Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundtrip View Post
    Disclaimer: I'm a noob to this

Take a loop of shock cord and larkshead it to the tarp. Take a piece of guyline and larkshead it to the shock cord. Tie other end of guyline to stake.

Simple. light, no extra parts. Good idea? Bad idea?

-jeff
    Not a problem at all. The only issue with it is there is no "fail safe". With most/all of the above mentioned methods, if the shock cord breaks, the guyline will engage and keep your tarp from flinging all around.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, HHED
    Tarp
    WB Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    HG UQ, SS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    Well, final word on Tarp Tensioners for me .... I've switched to this method exclusively. Quick, easy no brainer type solution that uses the Nite Ize Knot Bone. Besides the Knot Bone is a neat little gadget with a heck of a lot of uses.
    Hawk-eye.. What an awesome device. I was looking around and found the Youtube and saw it was you which was all I needed.

These things are amazing.. I can't stop messing around with them. They have so many uses and I have their other tarp ties, but was always afraid it would poke the tarp. These things are so versatle I can't say enough about them.

Anyone have a source for 1/8" stretch cordage.. I can only find 1000' rolls..

Hammock
    Eno, HH, DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Agfadoc View Post
    I always get mine off Ebay in 50 or 100 foot lengths...

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendertoe View Post
    Not a problem at all. The only issue with it is there is no "fail safe". With most/all of the above mentioned methods, if the shock cord breaks, the guyline will engage and keep your tarp from flinging all around.
    That might be a good thing:
    -Anything strong enough to break the tensioner could also rip the tarp (whether it be wind, a person, a critter, etc.). I prefer to make sure that my tarp line is the "weak link" so that the line breaks before the tarp. I can replace a tie-out line in the field easier than fixing a tear in the tarp. I worry about the shock load that would be put on the tarp if the elastic broke and got things moving quickly, then the line got taught and brought it all to a halt in a hurry. Might rip the tarp, might pull up the stake and shoot it at the tarp... who knows.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Thinlight pad
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    I was thinking of just using ball bungees at the tarp with figure 9 carabiners attached to line that goes to the stake.

Maybe those little ball bungees will prove unsuitable, or maybe people wouldn't find them lite enough. For my part, I plan on doing some bike touring/hammock camping, and extra bungees always come in handy on the bike, so they could pull double duty.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Hawk-eye.. What an awesome device. I was looking around and found the Youtube and saw it was you which was all I needed.

These things are amazing.. I can't stop messing around with them. They have so many uses and I have their other tarp ties, but was always afraid it would poke the tarp. These things are so versatle I can't say enough about them.

Find a store that sells climbing rope. they often have it by the foot. AHE has it, too... Joann's has 3/16" by the yard CHEAP. I find that 3/6" looped works pretty good...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by rjcress View Post
    That might be a good thing:
    -Anything strong enough to break the tensioner could also rip the tarp (whether it be wind, a person, a critter, etc.). I prefer to make sure that my tarp line is the "weak link" so that the line breaks before the tarp. I can replace a tie-out line in the field easier than fixing a tear in the tarp. I worry about the shock load that would be put on the tarp if the elastic broke and got things moving quickly, then the line got taught and brought it all to a halt in a hurry. Might rip the tarp, might pull up the stake and shoot it at the tarp... who knows.
    Interesting way to look at it.

I was more so thinking along the lines of a tarp swinging wildly in the wind catching on any limb above or near it and the catastrophe that would ensue not to mention the down/synthetic soaking rains coming down on you while your tarp is flinging about.

I do wonder how much force would build up if the tensioner would break considering the 2-3 inch difference between the shockcord and the line.

I also wonder how often I'll see winds that are going to be strong enough to actually do this.

HYOH as always.

The person comment above does scare the heck outta me though. A much more real danger to me at least (I'm clumsy as heck).

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs

I think this is what you are looking for. I assume 1/8" will fit just fine in the knot bone? They also have knot bones at REI.

http://www.rei.com/product/603003

http://www.rei.com/product/603003

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    If you like knot bones, you would like these from Dutch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnZBKpCPXhs

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    Those are pretty slick, never seen that video before. Where are thay being sold?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast