Tarp
    Big MJ & Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti & 2 Wookies
    Suspension
    Stock straps
    Images

UQP, BBO, and WBBB w/DIY UQ

Thanks to 2QZQ for the underquilt protector. It works & looks great. I am using it to hold up a modified down comforter. Also using the AHE Bear Burrito Oven to retain warmth. It's amazing how hammocking stimulates creativity. Would like to see removable bugnet on Blackbird, or zippers on both sides to adjust UQ. First time posting video / pics.
    Last edited by Tumbleweed; 02-19-2011 at 18:33. Reason: pic's missing

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl & XLC
    Tarp
    Big MJ & Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti & 2 Wookies
    Suspension
    Stock straps
    Images
    Pic's here of UQP, BBO, & WBBB.
    Still learning, Tumbleweed
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Looks pretty good. I may have to break out my Blackbird just so I can try my undercover and BBO out together. Been using my Traveler hammock since fall. Is nice being able to reach out on either side of the hammock to adjust the quilts with the Traveler but on the other hand I really like the footbox that the Blackbird has.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pizza View Post
    Looks pretty good. I may have to break out my Blackbird just so I can try my undercover and BBO out together. Been using my Traveler hammock since fall. Is nice being able to reach out on either side of the hammock to adjust the quilts with the Traveler but on the other hand I really like the footbox that the Blackbird has.
    I don't have a traveler for winter so I unzip the wbbb and use the same shelf tieout stake for both. I have no trouble adjusting the right side of the UQ that way. But what I have found is the UQP really holds the UQ in position much better that without.

OP- Your picts look Great. I think you will enjoy that little piece of hammock kit alot. Thanks for posting the picts.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images

Florida Hanger

Brrr....you guys are making me cold just looking at the pics. I doubt I'll ever brave far below 20F in my hammock but I could be wrong.

I just picked up the breathable UQ protector for somewhat different reasons. I'm expecting to basically use this to turn my HH into a double layer hammock. Yes, I doubt I can rig this tight enough to hold a pad in place but it still adds a second "bite-resistant" layer for summer hanging.

I figure it will also serve as a windbreak and hopefully provide just a little insulation with the trapped air between the layers. This should allow me to leave the pads and UQ at home when the temps are above maybe 60F. I may try and rig up some kind of thin fleece UQ to use along with that setup.

Another top quality piece of gear from 2QZQ....

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    would i be able to get the same type of seal with this if a i turned it upside down overtop of the hammock? essentially creating a bbo? if not, why not?

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Wags View Post
    would i be able to get the same type of seal with this if a i turned it upside down overtop of the hammock? essentially creating a bbo? if not, why not?
    Having both I really doubt the UQP would work all that well as a top cover. The reason is that the BBO is custom fit to cover the netting only on the Blackbird and naturally is cut smaller in size. The BBO also has velcro slots cut in the sides for the side pullouts on the door side and shelf to go through that aids in holding it in place. The BBO also has non adjustable elastic along the edges that give it a perfect fit to the netting. The UQP would probably work ok as a top cover but fit wise it wouldn't be ideal.

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    but it would be possible to tie the 2 mid points and flip the cover upside down if i wanted? i'm certain it wouldn't give as great of a seal as a custom bbo, but it'd be a nice option for those who may not want to carry the bulk of both

perhaps that tight seal on the bbo is what causes the condensations issues that keep me from wanting a sock or topcover in the first place...

i'm ultimately thinking of this so that in the heat of summer i can simply carry my down jacket, and maybe the Q's UCP, and leave my top quilt and underquilt at home...

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    but it would be possible to tie the 2 mid points and flip the cover upside down if i wanted? i'm certain it wouldn't give as great of a seal as a custom bbo, but it'd be a nice option for those who may not want to carry the bulk of both

perhaps that tight seal on the bbo is what causes the condensations issues that keep me from wanting a sock or topcover in the first place...

i'm ultimately thinking of this so that in the heat of summer i can simply carry my down jacket, and maybe the Q's UCP, and leave my top quilt and underquilt at home...

Well I was wrong. It does work ok as a top cover actually. Not as nice of a fit as a BBO but it would function just fine. The pic below doesn't have the UQP attached well or anything. I pretty much have just laid it on top but if you fastened it down at the ends and the sides it would work just fine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images
    Wow now that's thinking out of the box. Nicely done.
    I would think you could even tie out the sides if wanted.
    Using the loop Donna makes in the side shockcord adjusters.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast