WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Yeah, I made a quilt that (when used as an underquilt) gets me down to right around 30F, made with 2 layers of the 2.5 climashield xp. That was the lowest I got that underquilt before I started getting pretty cold. Cold sleeper though. I think we've established in another thread that you are too.

Using it as a top quilt, with a warmer UQ, I would think that you could get below 30F maybe.

So, I agree with Schneiderlein that
    If the combat is the 3.7 osy from thru-hiker, I would think a double layer should get you well below 30

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images
    That sounds so cozy!!!!!

I may make a basic square quilt instead of the Ray. I was looking at the Primaloft One, it comes pre-quilted too. In your opinion, is that any better than the Climashield?

Also, is there really any benefit to using the momentum90 over the ripstop 1.1oz? I don't really seem much of a difference.
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

Quote Originally Posted by hacktorious View Post
    That sounds so cozy!!!!!

I may make a basic square quilt instead of the Ray. I was looking at the Primaloft One, it comes pre-quilted too. In your opinion, is that any better than the Climashield?

Also, is there really any benefit to using the momentum90 over the ripstop 1.1oz? I don't really seem much of a difference.
    The Jardine quilt is pretty much square before you sew the footbox, you could do a drawstring for the foot and use velcro/buckles to make a footbox.

Images
    That sounds so cozy!!!!!

I have only used Primaloft for clothing and it was not prequilted. It seems to me that the Climashield would last longer with the quilting loops method, but I have no data to back this up. Prequilted is probably good, but heavier and less lofty at the quilting lines.

The Momentum 90 is really nice stuff that weighs marginally less than the 1.1oz ripstop. For weight savings, it's probably not worth it. For the nice feel of it, maybe. A lot of the regular 1.1oz ripstop you can see through even in relatively dark colors, so it might or might not be a good choice for clothing, depending on how much you want to show. The momentum 90 seems more opaque. For a quilt, it doesn't matter much.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    The Jardine quilt is pretty much square before you sew the footbox, you could do a drawstring for the foot and use velcro/buckles to make a footbox.
    Definitely don't sew the footbox shut. That pretty much makes it a single use item and precludes use as an underquilt. I wish I had known better when I made my first quilt.

Good idea, i just ordered the kit. I might not sew the footbox and try to use it as an underquilt for my HH.

Thanks for all of the informative posts on this kit.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345