Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

Byer Style Bugnetting

Has anyone tried just sewing a rectangle of netting onto one side of the hammock like a Byer? I was thinking that it could just have a zip on one side and otherwise be sewed right round, but only about 7 feet long so that it doesn't extend all the way to the ends. It would pucker up a lot towards the ends, but that shouldn't matter as long as the ridgeline keeps it off the swinger.

When not in use the whole hammock could just be flipped over, and the netting on the bottom would conform to the body of the hammock.

(Brain still spinning) Or the zip could be eliminated with a Hennessy style orifice that's only used to enter the bugnet side, meaning all that's required is 7' x 5' of netting. 24' of grosgrain for the edges and something down the middle (a grosgrained seam?) to act as a ridgeline. When the netting isn't needed it could be used to hold a quilt or mat, or even grass or leaves.
    Last edited by Aramis; 11-27-2006 at 22:34. Reason: My Laptop Hates Me

Images
    I have been thinking about what to do about bug netting. The more I think about it I am leaning towards sewing a rectangle out of noseeum. Then using a drawstring at the head end to close it. I was originally thinking about something involving zippers or zelcro with a sil bottom. But I think for the weight the bugnet sock will be hard to beat. I am not sure on the exact weight, but 9'x80" of netting should be enough. Add in the drawstrings and cordlock. The weight of the extra netting will be offset from the weight saving of not using a zipper or grosgain.

Just a thought though. I haven't had the chance to sew it yet.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images
    My hammock is 10' 6" long, and I really can't get my head around being able to operate a drawstring on the end of a sock. Do you use a fixed ridgeline?

Images
    I do use a fixed ridgeline. I think I will have to pull myself up the hammock to close it. I like the idea that someone else said about this on another thread. A bugnet sock will work as a bug bivy if you need to sleep on the ground or in a shelter.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I use a Hammock Sock like that.* I just pull myself up the hammock to cinch it up...pretty easy. Not as quick as a zipper I guess. Seems like it would be lighter than a zipper, but figure that with a zipper you could shape both ends to the hammock...that's quite a bit of bug net you'll eliminate, which I think would at least make up for the weight of a light zipper.

The sock has worked fine, though. I would at least shape the foot end...you might save ~2 oz with no loss of function that way.

* I just made bigger version of the TravelPod with a sil segment at the foot end. Not happy with it yet...it's too wide and just barely too short for the most recent DownHammock. Once I get that fixed up, I'll probably retire the Hammock Sock.

Just finished my first backpack tonight, too. Again, not exactly happy with it but it'll work. Weighs 6 oz, but the padded straps are half that weight. At least it taught me what to do on my next pack! I'll get there one day...
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Sure ... it works....back before Byer brought out the Moskito we sewed a flat net with lift tabs on the old Amazonia by Byer... It is identical to the Moskito introduced a year later except we used only one lift tab and the Moskito used two and we used omni tape in stead of a zipper.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Sure ... it works....back before Byer brought out the Moskito we sewed a flat net with lift tabs on the old Amazonia by Byer... It is identical to the Moskito introduced a year later except we used only one lift tab and the Moskito used two and we used omni tape in stead of a zipper.

Pan
    Can you elaborate on that at all? What were the failings of the setup? And what's 'omni tape'?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY cat diamond
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & OQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
    ......what's 'omni tape'?
    http://www.velcro.com/industrial/omnitape.html

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Aramis,

There were no particular failings of the approach...Quite the contrary...please note, that Byer did exactly that the following year.

It was a good laying hammock, comfortale and low cost.

Personally, I came to despise the string ends because they were always tangling, but more importantly were a threat to break, though they never broke on me ( the strings on an M1965 JH did break on me in 2003, so grew my distrust of string end gathering systems)

Bottom line IMHO the simpler the design the less risks and the easier it is to watch the wear points...All desired traits in the back country.

FWIW... Smee still has his version of the two hammocks like this that we made in 2002 and uses it occasionally.

It is also worth noting, that the bug net on a TC Mosquito is made the sameway...A sew flat rectangle, same as the bottom, sewn on three sides with a zipper on one side) just suspended in use differently... so yes there is more evidence to suggest you can add a bug net as you are considering.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    My Crazy Creek is like that, but with the zipper down the middle instead of on the side.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast