DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    none yet
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

no pins, no slide sewing. Ooooh :)

I've seen techniques for this but have allways been stubborn and crammed the little bunches of fabric (yes I know there is a technical term that has probably been reduced to an acronym under the foot.

I was at walmart today looking for thread. I stumbled across this stuff in a spray can used for quilting. I am an artist and it looked exactly like spray mount. Basically adhesive in a can. Figured I'd try that since I already had some.

Well short story shorter. Block your edge with a piece of paper. Spray both edges that you intend to 'inject' together' (sorry I kept wondering if I needed to sell my sewing machine for a thread injector. allow to dry and then you can stick them together. no ill effects and I just sew... injected, hmmm about two yards worth of scrap without one side being longer than the other.

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    I'll have to try this.
    Can't stand pinning, and often end up with one side slightly longer than the other.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 whipped ends
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' Sil
    Suspension
    Whoopie SLS
    Does it come off easy?

I've though about using something like that, but I don't want to add weight. With silnylon, how would any water get inside a seam to wash off the adhesive? I you clean it off after only one row of stitching? Then continue stitching?
    Life is hard? Compared to what?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Be very careful with adhesives of any kind, spray adhesives in particular. They can build up on the needle and transfer to the working parts of the machine. Very nasty to clean off and potentially expensive. There are adhesives used in place of stitching. They are usually an iron on heat activated substance. I am not overly imporessed with their durability on stress affected seams. For things like the interfacings and patches they can be very effective. If memory serves someone did a test series on Stitch Witchery and found it failed after a few stress events.

Sil is extremely impervious to adhesives except for certain compounds made specifically for silicon impregnated nylons. They are primarily desgned to seal the seams and not to serve as an adhesive. All in all they sound like great ideas. But they have serious drawbacks which need to be taken into consideration.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    If it's for quilting: it's called Basting Spray...

Many are advertised to "not gum needles". and are water soluble... just wash it out...

Never used the stuff, though...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    none yet
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Be very careful with adhesives of any kind, spray adhesives in particular. They can build up on the needle and transfer to the working parts of the machine. Very nasty to clean off and potentially expensive. There are adhesives used in place of stitching. They are usually an iron on heat activated substance. I am not overly imporessed with their durability on stress affected seams. For things like the interfacings and patches they can be very effective. If memory serves someone did a test series on Stitch Witchery and found it failed after a few stress events.

Sil is extremely impervious to adhesives except for certain compounds made specifically for silicon impregnated nylons. They are primarily desgned to seal the seams and not to serve as an adhesive. All in all they sound like great ideas. But they have serious drawbacks which need to be taken into consideration.
    yep I did think about the build up. I threw my old singer under the bus on that one. Mainly because I used spray mount. User beware. No I'll effects and I'm going to walmart tomorrow for the quilting spray. I'll keep everyone posted on the effects. My machine is older than me.

P.S. Spray Mount is also for fabric. just read the back of the can. No Chlorophlorocarbons.
    the sky is brain colored and the thunder sounds like something thinking of something.
    'morrison, Lennon, Zen, husband of Anne rice.'
    Last edited by grok; 02-08-2011 at 00:46. Reason: P.S.
    God let me be the man that my dog thinks I am

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 whipped ends
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' Sil
    Suspension
    Whoopie SLS
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    If it's for quilting: it's called Basting Spray...

Many are advertised to "not gum needles". and are water soluble... just wash it out...

Never used the stuff, though...
    It's made to wash out of fabric that washes. The problem with silnylon is it's waterproof. The only way I could see it working is to wash it after the first row of stitching. If you finish the hem or seam, I would think the adhesive would trapped inside forever. Is it an issue? Other than adding a little weight, probably not. I just like to build my stuff as light as possible
    Life is hard? Compared to what?

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    I just finished my first tarp last night and I used Stitch Witchery .... I had just a touch ... minuscule amount on the needle ... it worked fine just to hold it to sew ... there's is no way it would hold without sewing ... I also tried a product named HeatNBond that is a permanent no-sew adhesive ... it has a paper backing that you peel off after you iron it in place and then place the material over that strip and heat it again ... this held a bit better but would never hold permanent on Sil or other type materials...I do think it's way easier then pinning it as the seams are flat and it went right through and I could continue to sew the whole time without the pins snagging the loose material ...I highly recommend the Stitch Witchery

Last edited by Black Wolf; 02-08-2011 at 16:58. Reason: omitted a word
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post

True, true, but ...

You have to sew it before washing.

• + New Posts