Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    undecided
    Insulation
    JRB snivellers

Late night excursions?????

Or rather, the lack there of..... I've read here that some like to avoid that frantic trip through the dark to empty the blatter in the middle of the night..... but not really explaining the mechanics of it. Kind of an awkward time if close to other campers. Do I carry a flashlight and advertise what I am doing? Or should I risk stepping on a sharp rock or stumbling over a stick in the dark? I'm having a hard time imagining getting vertical enough to trust that gravity will overpower all other possible miscalculations so I can refill a plastic bottle from within the hammock by emptying my bladder. What about "very cold" camping where you have several layers of clothing as well as bags and/or overquilts, overcovers, tarps.....? As we get older we might have several "calls to duty" in one night. What are the tips or tricks to bladder relief in the middle of the night???

Hammock
    DH Sparrow, Darian
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Condom Catheter

You could always try a condom catheter.

In your browser, on the left holding this pose in real-time, for your amusement
    Hammock
    WBBBH (summer) and WBTH (3 season)
    Tarp
    Not blown away yet
    Insulation
    UQ Connoisseur
    Suspension
    Fig-9's no huggers
    Images
    Large opening for worry free accuracy.
    rollable for low bulk storage when not in use.
    can handle boiling water to maintain sanitation.
    Worth its weight in gold in the bitter cold.

http://www.rei.com/product/670588

Have used this for several years. Will leave explanation
    of the "how to" to someone more poetic.
    Webhost: www.ehko.info

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I like getting out to do it ....have seen some of the most interesting sky while doing it. Also the moon.
    Feels so good getting back in. That is just me.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    I get out of the hammock. Usually have a couple options.
    IF it's snowing or raining I use a widemouth nalgene under the tarp.
    If it's a nice nite I take a short walk with my head lamp.

You might also try not hang so close to others if you think it would bother them.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    KA Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    Tnx for the posts. Thats one of the things a (old, kidney problem) newbie needs to know but is too embarassed to ask!

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    Quote Originally Posted by A J View Post
    Do I carry a flashlight and advertise what I am doing? Or should I risk stepping on a sharp rock or stumbling over a stick in the dark? ???
    My nieghbour took a night stroll with out a light
    and ended up with a big rock on his legs for a couple of days.

He is now the only double above the knee amputee
    to climb mt kilimanjaro

He found out that a dark stroll for relief is not as simple as all that . . .

I know I have post this before . . . but . . .

http://www.warren-macdonald.com/
    Last edited by Bradley; 02-03-2011 at 01:10.
    Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    being female, I don't have some of those "creative" inside the hammock options that you guys do. So I get up. I'll use a headlamp to light my way as I sure don't want to walk off the side of a clift or into a stream. Then when the perfect (or I just can't wait any longer) place is found, I turn out the light. My flat out worst experience was one night (thank God it wasn't raining but it was about 20 degrees) when I woke up because my lower belly was screaming at me. I guess I'd eaten something that didn't agree with me and it was time to get it out!! Anyways, that night was the longest walk away from my camp site I've ever done, due to me wanting to get as far away from everyone else as I could. I think by the time I got back to my hammock, I had a mild case of hyperthermia. My whole body was shaking and I couldn't stop. I was really happy to get back inside my down quilts.

TinaLouise

Images
    AJ... what to do depends on the situation.

I like a gator aide bottle for the pee bottle I use while in the hammock. What to do with that depends on the hammock you use and what is around you. If your hammock is fairly enclosed you have more incentive to store it than in a hammock that is open on both sides where you can use the down hill side to dump it and get in & out the uphill side. You will figure all that out.

In cold weather there is heat loss to consider when deciding on whether to use a pee bottle while inside your hammock versus getting up. Usually we dress down when getting in the hammock to sleep so during the cold part of the evening we cool down quick if we get up. It is much harder to reheat after losing body heat than it is to just maintain our body heat so that is a big consideration if you are in cold conditions... if you cool off too much you might have problems getting warm enough again. When you insulation is marginal for the conditions you are in, that can easily happen. (Remember that exercise like jumping up and down, alternately flexing muscles repeatedly while stationary or whatever and food can warm you rapidly when you are in that condition.)

If you get up, you best have made a plan on how far you are going and just where that is so you can find your way back. How many people are around, what the group rules are, and how bright of a light you have all play into that. Over the years I have gone to a brighter and more flexible headlamp because of the issue of getting disoriented at night or needing to see my way around for whatever reason. The size and weight of newer LED lights is amazing. I have one that uses 2-AAA batteries that has variable power (up to 170 lumens, I think) and variable focus that goes from proximity lighting to very close to a spot light. I like it! Being a light weight hiker I use to only carry a very small proximity light but after being out with buddies where we had to hike a bit as it got dark, I changed that as I could see (or not see) the problem with that philosophy when things didn't work out as planned... sometimes you might have to find your way around in the dark and you can't always pick when those times are.

I still carry the small proximity light as a backup and would recommend doing that because if for some reason your main light goes out, you need some light to deal with that. I still keep that light on a cord which I wear around my neck in the evenings like a necklace so I always have access to it.
    Last edited by Youngblood; 02-03-2011 at 08:14.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    WBBB; WBRR; WBXLC;HH Exped
    Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TinaLouise View Post
    being female, I don't have some of those "creative" inside the hammock options that you guys do.

TinaLouise
    ===> Well, you DO have a couple! "FUDs" (Feminine urinary devices - Google them!) allow for a pretty good seal, and stream direction. With a minor amount of fussing, and a good FUD, I imagine that a wide-mouthed 32 oz Gatorade bottle could be used in the hammock by a woman with success. The several types of FUDs run the gamut from slicone, to plastic. Easy to use through layers of clothing, especially when standing.

I also like that the bottle functions for some added warmth once filled!
    Live Purposefully; Dare Greatly; Land Gently

If you're going to do something wrong, go for it! - Beryl G.

"Never knock on Death's door - just ring the bell and run. He hates that!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast