Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hanging Big Cypress

Any suggestions for hiking/hanging Big Cypress?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...
    "Every generation laughs at the old fashions, but follows religiously the new." Henry David Thoreau's Walden

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by therumpus View Post
    Any suggestions for hiking/hanging Big Cypress?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Been there... Done that.....Several times.

Just make sure you have a sealed bug net and either an under quilt, a weather shield or Perimytherin (sp) on the bottom.... They have real skeeters down there..... Also if over a set of cypress knees, make sure your suspension is secure.

Pan

PS.... Have an adequate tarp as you can get some real rain if it turns bad.
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Thanks Pan! Greatly appreciated.

Ouch! I've been reading that the mosquitos lighten up this time of year...

I hang an ENO and do not have a bug net yet. In order to get by, I figure I could wear a head net and spray any other exposed areas and then wrap up in the hammock?
    "Every generation laughs at the old fashions, but follows religiously the new." Henry David Thoreau's Walden

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images

I hang an ENO and do not have a bug net yet. In order to get by, I figure I could wear a head net and spray any other exposed areas and then wrap up in the hammock?
    I've hung in a cypress stand on the Seminole Resevation twice in January's past.... Believe me..... the skeeters are an issue to be dealt with

Enjoy!

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Don't even think about trying it without a bugnet. I paddled into the Okeefenokee last March and the mosquitos were really bad at night, they would sit on my Hennessy bug net and sing a tune. During the day they weren't an issue. Mountain Laurel Design makes a nice bugnet that'll work with your hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    Don't even think about trying it without a bugnet. I paddled into the Okeefenokee last March and the mosquitos were really bad at night, they would sit on my Hennessy bug net and sing a tune. During the day they weren't an issue. Mountain Laurel Design makes a nice bugnet that'll work with your hammock.
    Thanks Knee,

The Mountain Laurel Design looks great. Thank you.

I believe everyone on the strand and I appreciate the words, on the other hand, that's disheartening to not even try without a net....

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Skeeters are still VERY MUCH here; and I'm 2.5 hours north of Big Cypress! Permethrin is good stuff. I use it and have not had any bug problems in my hammock. That includes the dead of summer with no insulation or 'bug shielding' in place below. Carry some form of 'bug juice' for around camp and when hiking. You may not need it, but you'll be really happy you've got it when you walk into a .5 mile swarm of bloodsuckers. Bug netting is a no-brainer and a must in the swamp.
    Trust nobody!

14 years in the center of FL taught me a skeeter lesson. The skeeters teach the class. Skeeter 101 says in the foreword of the text, "ALWAYS expect us even when you don't". If you go in the Green Swamp unprepared, they'll call in for reinforcement. The Skeeter Feeders, that is.

Cannibal,

Thanks! I Permethrinized [did I just create a word?] my hammock, have DEET based juice, a head net AND I pulled the trigger on the bug net, should arrive within the week!

One other question, how is the water situation? I plan bringing an MSR filter but that only works if there is something to filter... Any new out there?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Water is flowing nicely up here near the center of the state, but I haven't heard anything about down south. Call the FTA (1-877-HIKE-FLA), they should be able to give you some pretty good info about water conditions.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast