Hammock
    Eno, HH, DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies

Anyone add guyline storage bags to their tarps...?

I'm sweating the thought of adding some DIY storage bags to my new Superfly, which I haven't even pitched yet

...just for the 4 corners...

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    I find a plastic bag looped over the ridge line works fine and lasts for weeks anyways. Not pretty and I've often thought of making a dedicated, "pretty" bag, but never got to it.
    grinder

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Another option

is to attach 1/8" shockcord loops with mini cordlocks at each tie-out point and gather the guylines via flaking around your thumb and little finger, then secure with the loop.

This will probably irk the gram-weenies, but I are not one. And like you, I am still outfitting my SF, with no actual setup in the piney woods as yet.

Jim
    too lazy to sew a bunch of mini-ditty bags for cords.

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    I built pockets for my guy lines into my corner reinforcements.

You can see where the stitching stops and leaves a gap in the middle.
    I've read others report that the lines fall out of the pocket easily, but mine stay stowed pretty well.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    I did exactly that once, little bags hanging off each guyline attachment point to stuff the rolled up guyline in.

In the end I found it more time consuming to stuff the cord roll in than was worth the time, or the (small) weight. If I bundle the cord using the figure-8 round a couple of fingers technique, it stays bundled and doesn't tangle up.

I do like the pockets that HH and some DIY tarps have. If I ever get around to making a tarp I might put those in.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I don't think I would like storage "bags" haging from the corners, but I think the built in corner storage on the corners like rjcress & HH leaves you w/ a neat package.
    But as I used them in the field it seamed to time consuming trying to stuff the guy lines into those small pockets unless I secured them into a bundle first. Then I could easily stick them into the corner storage.
    But, since I use a snake skin, it works just as well to simply pull the snake skin over the exposed (& secured) bundles of guy line hanging from each corner, with out using the corner storage. So personally, that's what I have become happy with. You still have a nice, neat package when you deploy the snake skins, with out the extra steep of putting them into & taking them out of the pockets.
    Just my thoughts.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    I don't think I would like storage "bags" haging from the corners, but I think the built in corner storage on the corners like rjcress & HH leaves you w/ a neat package.
    But as I used them in the field it seamed to time consuming trying to stuff the guy lines into those small pockets unless I secured them into a bundle first. Then I could easily stick them into the corner storage.
    But, since I use a snake skin, it works just as well to simply pull the snake skin over the exposed (& secured) bundles of guy line hanging from each corner, with out using the corner storage. So personally, that's what I have become happy with. You still have a nice, neat package when you deploy the snake skins, with out the extra steep of putting them into & taking them out of the pockets.
    Just my thoughts.
    2X on snake skins for tarp and guidelines.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 dbl w/DIY Risk style bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY WW camo rect.
    Insulation
    DIY SB UQ/ IX UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I added a SMALL length of elastic band on the hem to store the bundled line.
    Thread
    The trees are drawing me near, I've got to find out why?
    Those gentle voices I hear, explain it all with a sigh.
    "Tuesday Afternoon" Moody Blues

Even duct-tape can't fix stupid.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    For one tarp I combined tie-out reinforcements of pack cloth with a small bag with snap closure to hold the line wrapped around a MSR Groundhog stake, permanently attached. It's well worth the convenience of having everything to hand and doesn't add much weight. That tarp only needs one tie-out on each side, so using fewer stakes more than compensates for the weight of the pocket. The tie-out line is secured to the tarp with a short piece of line with a Penberthy knot, so it's adjustable from under the tarp. The rest of the line (past the Penberthy) can be used for a tie-down to a rock bag (12" square of nylon), which is adjustable with a line-loc. Everything stores in the 2.5"x 7.5" pocket, which is sewn along the edge of the tarp. So far (3 years use) the tarp has slid smoothly in and out of snakeskins every time, despite the small additional bulk of the pockets.

I don't use any pockets or attach them to anything. I use the Speer no tangle line and just pull the lines out. First time my gf saw the mess of lines she knew she would be there forever undoing them. She was so surprised at how easy it was to untangle them
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

• + New Posts