DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Since I don't have my rings yet I am just guessing here.

I think you have a valid point on the "bunching" of the webbing. More of the fibers bear the load if it is nice and flat, instead of bunched up like a knot. Okay, that makes sense to me now I think.

But it slips and you still gotta use a knot, even though the knot doesn't hold the lions share of the load. I guess if it slipped enough it would, then your back to relying on the knot, mostly anyway.

I have never seen a knot breaking strength comparison chart for webbing, just rope. And IIRC the slip knot wasn't one of the knots tested, but I will need to find the link to know for sure, I think it was eight knots.

However, using 1000 lb breaking strength webbing, with, a bowline in it (70% breaking strength I think) we still have around 700 lb SWL, of course this is for rope not webbing, but like I said, I lack the data.

So all things considered, to me, a knot is simpler and lighter, but not as quick. Even tho the braking strength "may" be lower than the buckle system, it is still within my weight limits; I haven't had a failure yet and I have been using knots all along.

Geez, how hard can it be to suspend a friggin' hammock? I should've had those rings shipped priority instead of standard...
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Knot breaking strength comparison chart

Like I said, no webbing, but good info.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    just for clarification, the ring buckles & the cinch buckle are two different things.

the cinch buckle http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...4/DSC_3466.JPG
    doesn't seem to need a back up knot to prevent slipping. my only concern w/ the cinch buckle was that it put all the force involved in one sharp bend, over a very small surface.
    as long as the webbing is strong enough, that probably isn't much of a concern though.

i felt that the ring buckles carried the load over a some what larger, more round surface. but there is also (sometimes) not enough resistance to prevent slipping, giving need for the slip knot, which is really serving more as a "stop knot".

i think both of the buckles just make it easier & quicker (less hassle) to readjust the hammock, as in centering between two trees, adjusting sag & height, etc.

also, a big plus for me is having the buckles just a few inches from each end of the hammock, therefore if it's raining i can make adjustments to the hammock from under the tarp, whether it's in the initial set up, or later on i see a need to make an adjustment (after i've taken my wet rain gear off<g>).

to me it's not that i want to impress someone (or have a race<g>) w/ my set up time (although it's nice when ground dwellers see how easy it was to get things just right<g>), but i just enjoy the convenience of the quick set up & adjustments. that way i can move on to something else, like getting water, starting supper, or just relaxing in my hammock<g>.

i'm sure open to simpler methods that involve less complication of extra parts, but w/ this system if for some reason a buckle fails, i still have the webbing & i can go back to the four warp method.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Homemade 1.9oz
    Tarp
    Homemade cuben
    Insulation
    Homemade synthetic
    Suspension
    Strap-biner-buckle
    Images
    I've been playing with both rings and cinch buckles the last week or so, although I've only been able to do backyard testing so far.

I haven't had rings slip yet. What I do is put a bight of webbing through on the last step. Gives the rings a bit more to bite on and makes take-down and adjustment even easier. It also means you don't have to feed the whole length of webbing through if your trees are close and small. What I don't like about the rings is that you have to be aware of how you're tightening to be sure the webbing stays in line.

I just got my cinch buckles last night and put them on my hammock. They're cool. You can still feed a bight through on the last step for easier take-down, but it doesn't seem at all necessary for security.

The difference in a pair of cinch buckles and four rings (two on each end) is 10g on my digital kitchen scale.

I'm still not totally convinced of full webbing instead of huggers/line because of the weight and bulk, but I do like the security and durability.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    JRB 10X11, MacCat
    Insulation
    Snugfit, 2 JRBs
    Images
    I pull the webbing to where I want them through the ring buckles and just tie a slip knot...almost without thinking...every time. It is so simple and easy to do. I've never slipped...ever.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis &amp; Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    The only time I forget the slip knot is when I'm lecturing someone about how important they are to tie. You can ask HF member furtigan about that one!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Okay, I got my rings. The3y came in on Fri. but I have been out fishing all weekend. So I am going to try them out.

Okay, so I will try a slip knot next time I hang the hammock.

Other than that I notice my HH Exped. always loosens very... very easy with the ring buckle system. Example: I will hang the hammock 5 feet up! after tightening with the ring buckles and then once I sit down I sink to a foot from the ground. I know I will always sink down a certain ways, but the last time this happened I readjusted the ring buckles like 7 times and tried a whole bunch of knots and I still ended up a foot from the ground.

If the slip will stop this then problem solved, but I swear I made a knot where it was impossible to slip. Another hammock camper just says my HH naturally sags down a lot, I don't know about that. My webbing is also polypro and I was given it from a friend since I didn't have any webbing at all. I think it is only rated to 800 pounds... 800 or 1500, but I think it's 800.

It works for now so yeah. Slipknot please work, please oh please.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aceatc View Post
    Okay, so I will try a slip knot next time I hang the hammock.

Other than that I notice my HH Exped. always loosens very... very easy with the ring buckle system. Example: I will hang the hammock 5 feet up! after tightening with the ring buckles and then once I sit down I sink to a foot from the ground. I know I will always sink down a certain ways, but the last time this happened I readjusted the ring buckles like 7 times and tried a whole bunch of knots and I still ended up a foot from the ground.

If the slip will stop this then problem solved, but I swear I made a knot where it was impossible to slip. Another hammock camper just says my HH naturally sags down a lot, I don't know about that. My webbing is also polypro and I was given it from a friend since I didn't have any webbing at all. I think it is only rated to 800 pounds... 800 or 1500, but I think it's 800.

It works for now so yeah. Slipknot please work, please oh please.
    How far apart are the trees your hanging from? I always had a fair amount of
    sagging when I used a Hennessy. I prefer the cinch buckles but it was probably not the rings causing it if you had a good knot on them.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    So far I like the ring buckles. It is faster to hang. I double (use a bight) the webbing where it goes through the rings and have no problem with it slipping yet. I may hafta ditch the four wrap knot, the next hike will tell.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast