Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

Ray Way Quilt, Alpine upgrade review

I finally got to test this quilt in cold weather, so I thought I'd write it up.

I made a Ray-Way Quilt kit with Alpine upgrade with all the bells and whistles (draft stoppers, Gorget, etc.) last year. It was my first sewing project, and I had some sewing tutorial and oversight help from blackbishop351. I never really got to test it out in cold weather. The temps warmed back up as soon as I finished it (figures). This quilt has two layers of .9 insulation (Polarguard 3D). The rated temp was I think around 28°F.

Set up in the back yard Saturday night with my 11x12 silnylon HH tarp staked to the ground. Hammock sock, hammock, KAQ underquilt, with the JRB Stealth as underquilt layered between the hammock and the KAQ. One triangle from my 9x9 Neo tarp tied into one end of the tarp to block breezes (experimental).

I wore 3 layers of Nike drifit shirts, silk long underwear pants, running pants. Fleece vest, Micro Fur Stretch tube (Turtle fur). Hat. Oh yeah, socks.

Temps were in the low 20's to high teens. I had to hang really low to fit under the tarp, which only gave me about 4-5 inches off the ground. My polypro straps stretched and slipped in the cinch buckles, and at one point I ended up actually ON the ground. Got up and readjusted. The Ray Way quilt itself worked fantastically. I was very happy with the results. I had the draft stoppers to keep the quilt firmly around me, and the extra insulation kept me very toasty on top all night long. I think with this setup I could go 10 - 15 degrees colder at least and still be warm. I had ice under the tarp when I woke up, but none inside or outside the sock.

The underquilts were the only problem I had all night. Since I was so close to the ground, my underquilts got compressed under me a bit. This left me open to some heat loss, which did occur. I was able to wrap up more in the top quilt and it was not too bad. (I was able to go back to sleep). I finally got up around 8am, as the neighborhood crows were above me and calling to each other. No sleeping once they arrive...

I'm going back to polyester webbing, I have not had good luck with these polypro straps. Without them slipping and stretching, I would have been able to hang in that space without compressing the underquilts.

Hope this helps somebody out there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by NCPatrick; 01-07-2008 at 13:08. Reason: Added temp history from www.wunderground.com

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Wish I had some of that cold weather!

What were you testing for with the tarp-triangle? I would think that hammock sock would make it tough to tell if it was helping or hurting. My 'sock-skills' are still young, so maybe it's an ignorant question. Still, I must know.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Eh, I was just messing around. I'm thinking that if I can keep at least some of the breeze from blowing past the sock, I can stay even warmer... but that's just theory and conjecture. I'd need a really windy, cold night to test. (hmmm... sounds like Mt. Rogers!)

- Mark Twain
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    NCP, thanks for writing that up. I had been considering a Ray-Way for a while now and wondered how well they did in colder temps. The price doesn't seem to be too bad and from talking with you in Hot Springs and Marta, doesn't seem to be too difficult of a sewing task to undertake. I very well may go ahead and order one when Ray is back from his latest adventure and is accepting orders again. Thanks again!
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Oh sure. It was a good intro to sewing project as well. But I figured having one would be a good motivation to keep moving forward. If you start now, you may end up like I did, with no cold weather to test it in. But you may sew faster than I do...?

Good luck!

- Mark Twain
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Is the quilt really stiff? I've heard a few people complain that it takes a while for it to really drape over you snuggly. Like Hooch, I've been eyeballin making one for a while. Never hurts to have lots of quilts, right?
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Not too bad. I know it'll loosen up over time. I just tucked the draft stoppers underneath me, and had no trouble. My daughters have used this quilt last year some, so maybe that helped loosen it up a bit. It'll only get better with time and use. Just the way I like it...

- Mark Twain
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Here's my one picture of this quilt in my gallery (blue is NOT what I would pick today... )

- Mark Twain
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Oh sure. It was a good intro to sewing project as well. But I figured having one would be a good motivation to keep moving forward. If you start now, you may end up like I did, with no cold weather to test it in. But you may sew faster than I do...?

Good luck!
    I think I'll order one when they open back up around the early part of the month in February. I'm thinking with your mad sewing skillz, you probably sew a lot faster than I do. It took me almost 7 hours total to sew my first DIY hammock last week.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Is the quilt really stiff? I've heard a few people complain that it takes a while for it to really drape over you snuggly. Like Hooch, I've been eyeballin making one for a while. Never hurts to have lots of quilts, right?
    Just sleep with it every night for a couple months, that'll solve the problem.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast