WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Tim,
    I understand this was "floated" as an idea, but I think you have made a great suggestion. I'm not into "freezing" in January, but do like the area in the fall, as I suspect others would also. Maybe this could become another annual thing.

Any idea when the approximate latest date the area could be secured with a deposit?? I can handle the deposit, but it will be the middle of March before I know whether I have a job OCONUS. Don't want to put the money in too early and then find out I'm heading across the great waters. However, I do trust that any HF folks who attend would be amiable to covering my expense at an appropriate point if it is imperative that the money move soonest.

Do you happen to know if a group name for the Mt Rogers Winter hang was used with the park rangers? Might want to use something similar to ensure they "see" a continuation of the same good folks as before.
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Rockdawg69, no way to say for sure how long it will be before the group site will get reserved, but from what I've gathered by checking on it several different times in years past, it can go early in the season for that weeekend.
    It's a popular weekend to be camping at GHSP.
    If you were to choose to put the cash up to reserve it & things changed for you, I believe that HF members will be sure that you are reimbursed. If it came down to it, I would take responsibility for refunding the money myself.
    But I'm thinking we will have no problem drawing interest from a group of HF members.

The rangers at GHSP will know us as the HF group (or crazy winter hammockers), but the ones that reservations are made through (by phone) will not know who we are.
    I'll find the phone # for making reservations for Va state parks in case it's needed.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post

The rangers at GHSP will know us as the HF group (or crazy winter hammockers), but the ones that reservations are made through (by phone) will not know who we are.
    I'll find the phone # for making reservations for Va state parks in case it's needed.
    Thanks for the info. I can get the # from the web since it will be a parks-wide number. I'll see what interest they have so far and try to make a judgment on doing the reservation. I'll back-check the Winter Hang info to be sure I get the right site for the group.
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Thanks for taking an interest Rockdawg69.
    There is only one group site at GHSP, so no room for error there.
    You can reserve online or call 1-800-933-PARK.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Insulation
    UGQ down goodness
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Images
    This looks great! Tim and I would have to fly to a nearby airport if we can manage it.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. Buckles
    Images
    If Gumbo's gonna be there, I'm gonna be there!
    HangCon Sign Up:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

So many trees, so little time...

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Oooooo, that would be a good time to be there, judging from the fall foliage shots I've seen. I'll have to think about this one....
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Using the GHSP group site on the weekend of the Grayson County Fall Festival has a lot to offer, from fall day hikes in beautiful country to the festival it's self.
    Now if you are looking for solitude, this may not be the best place to go. But hopefully the rangers would allow us to fan out somewhat into the woods like we did at the winter hang. That would give us a bit more refuge from people when needed.

But note this... When we used the group site in times past, I felt far more privacy there than in most car camp sites because of all the leafed trees between the the site & the road.

As far as seeing it as an opportunity for some hammock education, it's great. We wouldn't have as large of percentage of "hikers" (as opposed to car campers & people just out for the day) as you would at an event like Trail Days, but I think there would be a fairly good exposure to hammock interest.

Another important aspect of this opportunity that I see is the continued relationship with the GHSP Rangers (& other Park employees) with their interest in seeing how hammocks are used.
    This is huge IMO considering the lack of understanding hammockers have experienced from so many people in charge of parks, campgrounds, etc.

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images

Thumbs up It's a GO!

Rockdawg69 has been kind enough to reserve the group site for that weekend!
    I called GHSP to ask a few more questions about things like how far can we spread out into the woods, promotion of "Hammock Education", etc, but the two rangers we would need to talk to (Kevin & Marceia) were out today.
    I'll call them tomorrow & get a few more details, then start a new "Planning thread" w/ current info in the first post.
    I'm excited! I hope some of you are too!
    The date has been added to the first post in this thread.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast