Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    3 Season Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by A__S__U View Post
    Just signed on to HF. I'll be there with a buddy of mine.
    Hello ASU,

Glad to see you on HF. I'll bring the ENO Dry Fly and Bug Net for you. See you Saturday.

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    Bumpity bump. I'm hoping we have the option to hike to the campsite first, then do the long loop with just hydration packs. My buddy is recovering from surgery to his leg. Although it is almost 100%, he hasn't rehabbed enough to walk more than a couple miles, but he def wants to attend!

That way I can get him there, then walk.
    Last edited by eflat7; 02-23-2011 at 11:58.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    The Birkhead Wilderness is only 5 miles long and 3.5 miles wide.

Given Bobby's constraint, I'm going to suggest that we hike a little over one mile to the campsite described in option 1) in this post. Then, if anyone would like to do a 4 to 6 mile loop from there, there are two good options.

It's about a 4 mile loop to go north to the Birkhead Trail, then back along the Robbins Branch Trail. This route shows you the highest ridge and one of the prettiest creeks, as well as another quartz covered ridge and another creek.

A 5 - 6 mile loop hike through several different kinds of terrain is to go north to the Birkhead Trail, across toward Cedar Rock Mountain and back via Fern Valley, Birkhead Trail and Hannah's Creek Trail.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    The Birkhead Wilderness is only 5 miles long and 3.5 miles wide.

Given Bobby's constraint, I'm going to suggest that we hike a little over one mile to the campsite described in option 1) in this post. Then, if anyone would like to do a 4 to 6 mile loop from there, there are two good options.

It's about a 4 mile loop to go north to the Birkhead Trail, then back along the Robbins Branch Trail. This route shows you the highest ridge and one of the prettiest creeks, as well as another quartz covered ridge and another creek.

A 5 - 6 mile loop hike through several different kinds of terrain is to go north to the Birkhead Trail, across toward Cedar Rock Mountain and back via Fern Valley, Birkhead Trail and Hannah's Creek Trail.
    This sounds very good to me if everyone else agrees. That way everybody can meet in one site, then hike out from there. I am looking forward to a long hike, but will have some newbies with me that might not want to. Not to mention my hiking partner Alex, who had surgery.

I don't want to be bossy so if this isn't ok with everyone else that is okay. Just wanted to get a "plan" set in stone so we can all know what is going on and camp in the same vicinity, not to mention make everyone happy .

Is this plan (Mac's) ok with everyone?

Hammock
    HH Explorer deluxe,1.1dbl WB
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    pad, 3season nest
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Sounds good to me guys, as far as I know Im off work, but it may change come friday....
    Im looking forward to meeting everyone
    learning everyday...

Images
    Mac, it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to make it Friday, but I should be there on Saturday morning.
    Talmadge
    "GroundHog"

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Just to make it clear... the meeting place is the parking lot at 0930. We can all hike together to the camp site. It's not on a named trail. We'll make a rock cairn where the trail departs from the Hannah's Creek Trail. (There's already an old, short, rock wall there.)

For those who arrive after we depart from the parking lot, I will have my FRS radio on channel 11.

From the camp site, there are many hikes we can do. It's as close to being a central location as you'll find in the Birkheads. From that site...

1) there is a short cut trail that goes north to the Birkhead Trail.
    2) It's an easy bushwack due north to the next hill top, where you can take a short cut trail to the west, down the hill to the Robbins Branch Trail, near where it intersects the Thornburg Trail.
    3) you can follow the ridge east through a beautiful area, then turn south and intersect the east end of the Hannah's Creek Trail, where the old graveyard is located. Beyond that is the southeast corner of the Birkhead Wilderness, where the caldera is located on a three peaked ridge.

Almost everywhere you can go from that site, you can return via a different trail.

- MacEntyre
    Last edited by MacEntyre; 02-23-2011 at 18:37.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    I'm still am maybe. Been fighting bronchitis for the past week and a half. May have to stay home and work on all the honey-do stuff that I fell behind on while sick.
    Although I'm still hoping to be there Sat morning to join the crew for the hike to the site.
    Just may have to leave after lunch to head home on Sunday with enough time to get some stuff done around the house.

So... all of that to reinforce my "maybe" from before.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Friday's forecast has been changed to "Morning Rain, Breezy"
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    diy gathered end
    Tarp
    diy, syl nylon
    Insulation
    PLUQ&TQ IXUQ&TQ
    Suspension
    1" plypro web & ws
    If that holds what time will you be there friday? Can you get any worth while maps at the office near Troy? I have been thinking about stopping at the office on friday to see what maps and info I can get.

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast