Hammock
    ENO

First Time Hanger & Need Some Advice

I will be hiking from Springer Mountain to Dicks Creek Gap on the A.T. in May. This is going to be my first hike, but I'm excited to have some awesome spots to hang.

I have a ENO Double Nest, looking into purchasing a MacCat Deluxe as my tarp. My dilemma is what do in terms of sleeping bag, pad, and an under quilt. I'm going to purchase a pad in case I have go to ground at any time. What are everybody's thoughts on a quality 3-season sleeping bag and under quilt. Or is an under quilt necessary for a May hike? I want my purchases to be versatile for what that's worth.

Any and all information and advice is appreciated! Thanks

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    OES
    Insulation
    YETI & JRB quilts
    Suspension
    straps and buckle.
    Greetings, you will want some type of bottom insulation , that being said the pad will work but an underquilt will be more comfortable. You will most likely end up with a top quilt down the road if your like most but if you already have a sleeping bag that will work too. Happy hangin....chilly

Hammock
    Clark NA200
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 DLX/7 UL
    Suspension
    Stock Clark
    I havent tried an underquilt yet but I have been very happy with my exped mat. It is very comfortable for me and the large size of it helps spread the hammock sides out so I dont need any extenders for my shoulders. That being said, it is heavier than most people want to carry on a long distance hike but man is it warm and comfy.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hey there ....you will need something under you and a pad is just fine.
    I did a video series for the new hanger ... may answer some stuff for you if you want to take a looky-see. Hammock Stuff for the Noob
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    I haven't ever carried a pad in that area because there's plenty of trees to hang from. May will still be cool at night, you will need some kind of insulation under you.
    An under quilt is easier to pack, usually lighter and way easier to deal with under the hammock and a pad is inside the hammock.
    You will need to figure out your insulation "before" you get to Springer, you will need to test out your gear before you leave for your trip.
    If you're set on using a sleeping bag, look for one that unzips all the way to your feet so you can open it up and use it like a quilt. Any attempt at actually getting into the bag will result in the down under you being squashed flat and then it's not doing it's job as an insulator. Much better to keep it just on top of you and fluffed up.
    What kind of temps are you used to in Miss.?? I've found that for me, because I'm more used to warm weather, that it needs to be quite warm for me to not need under insulation. Last year, when daytime temps hit 110 and nights didn't go below 80, was the first time I didn't have to have anything under me!!! You will need to know if you're a cold sleeper (meaning that you tend to sleep colder than the average person) or a hot sleeper (you sleep warmer). That will make a difference in your clothes choices and how much insulation you'll need.
    Do you already have any camping gear?? I'm wondering because you stated you would be buying a mat/pad. If you're not used to going camping at all, you really will need to do some test hikes/trips before you head out to the AT. Also your reference to this being your first hike!!?? Please, for your own safety, do a few test hikes before you leave for this trip just so you know that the gear you'll have with you, will be what you need.

TinaLouise

Hammock
    ENO
    Thanks for the comments, very very helpful. Any more thoughts are welcomed!

TinaLouise: I have four hikes planned ranging between 7 and 11 miles before May. I've got experience with hiking due to being an Eagle Scout and other experiences. I'm taking significant steps toward being prepared. Thanks for your advice, it is certainly noted and will be useful for sure.

• + New Posts