Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7dbl,Dangerbird 65
    Tarp
    Speer WinterTarp
    Insulation
    UGQ,JRB,MM
    Suspension
    WB, Whoopie Slings
    I think your question depends on what your packing and how your tripping.

Are you canoeing or hiking or Kayaking?

Do you have a foolproof set of dry clothes that you can garantee (sorry can't spell it's late, I'm sick, and I'm at work) will stay dry?

Do you already have a top quilt selection or will you be buying this?

If you can make sure that you will have a set of dry clothes at all times the 3 season quilt could work.

If you are basically wearing all your clothes while paddling then I'd bring a winter TQ, make sure it is packed to stay dry if submerged in water...one dunking and you'll be glad you have it!

If you are hiking Quetico...lol...then listen to what other hikers suggest or do what you feel best...I'm not much of a hiker and have poor knowledge on the subject .

I have a similar length whitewater canoe trip in northern Quebec planned for this August and I'll be bringing my winter burrow...or JRB Katahdin. On a northern, remote, and lengthy canoe trip I like to know that if I go for a swim and all of my clothes get soaked I can always get warm with my sleep system. Last August I paddled a river in central Quebec (sure not Quetico but similar latitude) and slept in a Canadian Military winter sleeping bag and was glad I had it. There is absolutely NOTHING worse then being on a canoe trip and unable to get warm at night.
    Last edited by Bunk; 02-06-2011 at 06:27. Reason: incomplete initial answer

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    HG std CF3
    Insulation
    Yeti; Mt. Wash. 4
    Suspension
    Dutchware kevlar
    Images
    Bunk -- Thanks for the tips.

I'll be kayaking, but have to be prepared for many portages. Everything goes into drybags. All clothing is quick dry: one spare base layer that can be combined with my breathable rain gear in a pinch ... however, only one fleece top.

Good luck with your trip. Northern Quebec is an area I'd love to explore some day.
    "I go because it irons out the wrinkles in my soul." -- Sigurd Olson

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    WB Edge (Spinn UL)
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Multimat
    Suspension
    WB cinch buckles
    I have a Sierra Sniveller as Pan mentioned. I like the extra width as it makes it easier for ground sleeping and a little extra coverage in the hammock. It can work as a full-length UQ or a TQ, and it even has the velcro-sealed head hole for use as an emergency layer (serape).

I've used mine down to 13 degrees at the NJ hang and similar temps a few other times even though it's only rated to around 20 degrees. I have no concerns recommending it for the temps you're looking at. If you're a cold sleeper or you are worried, you could bring an extra layer or use spare clothes for top insulation as insurance - silk or fleece liner, wool blanket etc. For myself I just picked up a wool poncho for winter trips that will double as a supplemental top hammock layer when needed.

-Jay

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe with 2QZQ
    Tarp
    CCS, Kondos, Mamaj
    Insulation
    HG Incubator TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Kayaking and portaging? I don't envy that. I am going to Quetico early June for smallmouth fishing. I just had my Hennessy Hammock modified with the zippers which I think will be excellent. But the last 2 years up there I have been cold at times. This year I resolved to stay warm so I just ordered a Hammock gear full length under quilt and top quilt, 3-season.

The other issue for kayak portaging is weight and bulk. From looking at the specs, it looks like the top quilts in 900 fill are much lighter, less bulky, and much less expensive than equivalent sleeping bags. I suspect that the total volume and weight of my new TQ/UQ combo will be less than my existing sleeping bag and I will be leaving my pad behind.

I am just asking: why kayak rather than canoe in Quetico?

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG std CF3
    Insulation
    Yeti; Mt. Wash. 4
    Suspension
    Dutchware kevlar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    I am just asking: why kayak rather than canoe in Quetico?
    I've been canoeing the BWCA and Quetico since 1963. Did one solo with the kayak and loved it. Why use a kayak? Its faster and more stable than a canoe. Handles big winds and waves easily. The kayak can travel on days that would ground a solo canoe.

Portages are the big disadvantage for a kayak. I've got my gear down to four dry-bags plus a day pack. Now, I double portage taking the kayak first, then balance the four dry bags on a kayak paddle for the second trip. The weight of the kayak is no different than a solo canoe.

(Of course many will disagree with me on this topic. I do not want to start that argument all over again. Each person is entitled to their own preferences. )

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe with 2QZQ
    Tarp
    CCS, Kondos, Mamaj
    Insulation
    HG Incubator TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by obxh2o View Post
    I've been canoeing the BWCA and Quetico since 1963. Did one solo with the kayak and loved it. Why use a kayak? Its faster and more stable than a canoe. Handles big winds and waves easily. The kayak can travel on days that would ground a solo canoe.

Portages are the big disadvantage for a kayak. I've got my gear down to four dry-bags plus a day pack. Now, I double portage taking the kayak first, then balance the four dry bags on a kayak paddle for the second trip. The weight of the kayak is no different than a solo canoe.

(Of course many will disagree with me on this topic. I do not want to start that argument all over again. Each person is entitled to their own preferences. )
    No, that's great. I agree that portaging a kayak is a chore. But you have been at it for half a century so why not! I thought you might be sticking to the large lakes to minimize portaging. Or maybe river routes. So true about the wind. It can get scary out there in a canoe, especially a little solo canoe.

I love to fly fish, so a two man canoe is preferable for that.

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    I haven't seen anyone mention an IX underquilt.
    I haven't used down, and maybe I'm too paranoid about it getting wet, but I've also had dry bags fail and would rather carry something that can be easily dried in the field and will insulate when wet.
    You might take a look at the Molly Mac Gear UQs at:
    http://stores.tttrailgear.com/-strse...Categories.bok

The other advantage is that IX is soooooo light and packs down to about the same size as down, so you can get an extra IX insert or two so you can adjust the temp rating of the UQ "on the fly".

If you like DIY, then you might check out my tutorial on making an IX UQ.
    http://gear-report.com/how-to-make-a...-camping-myog/

Sounds like a cool trip you have planned. I'm definitely jealous!
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

I hike and camp in the sierra all summer where the temp ranges from 90 plus in the day to below freezing in august.

I have been fine with a 20 degree bag (switched to jrb quilts for this year). I sleep cold but in the bag I never had to use insulating clothes, but for this year I am taking a WM flash jacket along with the 30 degree quilt just in case.

I personally think a winter quilt is way overkill. I use cuban dry bags for my down and sleep clothes so I have no fear of them getting wet and the weight is less than sil stuff sacks.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG std CF3
    Insulation
    Yeti; Mt. Wash. 4
    Suspension
    Dutchware kevlar
    Images
    Thanks for all the tips and suggestions. I just pulled the trigger on a Jacks-R-Better No Snivler. Hope to test it a few nights before the weather gets too warm.

BTW, IX is new to me. Think I need to purchase some just to learn what it's all about. Thanks for the suggestion.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12