Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    "blue"poly tarp...
    Suspension
    prusik and ropes
    Images
    I'm a total noob, never slept in a hammock of my entire life (not exactly true, I did it one day in those hammock that come on a tubing frame in any hardware store because it was too warm inside) but one day in 2008 in the summer i think, i said why not use a hammock for camping it'll be more comfortable than a closed cell foam pad... google being my best friend to find something on internet hammock forum kept showing up and since that I want mine (I finished my first one yesterday)
    why should I have a rock, a root or anything else hurting my back in camping?

Hammock
    grand trunk ultra light
    Tarp
    camo poly tarp
    Insulation
    2 ww pads
    Suspension
    webbing
    Well i got converted one day when i was surfing youtube looking at all the bushcraft videos and one of them was on using a hammock. I thought to myself, "that is freaking the best idea ever." Well then I started searching my hammock camping videos and found all of shug's and man between me laughing and learning i was hooked for good. I then went out and bought me a hammock and have been loving life in the woods ever since. Beats sleeping on the ground all day long. Im almost talked myself into switching my bed out for a hammock

Hammock
    DIY 11' 1.9 ripstop
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I found HF after searching for a new sleeping solution because I had just got a new Jeep and I had lost my back seat camping solution. So I was looking at one of these http://store.kamprite.com/catalog/ and I didn't really like the price and what not it was unique but really I was not happy with it. Thankfully I did not buy it . Well I went searching some more, and I remembered my dad telling me about when he backpacked as a boy scout in the 50's (my dad is pretty old I love him all the same ) he has two if those GI Jungle hammocks under the house. I though about it and decided I didn't want to smell the old cat small while getting filthy under the house looking for them and I googled jungle hammock. I found the Clark web site. I thought the price was quite expensive. so I wanted some real people reviews. I found HF and was amazed I soon decided I did not want a Clark. two weeks later I order a Hennessey and a BB. I bought the Hennessey to use till my BB came. I used it one trip and the next my BB cam I was hooked I gave the Hennessy to my bosses kid for his Birthday to use on his boy scout trips. He has yet to go but they still love it. He had never slept outside all night with out going into their camper. It help I was about 3 feet away but he slept long than I did that night. I was proud. So far I have taken my hammock camping six time so far. everytime the people I am with just shake their head and say girl you're crazy, aren't you cold... etc. I am glad I made my decision. Hammock forever!
    I blame all grammatical errors on the iPhone

See my Completed DIY's
    Karo Under Quilt Adventure

DIY Mummy UQ (a how to)

Full Time since Dec '11

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    A few years ago a group from our local BSA troop decided to take on the John Muir Trail in sections over three summers. Some of the group took on a project of making our own lightweight gear. We wanted to develop some new skills and of course lighten the load. Ray Jardine's site was very inspirational, as was Mark Jurey's and somewhere amongst all the web surfing I came across Just Jeff's site along with Sgt. Rock and a few others. After one section of crawling into a tarp on my knees coping with pine cones, rocks, eneven ground and a ton of aches and pains I decided to give it a go and make a hammock. I lurked on this site for another three years and learned so much from the members but I also was so impressed by the free flowing information posted, the depth of knowledge, the entertaining way of presenting information and most of all the incredibly gracious attitude of the membership. Although the phrase "I would never join a club that would accept me as a member" came to mind, I became a member anyway and these folks have been nothing but wonderful.

Kudos to the members and especially the mods who make this what it is
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    JRB BMB
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10'
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / UQ set
    Suspension
    JRB tri-glide
    I first heard of hammocks for backpacking from reading CERTAIN's AT journal at trailjournals.com

Later Phil at sectionhiker.com wrote a few posts on hammocking.

After too too many trips where I had trouble finding a nice level spot I got serious baout researching hammocks and found HF, and through HF, I found JRBs.
    Love my JRB BMB

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123