Ask me tomorrow
    Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images
    Wow! Crazy trip! Glad you guys had fun despite the re-direction and glad you are safe.
    Great video, too!!

Images
    Now that you guys have had a little time to reflect on this wintery trip could you offer any advice on what you packed? Did it work? What did you wish you had brought? You know that kinda stuff.

thanks

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gqgeek81 View Post
    That's the one
    I have always seen that Croatan NF sign on my way to that hotel and wondered if that was close to the Neusiok trail. I live about 3 hours from there but frequently work right across the street there in that old strip mall. Small world.

Images

re

Quote Originally Posted by eflat7 View Post
    I have always seen that Croatan NF sign on my way to that hotel and wondered if that was close to the Neusiok trail. I live about 3 hours from there but frequently work right across the street there in that old strip mall. Small world.
    The hotel is about 9 miles or so from the norther trailhead so its pretty close.

Images

re

Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Now that you guys have had a little time to reflect on this wintery trip could you offer any advice on what you packed? Did it work? What did you wish you had brought? You know that kinda stuff.

thanks
    Well we aborted so we didn't use a whole lot of the gear we took.

however always write down my complaints, thoughts, and wishes about our gear when I get back from a trip and use those notes to prioritize what I mod, make or buy for the next trip. So lets see....

We had on various types of gloves, but none of them were waterproof. That would have been a big help.

None of us have bothered with a soft shell yet. We did have some cheap disposable ponchos on us that might have helped keep us a bit drier but we didn't touch them. While we were still on the trail it was getting very obnoxious having snow knocked off the leaves and down the back of your neck. A hood would have been nice. Montbell has a super lightweight softshell I saw in one of the magazines the other night. Something like 4oz i think.

I might mark one of my trekking poles so it can be used as a ruler. That way I can measure how deep the water or snow is.

For cold weather I'm going with my Gortex high top hiking shoes regardless of the weather.

I had some columbia synthetic thermal bottoms with me I planned to sleep in but figured they'd be too warm to hike in. I'm confident they would have been nice a cozy.... at least till they got wet too. I should probably do some homework on those at the house this winter. Try them on for a walk around the neighborhood on a cold day, or even a not so cold day and see how they do.

We took a LOT of hand warmers I found on clearance. They didn't do much of anything. That's probably 10oz we could have saved if I had tried one out before hand.

We now have I think 4 sets of the wally world dry bags and they are getting hard to tell apart. Some of them are dedicated bags at this point. I'm thinking about using a stencil and a sharpie to make them a little different from each other. A bear outline for the bear bag for instance.

For anyone that has a WebOS device I can recommend the app MojoTracker. I used it to create a KMZ file for Google Earth of our trip. It worked great for that.

Other then that, we didn't use a whole lot. It would have been my first hang in my new UCR suspension too

I think we're going to try and drag Matt to Raven Rock sometime for an overnight-er or maybe even just a dayhike in Umstead with weighted packs and break him in some more.

Images
    Good info, thanks for taking the time to answer my question.
    We can all learn from trip reports like this.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12