Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    Feathers
    Suspension
    Cinch & Webbing
    Images

Monster Lizzard Wreaks Havoc!

“Monster Lizzard wreaks havoc in the Great Lakes region of Southern Ontario!” Homage to the classic WKRP clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wML2V6crNc0 but the “Blizard” wasn’t bad enough to earn the “B” anyway, it was a good one but the local media really hyping it and got my hopes up, I was expecting worse (or better depending on how you look at it). Rushing home from work yesterday, I setup for a “last minute” overnight hang in the back yard.

Now in the tail end of the Storm, it dropped about 25cm/10” of snow with wind gusts between 30 and 50km. The temperature at 1:30am was -11c/12.2f with a Wind-chill of -23c/-9.4f.

My setup consisted of a DIY BB Clone, -40 goose down barrel sleeping bag (Inner/Outer,double bag), unzipped and used a top quilt, full-length CCF pad, Winter Incubator and M.E.C Sil Guide Tarp. At the beginning of the night I wore a base and mid layer with Marino wool socks, Balaclava and “Uncle Bucks” hat, earflaps and all. Definitely didn’t have any problems with cold spots, in fact I was over heating and had to strip the mid layer, socks and Hat. Next hang at this temp, I will ether lose the outer down bag and/or the CCF. I underestimated the Winter Incubator; it didn’t need CCF assistance to keep my assets cozy!

As for tarp setup in a decent snowfall, I have questions! I always looked at pullouts as a means to give you more room inside the tarp so I never bothered with them. The heavy snowfall presented a problem I’ve not encountered before, the snow continusly slides down the tarps horizontal plain, building at the base, putting a lot of weight on the tarp, forcing the walls down and in. If you use pull-outs to give the snow a midpoint vertical drop (so it piles more on itself then the tarp bottom) is it effective or is on-going maintenance (up every couple of hours with the shovel) mandatory when dealing with Lizards?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
    My Photos My Videos

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yeah!
    Looks like you addd lifters to your UQ .... sure keeps 'em snug.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    R-III
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    Feathers
    Suspension
    Cinch & Webbing
    Images
    The lifters made a tremendous difference and I think that’s why I can eliminate the full length CCF Pad, it addresses the air pocket that occurs from the butt to the calves, kind of like using suspenders on trousers. The shock cord is rigged so all adjustments can be made from the front in a laying position.

"I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
    My Photos My Videos

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    nifty! may I copy?

Hammock
    R-III
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    Feathers
    Suspension
    Cinch & Webbing
    Images
    3 short lengths of shock cord and a cord lock, I made sure the midway loop in the front cord was big enough to slide over the cord lock so you don’t need to untie anything to take the UQ off. I thought about using mitten clips instead of bowline knots so you could easily switch which loops you’re using on the incubator, even with them, it should still be a less then $5 solution.
    My Photos My Videos

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Nice backyard hang. Your DIY gear looks great! The storm did end up as bad as projected here in London as well but we have gotten a lot of snow over the past couple of months.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    have to watch out for them Monster Snow Lizzards
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts