Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Zip
    Tarp
    HH HexFly
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Rings w/Caribiner

Question in Reference to Super Shelter

I have the HH EXPLORER DELUXE A-SYM ZIP. When I purchased it I recieved a HH EXPEDITION ASYM CLASSIC as the free gift. This being said, here is my question.

With the Super Shelter w/Over-Cover on sale at the present time, I am wondering if I purchased the #2 SUPERSHELTER 4 SEASON INSULATION SYSTEM for the EXPLORER DELUXE A-SYM ZIP. Could I use it also on the EXPEDITION ASYM CLASSIC. I have a AHE UQ for the Explorer, but thought if I could use the Super Shelter for both. Then my biker buddy could also use it when we go on long rides if it were a need in cold weather?

OR is the one made for the Explorer just too big for the Expedition that it would not work properly?

UPDATE: Just spoke to the lady at Hennessy and she said I MIGHT could fiddle with it and make it work. BUT it's not made to. I was still thinking that I could use a sleeping bag between the Super Shelter bottom and the Expedition. Maybe that would take up the space, be like an UQ and would work for either.

Anyone have any thoughts, please jump in.
    Last edited by Winchester52; 02-08-2011 at 13:39.

Yes. I purchased the #2 SS (for the Explorer Deluxe I don't have yet ) and I have used it on my Expedition sized HH Desert Rat.

Images
    I got the same deal you did, and have used the SS on both without issue. The Expedition w/SS I had down to 24F with light snow. The Explorer I've had down to 7F with SS and JRB No Sniveler.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Not to hijack anything but i also noticed all the buzz regarding the SS sale. But I have absolutely no familiarity with them. How are they against UQ's like the Yeti or Incubator?
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sandpiper View Post
    Yes. I purchased the #2 SS (for the Explorer Deluxe I don't have yet ) and I have used it on my Expedition sized HH Desert Rat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cross View Post
    I got the same deal you did, and have used the SS on both without issue. The Expedition w/SS I had down to 24F with light snow. The Explorer I've had down to 7F with SS and JRB No Sniveler.
    I suspect if there would be a problem, it would be with trying to use the smaller SS#1 with the longer Explorer. Things might be over tensioned. Using the #2 with the shorter Expedition, side tie out loops and openings might not fit in a precise manner. I really can't see any other problem, though you might have to fiddle a bit with the length adjustment in order to avoid too much slack.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon360 View Post
    Not to hijack anything but i also noticed all the buzz regarding the SS sale. But I have absolutely no familiarity with them. How are they against UQ's like the Yeti or Incubator?
    Well, that is a can of worms right there. I'm going out on a limb to say that most folks- assuming they have the money- will prefer the UQs you mentioned as well as the JRBs. And for a given warmth, the down products will pack down lighter. And some may have more warmth for a given weight, assuming you get every thing adjusted just right. Which is really easy with a dif cut design, for one ex: JRB MW. As well as the ones you mentioned.

As for the HHSS, it has it's own set of pros and cons. It's main pro is price compared to some others. Next is a built in extra bit of wind(top and bottom) and rain protection(bottom), a big plus IMO. Though you can match this with the other quilts by adding various socks. If you did manage to get the pad wet, I think it would dry quicker- and maybe be warmer when wet- than wet down. Though off the ground, wet down does not seem to be a very common problem at all.

Cons for SS: bulkier, very fragile pad(though I have used my original for 4 years- but it shows), needs a space blanket to work as advertised(some folks seem to not care for those). Maybe not as warm for the weight, Although, I have taken the ~22 oz one pad/SB well into the 30s with no problems. How warm is a dif cut full length 22 oz size long down UQ? Maybe 25? Warmer? But a 28 oz JRB MW4 has easily gone to zero, so it depends on which quilt.

The main thing to keep in mind is that there have been several folks that were never able to make the HHSS work for them. Too much condensation or cold or both. They have been much happier with down UQs, or a synthetic one like KAQ. But as the years have rolled by, there is a very much growing number of folks here who took the gamble and were plenty happy with the results, all things considered.

It's one of those things you just have to try for yourself. It will either stink or be great. Or you can skip the gamble and pay up for a down UQ, plus maybe some UCs and OCs for added wind/wet protection if you feel you will need it.

Good luck on your decision. EDIT: I just saw you have a WBBB and a HH? It has been done, but you might have to work to get the SS to work on the BB.

Hammock
    Circadian
    Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

is the underpad stiff?

Im wondering if the SS underpad is stiff leaving one a feeling of lying on a piece of styrofoam? Im looking into getting one but would like to know.. thanx, Bill

Hammock
    Blue Mammoth Ultra
    Tarp
    Blue Mammoth Cave
    Insulation
    Mammoth Belly
    Suspension
    Mammoth Straps
    Nah. It's not stiff at all. It's thin, light, and rolls up pretty tight. The only way I know it's there is because I'm warmer.
    Roll the bones_00

Hammock
    Circadian
    Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

non asymmetrical HH

can the SS be reasonalbly be modified to fit a non asymmetrical HH?

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition ASM
    Tarp
    Expedition ASM
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Shouldn't need any kind of modification, except maybe the top cover.
    Just another Ham in a Hammock....

• + New Posts