Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images

Brainstorming; Grayson Highlands Fall Festival; Sept 23-25, 2011

I wanted to point out this possibility because the group site at Grayson Highlands State Park, VA (GHSP) will soon be reserved for that weekend. If there is an interest, we should move quickly to make reservations.
    I called last week & the group site was still available but I was reminded that all sites will be filled for that weekend as it is a very big event.
    The cost is $67 per night for the whole group.

The rangers at GHSP were good folks & very helpful w/ our Mt Rogers Annual Winter Hang. They were also interested in our hammock set ups.
    I mentioned the possibility of having another HF "group hang" during the active camp ground season. In addition to our HF members just having a good time in the park & surrounding hills, the weather & additional people activity in the park would be an even better opportunity for those interested to see how hammocks are being used.

At least one of the rangers we were talking to in camp (maybe both) immediately suggested we might even go so far as to promote it as an educational program. We talked about HF reserving the same group site for that purpose.

I see that as an exciting opportunity. Not only can we educate a few campers visiting the campground, but all rangers at GHSP. And it has potential to spread a positive good word about hammock use to other state parks as well.
    Also, if they are as supportive as they sounded, they may even make ways (posters, hand outs, etc) to point backpackers & day hikers over to our group site if they are interested in seeing our hammock set ups.

Here's a thought that makes that even more exciting.
    If the group site has not all ready been reserved for the weekend of the "Grayson County Fall Festival", That would be a great time to do it. I've taken groups there on that weekend in the past & used the group site. Not only do you have all the day hiking you want, but the Fall Festival is pretty neat too! I'll find a link, but it includes all the typical stuff you would expect, including crafts, making of apple butter, molasses, apple cider, food & live music.
    The park will be at full capacity that week end.
    The festival is held in the picnic area (a road you pass before the camp ground road) so you don't deal w/ that crowd unless you drive around to were it's at.

Also on the same weekend, they do the annual round up of all the wild ponies. They are checked out by veterinarians, & some of the young ones are auctioned off. That all so takes place in an area off the picnic road.

Here is a little about the festival.
    http://www.ghfallfestival.50megs.com/
    I'm sure there will be much more info available as plans are made for this years event. Wayne Henderson sometimes preforms there, as well as other talented musicians.

If reserving the GHSP group site for that weekend is of interest, it should be done quickly. The group site goes quickly for that weekend, as well as other reservations.

A couple more notes of interest... It could be possible that one or more of our hammock vendors (JRB, others?) may be interested in reserving a site in the "Vendors Area".
    I'm sure it would not come close to something like Trail Days in sales, but it could do OK, especially if promoted.
    Also, there could be an associated benefit between a hammock vendor in the festival area & an "Hammock Education" effort at the group site.

I personally find this an exciting idea & hope each of you will give it thought & consideration.

One other note of interest... I did learn that there are trails that can be walked between the camp ground & the Festival area (Picnic Area).
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    slowhike I found this link about the festival..

http://www.waynehenderson.org/

(Also just FYI that is Father's Day weekend)
    Talmadge
    "GroundHog"

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    "I'm sure there will be much more info available as plans are made for this years event. Wayne Henderson sometimes preforms there, as well as other talented musicians."

Do they have a (m)unicycle riding hammock hanging juggler

I'd go just to see that
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images

Yeah!!!

Tim thank you for your homework on this event. I think you're right on with your insights. We could enlighten the next generation of hangers
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    What's the date?
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DOUBLE
    Tarp
    WB SUPERFLY
    Insulation
    IN SEARCH OF!
    Suspension
    tree huggers
    Images
    The Wayne Henderson Festival is different from the fall festival. Obviously Waynefest as we locals affectionately call it is in spring. Not sure of the dates on the fall festival but I think it is in late Sept early Oct.
    Tony a.k.a. bugman0914

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bugman0914 View Post
    The Wayne Henderson Festival is different from the fall festival. Obviously Waynefest as we locals affectionately call it is in spring. Not sure of the dates on the fall festival but I think it is in late Sept early Oct.
    Yep, thanks Bugman... two separate events, but both held at GHSP.

Grayson Highlands State Park Festivals and Regional Events
    * Park Festivals (in picnic area)

* Wayne Henderson Festival, Grayson Highlands SP, third Saturday in June; visit www.waynehenderson.org for details
    * Grayson Highlands Fall Festival, last full weekend in September

That's Sept 23-25 (added to thread title)

There doesn't seam to be much info online about the 2011 Fall Festival. Maybe later as they get musicians, etc lined up.
    Here's a little about last year's event.
    http://www.virginiaoutdoors.com/article/more/1579

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Thanks Tim. Provided I'm not OCONUS, I think I would like to make this one. Also, isn't this around the same weekend of Ed's SEHHA at Hot Springs???? Choices, choices, choices!!!!!
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Note, this is just being suggested as a possibility right now.
    If there were truly enough interest, the first need would be for someone to be willing to reserve the GHSP group campsite. There is only one group site at GHSP & my understanding is that it gets reserved for the weekend of the Fall Festival & fairly early in the year.

The cost is $67 per night for the group site. That would be $134 for Fri & Sat night.
    $134 divided by 20 people would be $6.7 per person for the two nights.
    Divided by 30 people would be aprox $4.47 per person for the two nights.

More later... spilled mocha on key board

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Running Feather View Post
    Do they have a (m)unicycle riding hammock hanging juggler
    I'd go just to see that
    No... but maybe they need to hire one!
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    More later... spilled mocha on key board
    Wow... I've
    I've herd of people "spewing" some kind of drink on their key board, but I knocked a large cup of mocha over, literally spilling it right on the key board
    I immediately took the batteries out & began cleaning & then drying. It works!

The Greyson County Fall festival is a lot of fun & a perfect time to take a group of friends car camping at GHSP. Along w/ the festival, there is plenty of hiking for those that want to see the highlands in fall color.
    But it's quite a commitment for someone to lay down that much cash in advance. I'm not able to, even if there were enough interest.
    Just thought I'd throw the idea out & see what happens.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast