    Suspension
    whoopies

does neil Pert hammock camp?

I can pitch that thing tight enough that Neil Pert would enjoy camping with me. Neil, if you're reading this PLEEEEEEASE come camp with me.

What does Neil Pert, the world's greatest drummer, other than Charlie Watts, have to do with hammock tarps?

Thanks heaps for the detailed reply Hannibal, it really shines some light on the coverage issue that I am trying to address. Also thanks for the the insight regarding tarps for the WBBB mustardman.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    anyone have pics of the OES Micro over a WBBB ..... i would love to see how well it covers it
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    The OP might be right about this picture not being a micro. I thought the micro didn't have a sewn ridgeline and the one in the picture does.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    yeah i figured that.... but i would love to see how one looks over a WBBB

i'm still in the air Dutch on what i'm going to do for a tarp in nice weather

i'm either going to get a WB Diamond Asym , OES Micro ... or DIY

i like the micro and the WBDA ... i kinda like the Micro more... but i want to see how it looks over the WBBB
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlespaul View Post

i'm still in the air Dutch on what i'm going to do for a tarp in nice weather
    I'm telling you GLP, I love my Spinn Standard
    It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast