Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Using Snakeskins???

So I just got my snakeskins today for my ULB asym. I bought the size that hennessy reccomends, but how do you all get the tarp in with the hammock? Right now it's a real PITA to get the tarp in with the hammock. I actually gave up and took it off to wrap it up. what do you do?!?!?!

Images
    For starters I don't have a hennessey, but this is my opinion on the whole thing. I would not want my hammock in the same skins with the tarp. If the tarp is wet, the skins will press everything together and your hammock will get wet. I would just leave the tarp in a small stuff sack, or even an extra set of smaller skins just for the tarp. Having an extra set of skins will allow you to set everything up, and attach your tarp without taking it out of the skins. Then you can lay in the hammock without the tarp covering you, but can quickly set it up if needed.

I was thinking about that, but I don't want to take up more room in my pack with another stuff sack (although I might be buying a bigger tarp that wouldn't fit anyway).

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    No need to put the tarp in a stuff sack. Just stuff it in your pack. If you have outside pockets, put it in those. I keep mine in the outside mesh pocket of my pack.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

that might be a good call; what size tarp do you use?

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bredler View Post
    that might be a good call; what size tarp do you use?
    I use a 12x11 Black Cat tarp. I forgot to mention I use skins on my tarp.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Leave the tarp separate and tie it directly to the trees rather than clipping it to the HH. First, the tarp won't sag and flap like it does when you clip it. Second, you can set up the tarp FIRST when it's raining outside, then you'll have a dry area to open your pack and set up your hammock...hammock never gets wet. Reverse that when you're packing up...tarp comes down last.

Also, having two not-quite-full sacks (or a tarp and skins) will take up less space in your pack than one stuff-till-it's-not-flexible set of skins. Think of pouring equal amounts of sand and building blocks into a jar...which takes up less room? Loose stuff sacks can compress to the shape of your pack so there's no wasted space.

JMO.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Big MJ
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, HR & MW4
    Images
    All the aforementioned opinions notwithstanding, the trick to getting everything in to your snakeskin is to fold your hammock and tarp from the middle out to the ends to get as much of the fabric evenly distributed as possible. Then pull the snakeskin down over the the bundle, taking care to keep the opening ring on the snakeskin from rolling under, squeezing the air out of the bundle of hammock/tarp with one hand as you pull the snakeskin down with the other.

Like others have said, this makes for a thick, stiff, and perhaps undesirable package. I think a conventional stuff sack with a hole melted in the bottom for the hammock support line may be a better option, especially if you are using underquilts.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Here's a You Tube video of a guy using the snake skins on the HH with a stock tarp. Should give you a good idea of how they work.

Man do those skins look like a tight fit or what?

This video is also a good example of why I stopped using skins. You can see how much more bulky a skinned hammock/tarp is compared to the HH in the stuff sack that he shows at the first of the video.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    Man do those skins look like a tight fit or what?
    This video is also a good example of why I stopped using skins. You can see how much more bulky a skinned hammock/tarp is compared to the HH in the stuff sack that he shows at the first of the video.
    ahhh... but that's the reason for what jeff said in an earlier post... loose skins (or stuff sacks) conform & take up less space (paraphrase)<G>.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts