Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Molly Mac

Molly Mac

So, It's been recommended that I get a Molly Mac 3/4 UQ Baby Orca and a Light Hiker Bedroll DL for my 1.7DL warbonnet blackbird.

Has anyone here used these products?
    How small do they pack?
    Do they keep you warm?
    Are they durable?
    Will the UQ fit the blackbird okay?
    What are the drawbacks of a 3/4 UQ vs 1:1 UQ?
    Last edited by Paladin03; 02-08-2011 at 14:01.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY Cat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ TQ
    Suspension
    WS to Ridged Strap
    Images
    I have a full MMG IX UQ....

How small do they pack?
    Very Well. You have to roll it up, not stuff it

Do they keep you warm?
    My experience has not been positive. Some people can make them work; I have not.

Are they durable?
    I added a ripstop layer to protect the IX

The footbox in the BB makes it a little difficult to fit. I added a tab to the end of the footbox to help. Some people just make sure the shock cord is OVER the foot box.

What are the drawbacks of a 3/4 UQ vs 1:1 UQ? Weight vs Warmth
    If you carry a pad, or don't mind your feet getting cold, the 3/4 is fine.

I love the idea of IX, but it just has not worked for me. Others find it works great. YMMV

Good luck.
    - William -

How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word. - Psalms 119:9

Man, thats not what I was hoping to hear :-/

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WLMiller54 View Post
    I have a full MMG IX UQ....
    Paladin03 is asking about the Baby Orca, which is 3/4 length and covered.

How small do they pack?
    Very Well. You have to roll it up, not stuff it
    I fold, roll, stuff then compress.

Do they keep you warm?
    My experience has not been positive. Some people can make them work; I have not.
    You should see what a difference the end channel mod makes. Send me a PM to discuss a free mod to yours.

To address the question, Do they keep you warm? Yes, they keep you warm! A Baby Orca is my choice. It's all I need down to freezing.

Are they durable?
    I added a ripstop layer to protect the IX
    Yes, they are durable, and they are washable. The Baby Orca that Paladin03 asked about is already covered on one side.

The footbox in the BB makes it a little difficult to fit. I added a tab to the end of the footbox to help.
    Again, check out the end channel mod that is on all the IX UQs now. Also, bias the suspension to favor the diagonal.

But fitting the footbox is not an issue with a 3/4 Baby Orca, which doesn't quite reach the footbox.
    [B]Some people just make sure the shock cord is OVER the foot box.
    That is what you do with all 3/4 UQs on the WBBB.

Note: All Molly Mac Gear IX UQs and Hammock Socks were designed to fit the WBBB. That pattern happens to fit any hammock.

What are the drawbacks of a 3/4 UQ vs 1:1 UQ? Weight vs Warmth
    If you carry a pad, or don't mind your feet getting cold, the 3/4 is fine.
    Most of the time, over the temperature range of the Baby Orca, you don't need a pad under your feet. Paladin03 said he is looking at getting a LH BedRoll, which will insulate his feet anyway.

3/4 UQs insulate that part of you that needs it. For most people, they fit to below your knee. Only when you get below 40*F might you need to put something under your legs. The LH BedRoll will do that just fine.

Thing1 and I have used 3/4 Baby Orcas to freezing without pads, and with comfort and warmth. Many others have done as well.

I love the idea of IX, but it just has not worked for me. Others find it works great. YMMV

Good luck.
    I think there are lots of folks who will tell a totally different story. Paladin03, if you look under this sub forum, you will find much discussion about the Baby Orca.

- MacEntyre
    Last edited by MacEntyre; 02-09-2011 at 02:14.

Hammock
    blackbird
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    yeti
    Suspension
    web/cinchbuckle/DC
    Images

Works for me

Have used the baby orca past 32 degrees, at this point I was more comfortable with a GG pad combined with the orca. If you fold and roll, it is smaller than a nalgene bottle. I just stuff mine with my hammock. It weighs a little under 9 oz., a great improvement in weight over my down underquilts. The construction is superb. This is the only under quilt I used all of last year and it served me well.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Paladin03,

I don't have a Baby Orca, but I've got a 5-in-1 Jerry Chair which is nearly the same animal. (Pun intended! )

I've found the 5-in-1 to be EXTREMELY warm. I've had zero trouble fitting it to my new Switchback, fits a Blackbird, as well as my Trek Light double hammocks.

Last hike I went on with UncleMJM and Texas Longhorns...the 5-in-1 was my insulation of choice and I'm pretty sure it got down to the low 40s that night. Zero cold spots at the ends and only slept in jogging pants, cotton socks, undershirt, and a thin hoodie jacket. I didn't even break out my AHE XL New River Underquilt. Didn't need it since the 5-in-1 was plenty warm enough. Could have easily gone lower.

We had a cold snap here in my neck of the woods last week. Temps down around 17-20* at night. Gave me a chance to do some testing. I put the 5-in-1 underneath my Trek Light hammock, put a small CCF pad under my feet, and threw a reflective blanket over top of my ridgeline and was TOO warm. I didn't need a top quilt. Winds were howling a couple of nights as storms rolled through. No big deal. I didn't get any drafts underneath me.

My 5-in-1 is totally covered in ripstop and I have no worries tossing it about or being gentle with it. When not in use under me I just cram it into my pack. Plenty durable!

Since the 5-in-1 (like the Baby Orca) is a 3/4 length device...I just use a small piece of CCF down at my feet. Works like a champ!

I am a skeptic by nature. When new stuff like IX comes out, I take quite a few steps back and gaze at others while they ooh and aah over the next new wonder material. Well, in this instance, I grew tired of all the kudos and wanted to see what all the fuss was about...so I happened upon a colossal deal and snagged my 5-in-1 Jerry Chair. Couldn't be happier with my purchase!

Hammock
    blackbird
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    yeti
    Suspension
    web/cinchbuckle/DC
    Images
    This is on top of Walnut Mtn. at the shelter. There is no escaping the wind at this shelter. It fell into the 20's that night with a stiff wind. I slept all night warm and toasty, with the baby Orca and a GG pad. Everyone is different, it is fun to experiment with all kinds of systems until you find a system that you are warm with at night. Good hunting!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by scooterdogma; 02-09-2011 at 07:37. Reason: add photo

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scooterdogma View Post
    ...BabyOrca and a GG pad.
    What size and thickness was the pad?

Did you put the pad inside the Baby Orca or inside the hammock?

I've got a 2' x 3' x 1/8" piece of CCF that I've thought of using inside a Baby Orca.

- MacEntyre, curious
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    blackbird
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    yeti
    Suspension
    web/cinchbuckle/DC
    Images
    it is a GG 1/8 cut to about a length of 5' , greatest width at shoulders is about 32", in a mummy shape. I always carry a pad, in case I decided to sleep in the shelters w/o hanging my hammock. Sometimes the shelters are to crowded for the option of hanging inside.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Scooter,

Pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by scooterdogma View Post
    it is a GG 1/8 cut to about a length of 5' , greatest width at shoulders is about 32", in a mummy shape. I always carry a pad, in case I decided to sleep in the shelters w/o hanging my hammock. Sometimes the shelters are to crowded for the option of hanging inside.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast