Hammock in a snow cave...?

Can it be done? Can you set up a hammock inside a snow cave?

I don't know anything about snow, really, or snow anchors, so I'm not sure if this is possible. But I've attached a picture of an initial thought. I figured that if there's enough snow b/w the outside anchor and the inside hammock attachment point, there'd be a potential for it to sustain the pull. What do you think? Is it ignorant to think that if you can stand on top of a snow cave w/o it caving in, you should be able to setup a hammock inside it?

I have an outdoor living skills class that I'm taking this winter and I'd love to give it a whirl during one of our outings.
    Attached Images Attached Images

There's only one way to find out!

Seriously though, I doubt it. There's no way a snow anchor will hold the 1000 or so pounds of tension. If I can stretch and bust 2mm spectra lines, I don't think snow will hold it.

However, if you tied up between two tree trunks buried in snow, it would work.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Sounds risky. But you could build a snow cave between two trees and tie to the trees. Snow trench between the trees sounds easier and safer, though.

If a snow cave fails when you're standing on it, no big deal. If it fails when you're inside, big deal. JMO.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Another vote for probably not. If you had pockets (big pockets) of ice to anchor to; maybe.

I think it'd be cool to do something like what Just Jeff suggested; find a couple of trees deep in snow and dig a trench between the two. You could find some branches and cover the top back up if you wanted to keep the insulation theme going.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    Short answer - no (I live and camp in snow country). That would be one huge snow cave (take you all night to dig it), and as others have pointed out, the engineering wouldn't work. Great idea, though to dig out some space between your selected trees, and build up a windbreak wall of snow. You could then hang a big tarp and have a very comfy and safe shelter.

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    Maybe if you make a snow cave and just happen to have a long pole you could stick, oh, say 1 ft deep in both walls then hang off the pole. Figure you would only need a 10-12 ft pole and who doesn't carry one of those when they hike.

i saw a picture here where someone tied a hammock (HH) between 2 trees with the tarp on. then snow was piled up to the tarp around more then half of the perimeter. the only opening was at the foot end by the velcro entrance. look around for it, inspiring photo.

In your browser, on the left holding this pose in real-time, for your amusement
    Hammock
    WBBBH (summer) and WBTH (3 season)
    Tarp
    Not blown away yet
    Insulation
    UQ Connoisseur
    Suspension
    Fig-9's no huggers
    Images
    The pics Skar578 is referring to is a setup Nigelp used.

I would definitely second the suggestion of trenching-in your hammock setup. You can safely used bermed or trenched snow walls, but I would certainly suggest using a tarp for the roof of the shelter.

These were Nigelp's pics for inspiration. - Let us know how experimentation goes. I am planning on using this type of setup in Feb.

Thanks for all the advice. Based on what you've all been saying I won't be trying to set up the hammock inside the snow cave. I would like to try the setup in the pictures, but I think the class will be having us build specific structures to sleep in each night. But, I'd bet I could set it up on the side.

• + New Posts