Hammock
    Eno, HH, DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies

Hanging a hammock...how much "flexibility" do you plan for?

When I look at Whoopie slings, I see they often come in lengths of 4 to 10 feet, although the actual length is shorter (for the Speer WSs anyway). I'm actually wondering now what those lengths mean...total length of the rope used to make the sling...?

However, sometimes I see some pretty far-reaching and creative hangs in the gallery pictures...

Question is, if the average "reach" of a hammock with whoopie slings is 4 to 5 feet on each end (and I don't know if this is true)...what do folks do if/when they can't find trees closer than this.

What's the max reach of your suspension...
    What's the plan "B" if preferred supports are farther...

Do many folks carry some sort of just-in-case extenders of any sort?
    Maybe it's just a silly question...

Many thanks

Jim

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    I believe the "4-10' " bit is the adjustability. They go from 4' at their shortest, and 10' at their longest. That's what I've seen anyway.
    For hangs where the trees are really far apart, I carry a few lengths of 7/64" amsteel with fixed eyes in the ends, about 3' long or so.
    The trees around here are pretty dense in most places, so I'm usually trying to find trees that are far enough apart, instead of ones that are close enough!

PF
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    "Ideal" distance for me is 14' to 24' as my tarp is 13.5' long (X 10' wide) so I pretty much need to allow for that. I Can go smaller, but my hammock is 10' long as hung, & rigging my tarp with the short side as the ridgeline leaves me with almost no protection at the ends, so I try to not do that. I can hang the hammock without tarp easily to 11', much shorter means working harder than I'm willing to do so I move on to a better site.

IF I get a GREAT site with trees farther than about 28' or my tree choice is too large for me to get Whoopies & tree huggers around, my pack leash is the same Dynema as the Whoopies, & the belt on my kilt can easily support my weight (Yep, Ive tested it! Made it so it would do that!!) so I can get 3 extra feet from the belt & about 4' more from the leash (allowing for knots & such). I have done so in backyard tests only, but I do know that I can IF I have to.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Eno, HH, DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by PuckerFactor View Post
    I believe the "4-10' " bit is the adjustability. They go from 4' at their shortest, and 10' at their longest. That's what I've seen anyway.
    For hangs where the trees are really far apart, I carry a few lengths of 7/64" amsteel with fixed eyes in the ends, about 3' long or so.
    The trees around here are pretty dense in most places, so I'm usually trying to find trees that are far enough apart, instead of ones that are close enough!

PF
    Thanks, PF...
    The amsteel lengths sound like a good bet...

On the Whoopie lengths...I was puzzled when I ordered some of the 10-footers and 8-footers from the Speer site...
    ....fully elongated:
    - the 10-footer is around 7 foot
    - the 8-footer is like 5.5 ft.

I'm thinking length rating is the entire loop, not the linear reach...it doesn't really describe this on the site...maybe this is common knowledge a newbie like me wouldn't know yet...

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    DD, I feel your pain. That "description" is not very descriptive...min/max length of the slings would paint a more usable picture.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PuckerFactor View Post
    A 4' whoopie sling is 4' long at it's maximum adjustment. This is usually measure from the point of the adjustable bury entrance to the end of that loop.

The minimum length a whoopie sling can get is dictated by"

length of whoopie bury + length of fixed eye bury + length of fixed eye

I agree it would be useful in the specs for ready made whoopie slings to include a minimum length and the max length as it would eliminate the guess work based on "size" of the whoopie sling in question.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I carry 6 foot whoopies (max linear reach), 6 feet of webbing and a couple of 5 foot lengths of amsteel with fixed eye on both ends just in case. For the trees I encounter, 12 feet for each end of the hammock is plenty.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

well - one way of getting a little extra length out of a WS is to use it as a UCR - tie the end of the WS that would be free to the hammock and use the eye end with a weight - there is a post about this somewhere but ...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice View Post
    well - one way of getting a little extra length out of a WS is to use it as a UCR - tie the end of the WS that would be free to the hammock and use the eye end with a weight - there is a post about this somewhere but ...
    Good point. I actually have my whoopies set up with fixed eyes on both loose ends so I can get an extra 3 feet of length if I use the whoopie as a UCR.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by odds View Post
    Good point. I actually have my whoopies set up with fixed eyes on both loose ends so I can get an extra 3 feet of length if I use the whoopie as a UCR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice View Post
    You guys are just toooooo clever!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts